The things that 'grind your gears' thread...

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I loved Scott Morrison's response in Parliament when Labor said that he's giving people too much money. He said something like, "We're not giving them anything. It's their money, you Muppet"

Then Labor comes out today saying they're going to double the tax cuts.
Scott Morrison is the best damn treasurer. I love how he's a no-nonsense politician. The only one I like really.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Honestly that would probably make things worse. Most people get into politics 'cause they're passionate about it. Then they stay in politics because they get decent pay and they get extra pay under the table.

If politicians earned minimum wage then they'd take even more bribes and we'd still be telling people that cigarettes are good for your health and climate change isn't real.
I honestly believe no politician are passionate about their constituents, just passionate about money and a bit of power.

If there are people who want the good for the people, they will be pushed out because they don't play the games the rest of them do.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly that would probably make things worse. Most people get into politics 'cause they're passionate about it. Then they stay in politics because they get decent pay and they get extra pay under the table.

If politicians earned minimum wage then they'd take even more bribes and we'd still be telling people that cigarettes are good for your health and climate change isn't real.
I know a few politicians covering the three levels (both sides of the fence). None well enough I can say I know all about them, but a few that I have had a number of dealings with, and usually when the cameras aren't around.

From my experience, most get into politics for genuine reasons. Some are extremely passionate about their job and the people they represent and they work 7 days a week in order to do so. Others, not so much.

Whilst the pay is pretty good, for me, its not good enough to put up with the shit that comes with it :grinning:

With the budget, i'm still trying to find out where one can get a burger and milkshake for ten bucks!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bro your baby belongs outside. Only hipsters who dress their dogs with clothes (in the same class as vegans) have dogs indoors.
NO WAY!!! She's our family, and there's no way she would ever be an outside dog. When we aren't home she's outside, but apart from that she has free reign when we are home, and spends more time inside around us.

Even at the breeders where she lived until she was like 5, she was an inside/outside dog (registered decent breeder too).

BTW: By clothes do you mean gorgeous hoodies so our baby girl doesn't get too cold?

Wahesh

Reaction score
NO WAY!!! She's our family, and there's no way she would ever be an outside dog. When we aren't home she's outside, but apart from that she has free reign when we are home, and spends more time inside around us.

Even at the breeders where she lived until she was like 5, she was an inside/outside dog (registered decent breeder too).

BTW: By clothes do you mean gorgeous hoodies so our baby girl doesn't get too cold?
Bro dogs are meant to roam free in the backyard. Just my 2 cents though lol.

As for clothes, I mean this:

THAT LOOKS LIKE A FREAKING STUFFED TOY, BUT IT'S A DOG, A LIVING, BREATHING DOG! DOG'S ARE NOT MEANT TO HAVE CLOTHES ON THEM!

The only exception I made yesterday was the Bulldogs in the Barcelona jersey to show my support to both teams <3

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly believe no politician are passionate about their constituents, just passionate about money and a bit of power.

If there are people who want the good for the people, they will be pushed out because they don't play the games the rest of them do.
On a semi-unrelated note, there's a funny thing about political campaigners...

Political campaigns rely on volunteers. Unpaid volunteers. They do it because they are passionate about the political movement. But the reason campaign volunteers aren't paid is nothing to do with budgets and saving money. It's because of psychological studies done many decades back that found something called Cognitive Dissonance and its relation to money.

There's a part of the brain that says, "I'm not being paid for this. I must really like it" and it convinces you that you do like it. This is why they don't pay volunteers, because it makes them more passionate about the cause because they convince themselves that they actually enjoy what they're doing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bro dogs are meant to roam free in the backyard. Just my 2 cents though lol.

As for clothes, I mean this:

THAT LOOKS LIKE A FREAKING STUFFED TOY, BUT IT'S A DOG, A LIVING, BREATHING DOG! DOG'S ARE NOT MEANT TO HAVE CLOTHES ON THEM!

The only exception I made yesterday was the Bulldogs in the Barcelona jersey to show my support to both teams <3
hahaha that's a bit over the top.

Our girl just has coats and hoodies (although we did buy a scarf and beanie from KMart for a laugh), and she did wear a jaunty "Birthday cake hat" for her birthday.

But nah.. dogs are companion animals these days. They might be independent sometimes but they crave attention and affection generally.

Our Lab is a "people dog"... she prefers the company of people to other dogs.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know a few politicians covering the three levels (both sides of the fence). None well enough I can say I know all about them, but a few that I have had a number of dealings with, and usually when the cameras aren't around.

From my experience, most get into politics for genuine reasons. Some are extremely passionate about their job and the people they represent and they work 7 days a week in order to do so. Others, not so much.

Whilst the pay is pretty good, for me, its not good enough to put up with the shit that comes with it :grinning:

With the budget, i'm still trying to find out where one can get a burger and milkshake for ten bucks!
India

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If not always, at the very least, the LAST labor Government. That's fo shizzle.
Last Labor government screwed up, then the Libs came in and made it worse.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What's a yes then?
Tax cuts beyond our means while neglecting our crumbling infrastructure

Selling Australia's gold assets at dirt cheap prices

These are examples of No's and what the previous labor government had to contend with.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Governments role should be to keep the economy ticking over and when the time is appropriate either tax cuts or boost taxes, cut spending or increase spending.

There are also effects of policy lag which more need to be accustomed to or learn about so they can correctly attribute economic trends to the implemented policy .

Ie I should be able to ask what specific policies effected our economy and you should be able to correctly address that question. Not bullshit blanket statements such as labor screws the economy and the libs fix it. I want proof with correct references

Wahesh

Reaction score
Last Labor government screwed up, then the Libs came in and made it worse.
Tony Abbott was unpopular because of all the bad decisions he had to make. He was a scapegoat Prime Minister. He knew what he was getting himself into, but at least he had the balls to do it. Labor screwed up so much, they NEEDED to go. I'm not saying Labor didn't do anything good, but the majority of their shit was a major cock-up - and I am a die-hard Labor voter, and I still voted for them at the last election and the election before that even though I knew all this. You cannot get any more unbiased than that.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tony Abbott was unpopular because of all the bad decisions he had to make. He was a scapegoat Prime Minister. He knew what he was getting himself into, but at least he had the balls to do it. Labor screwed up so much, they NEEDED to go. I'm not saying Labor didn't do anything good, but the majority of their shit was a major cock-up - and I am a die-hard Labor voter, and I still voted for them at the last election and the election before that even though I knew all this. You cannot get any more unbiased than that.
Labor definitely screwed up, but so did the Abbott government and the Turnbull government is only doing slightly better.

We have to remember that even though the switch of NBN from FTTP to FTTN was Turnbull's idea, it was Abbott who put it in. And that policy ended up costing more than Labor's idea. But if Labor never tried to introduce the NBN then we wouldn't have wasted the money at all.

Abbott also decided it was a good idea to spend a ridiculous amount of money on some broken planes and subsidise a bunch of mines that provided very little economic growth.

Honestly I haven't seen a good government since the days of Keating and Howard, and even they had major issues.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tony Abbott was unpopular because of all the bad decisions he had to make. He was a scapegoat Prime Minister
No bro, he made bad decisions. He had no actual solution to the problem and thats why his policies were vastly rejected. He burdened only ONE part of society with trying to balance the books, and the side he burdened were those who could least afford it.

He knew what he was getting himself into, but at least he had the balls to do it.
The balls to do what? Follow his ideological nonsense? That's not a show of balls.

Labor screwed up so much, they NEEDED to go.
Why? How? What was so bad? explain.

Labor definitely screwed up,
Same question to you, define screw up and explain why and how.

But if Labor never tried to introduce the NBN then we wouldn't have wasted the money at all.
Forward thinking infrastructure that may or may not have paid off, in this case most likely would. Budget would be effected by the initial outlay, yes, but there would be injection into the economy of needing to hire people to perform the work, injection to the government's coffers of charging for the use of the NBN.

So Labor's initial NBN was worth the money.

Abbott also decided it was a good idea to spend a ridiculous amount of money on some broken planes and subsidise a bunch of mines that provided very little economic growth.
And spend millions on school chaplaincy that not everyone can participate in.

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on looking for a missing plane

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on AFP raids (and flags - tongue in cheek) to beat an ultra nationalist chest

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on a SSM plebiscite (didn't happen under his watch but it was his idea)

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on witch hunt Royal Commission to tarnish the opposition leader (which backfired)

Cut money from a Royal Commission into church peadohpilia

Divide the community and create mistrust amongst the community.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Same question to you, define screw up and explain why and how.
After the GFC the Rudd government threw money around in attempt to stabilise the economy. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. The end result was Australia losing around $250 billion dollars with potential to lose much more before Gillard stabbed Rudd in the back.

Forward thinking infrastructure that may or may not have paid off, in this case most likely would. Budget would be effected by the initial outlay, yes, but there would be injection into the economy of needing to hire people to perform the work, injection to the government's coffers of charging for the use of the NBN.

So Labor's initial NBN was worth the money.
NBN was a good idea but it was done wrong all over the place. The biggest screw up was the Turnbull/Abbott change but the initial layout had issues too. Much of the NBN problems are caused by the fact that NBN currently pushes too many simultaneous connections through each individual node. The many connections through each individual node was part of Labor's plan. If we stuck with Labor's plan then we'd still have to spend a lot more than initial estimates after they realised the bottleneck.

I know a few engineers who worked on the initial and oddly enough it was an issue that was raised many, many times and something Labor decided was not a real issue.

And spend millions on school chaplaincy that not everyone can participate in.

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on looking for a missing plane

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on AFP raids (and flags - tongue in cheek) to beat an ultra nationalist chest

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on a SSM plebiscite (didn't happen under his watch but it was his idea)

Spend ridiculous amounts of money on witch hunt Royal Commission to tarnish the opposition leader (which backfired)

Cut money from a Royal Commission into church peadohpilia

Divide the community and create mistrust amongst the community.
Don't forget all the photos of him in speedos that we were exposed to.