Thurston AND Tamou RE-SIGN with Cowboys for 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
NRL.com

NRL superstar Johnathan Thurston is expected to announce he's agreed to a new three-year NRL deal with North Queensland, ending speculation linking him with a switch to rugby union in France.

The club has called a press conference for 11am AEST at Sydney's Crown Plaza Hotel in Coogee where it's believed the Test halfback and club captain will reveal he's staying with the Cowboys after months of conjecture.

The signing will come as major relief for the NRL which has come under fire over its salary cap as some of the game's biggest stars jumped to other codes in recent seasons including Sonny Bill Williams, Karmichael Hunt and Mark Gasnier while Israel Folau is still making up his mind whether he will follow.

The injured Thurston was in Sydney with the Cowboys for Monday's night's shock 32-14 win over Sydney Roosters at the Sydney Football Stadium, ending a run of four consecutive defeats.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thurston should actually be commended for staying in League and not taking more money elsewhere. The NRL is lucky he's decided to do so and can thank their lucky stars he hasn't done a $BW or Gasnier.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good for him if true! Last couple of months when i have seen him interviewed it has seemed almost 100% certain he would leave

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very good news for the Cowboys

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
It must sh!t the cowboys though, having the best player in the world in their side but haven't appearred in the finals in the past 2 seasons?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Its fuuny they didnt threaten him with rep footy explusion but they did for izzy lol

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
2million over 3 years = approx 660k per year PLUS marquee 50k PLUS rep footy payments approx 50k

He's earning around the 750k a year mark ... thats not too far off the mark from union or AFL tbh

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
No surprises there... the cowboys are in good hands now!

at least this'll put an end to those "We MUST sign Thurston ASAP" threads in the Bulldogs Discussion... LOL

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
No surprises there... the cowboys are in good hands now!

at least this'll put an end to those "We MUST sign Thurston ASAP" threads in the Bulldogs Discussion... LOL
lol true! same with the mateo ones also

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2million over 3 years = approx 660k per year PLUS marquee 50k PLUS rep footy payments approx 50k

He's earning around the 750k a year mark ... thats not too far off the mark from union or AFL tbh
it's still a fair whack off tho.

compare how much unions best player earns compared to leagues best player there would be close to a million difference i imagine

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
11/05/2010 11:10:29 AM
The North Queensland Toyota Cowboys are pleased to announce the re-signing of captain and halfback Johnathan Thurston on a three-year contract.

The deal extends Thurston’s association with the Cowboys to 2013 and will build a nine-year partnership with the Australian and Origin representative.

Thurston has captained the Cowboys since 2006 and is one of the game’s true marquee players, with a playing record that includes 13 matches for Queensland (2005-09), 12 tests for Australia 2006-09, the 2008 World Cup and the Prime Minister’s XIII (2006, 2009).

In a further boost to the club, the Cowboys have secured front rower James Tamou for an additional three years.

Tamou joined North Queensland in 2009 from the Roosters Toyota Cup and impressed with a try in his NRL debut in round 8.

Executive Director Peter Parr is delighted with the announcement that both players will be retained by the Cowboys.

“I think it’s wonderful that Johnathan has decided to again re-sign with the Cowboys,” Parr said.

“He is without doubt one of the most exciting players in our game at the moment and to have him here in the North for the next three years is a great boost for our club and our game.

“James Tamou is one of the best young forwards in Rugby League and to retain his services is also an important step for the Cowboys future.”

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
it's still a fair whack off tho.

compare how much unions best player earns compared to leagues best player there would be close to a million difference i imagine
You reckon ? there on close to 2 million a year ?

I thought Sonny Bill who had to go to France was only earning like 1.2 or so a year

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Roosters retention. Quality. They've got a real eye for talent...

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You reckon ? there on close to 2 million a year ?

I thought Sonny Bill who had to go to France was only earning like 1.2 or so a year
If SBW is earning 1.2mil, he's still close to double of what Thurston's earning (not including 3rd party sponsorships)...

And thats including the fact that SBW isn't the best in Union, while Thurston is the best player in the world in League

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Excellant news, Good to hear Tamou is re-signed

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Excellant news, Good to hear Tamou is re-signed
I get it! You are misleading people. People assume you think the re-signing of Thurston delights you when in fact the re-signing of Tamou, the lesser known player, delights you.

You may or may not have misled people with that post. We will never find out though as people will never admit that you misled them.

Well played. Except the part where you spelt "excellent" wrong.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get it! You are misleading people. People assume you think the re-signing of Thurston delights you when in fact the re-signing of Tamou, the lesser known player, delights you.

You may or may not have misled people with that post. We will never find out though as people will never admit that you misled them.

Well played. Except the part where you spelt "excellent" wrong.
Thanks Andrewton. slippery is not around, he is usually my personal spell checker

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks Andrewton. slippery is not around, he is usually my personal spell checker
It's alright. I can be more than just your spell checker. I'll also do anything you want. Anything except sex. And I do mean anything. ;)

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
If SBW is earning 1.2mil, he's still close to double of what Thurston's earning (not including 3rd party sponsorships)...

And thats including the fact that SBW isn't the best in Union, while Thurston is the best player in the world in League
Thats true

I suppose Thurston plays the big games, big events, prestige, immortal in the NRL .... you be sacrificing all that too

Status
Not open for further replies.