News Thompson happy to take pay cut to play at the roosters

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to admit I was excited when the rumours were circulating that he might sign with us …. watching his highlights I thought we were signing JG 2.0 … and thought we’d build around him & he’d start us moving back up the ladder ..

Not sure if Walmley just made him look good … whether we played him incorrectly, but through suspensions injuries and getting dominated it sure did go pear shaped … and it sure did cost the club some $$$ …

Think he’s made the right decision going back to England & hope he gets his career back on track … looks like Englands his glass ceiling ..

Good decision by the club not to re-sign him ..

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
ON sen when talking about Thompson they were claiming his Wigan contract would be $300K a year max - be interesting to know what NRL clubs thought his value was

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
ON sen when talking about Thompson they were claiming his Wigan contract would be $300K a year max - be interesting to know what NRL clubs thought his value was
Min wage

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
They probably don’t know you can pay a marquee player outsid tha cap

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
they also gave him a 4 year deal. In the NRL could probs only get a 1 with a MO. Clubs would want to see how he recovered from his inhury.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
they also gave him a 4 year deal. In the NRL could probs only get a 1 with a MO. Clubs would want to see how he recovered from his inhury.
If I was a club here needing a prop iD DEFINITELY THROW him 300k fir 2 years.
His upside is up, and if he fails or is 'meh' he can always retract into being a squad player or NSW Cup without the pressure of salary cap.
The hate here is because he took up significant cap space and only played to that value in 2021, but if he was a 300k player with us we would talk highly of him similarly to King.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think they got the currency wrong, should be £300k a year.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Initially they said 100K British pounds maybe 150k pounds - then started referring to Australian Dollars - no idea if theyr ae right or wrong - but if correct shows how over paid he was and what most nrl clubs think his worth is - or he really wants to go back!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Initially they said 100K British pounds maybe 150k pounds - then started referring to Australian Dollars - no idea if theyr ae right or wrong - but if correct shows how over paid he was and what most nrl clubs think his worth is - or he really wants to go back!
Thompson would be under the Marquee Player Allowance at Wigan, so his contract doesn't count on their Salary Cap. They are allowed 2 x Marquee Players and my understanding is he is the only one currently for 2024. From 1 December Mike Danson will be the 100% owner of the Wigan Warriors and he has deep pockets, a billionaire in pounds.

Always a Bulldog

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very disappointing. Brits produce awesome props like Fijians produce great wingers. Himself and Montoya are outliers.