Official Toby Sexton Signed Immediately

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one gonna mention the fact that Tanah Boyd is playing first grade over him. So doesn’t give me much hope

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one gonna mention the fact that Tanah Boyd is playing first grade over him. So doesn’t give me much hope
He was with the Broncos.

This was the headline when he left in 2019 after playing no games for the club.

Broncos lose another young gun halfback
The Broncos have lost their second young playmaker in as many days, with highly-rated halfback Tanah Boyd making a move to one of Brisbane’s biggest rivals.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sexton has 12 try assists and 4 tries in 24 games.. He has a solid kicking game. He's an organising halfback and does that better than any half at the club which isn't saying much. Defence is his main issue though. He averages 3.5 missed tackles a game..

As long as he didn't cost too much he could be a solid short term signing until hopefully Oloapu develops. If not, they move on with another option.
If hes taking Reynolds spot in the top 30 next year then I see no problem seeing as he wont be on much.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sexton has 12 try assists and 4 tries in 24 games.. He has a solid kicking game. He's an organising halfback and does that better than any half at the club which isn't saying much. Defence is his main issue though. He averages 3.5 missed tackles a game..

As long as he didn't cost too much he could be a solid short term signing until hopefully Oloapu develops. If not, they move on with another option.
As I’ve said elsewhere, both Flanagan and Oloapu average 2-3 missed tackles per game too. It’s a halfback’s lot in life, they get an edge player running right at them every set so they’re going to miss sometimes. As long as they are positioned right, don’t expose their inside and outside defenders, and at least make some impact on the runner and slow them down a bit then that’s all you can ask for I think.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I’ve said elsewhere, both Flanagan and Oloapu average 2-3 missed tackles per game too. It’s a halfback’s lot in life, they get an edge player running right at them every set so they’re going to miss sometimes. As long as they are positioned right, don’t expose their inside and outside defenders, and at least make some impact on the runner and slow them down a bit then that’s all you can ask for I think.
True, halves are always targeted. But Sexton has several games of 5-7 missed tackles so unlike Flanagan and Oloapu who actually have great technique but still miss some, I think Sexton will be targeted more because of it. But we'll see how he goes this week. At least he knows how to organise..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The logic is that 1 try scored is as good as 1 try saved at present we cant score or save trys.
BTW what other !/2 would have bought.
SO sundays score line is 60-6 instead of 66-0?, fuck yeah this shit genius. and BTW my comment had nothing to do with the sexton signing.

EuroNymous

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

For me if he can do decent positional kicking he is upgrade on everyone

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
True, halves are always targeted. But Sexton has several games of 5-7 missed tackles so unlike Flanagan and Oloapu who actually have great technique but still miss some, I think Sexton will be targeted more because of it. But we'll see how he goes this week. At least he knows how to organise..
Yep that's fair.

The other thing about missed tackles is I don't think any credit is given for the initial impact.. apparently the official definition is "defensive player does not bring player to ground or complete tackle", so if you've impacted the attacker but haven't knocked him over or you aren't still holding onto him when the referee calls held then it's counted as missed.

Seems to me that means a lot of defenders who impact an attacking player and unbalance him or slow him down for other players to make the tackles actually get a missed tackle recorded against them even though essentially they were the reason the tackle got made.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sexton is like a deer in the headlights. He plays like a kid who isn't sure whether he is a 1st grader. The BIG question is he gets hurled into a team that lost BIG 2 games in a row after playing reserve grade for literally a season. Think of a spit roast because that is what I think will occur. I hope I am wrong and the kid shoves my comments up my arse.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this true? or is it in the Daily Telegraph?

Nothing on the Dogs website.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Sexton does take the field for us this weekend, I won't expect too much of him, because he has no experience with the team and would be used to having players around him who know how to play rugby league.