Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Well pay did say ITS LIKE WE WONT SUPPOSE TO WIN , and copped 20k for it

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well pay did say ITS LIKE WE WONT SUPPOSE TO WIN , and copped 20k for it
Whovever sent that tape to Nine will be hoping that they are not identified...Bernie and Todd will not be at all happy that that audio was leaked although trey will probably try to convince the paying public that it meant something other than what has been intimated by Gould and co. I must say though that it was pretty damning...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Whovever sent that tape to Nine will be hoping that they are not identified...Bernie and Todd will not be at all happy that that audio was leaked although trey will probably try to convince the paying public that it meant something other than what has been intimated by Gould and co. I must say though that it was pretty damning...
NRL is becoming a joke of a sport I really do hope it fails, sick of our team being robbed by blunt calls every year.
I thought the Black Friday game was bad but the broncos game is on another level.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/8b6rts/are_referees_being_coached_from_the_stands_100/

I'm not sure what the issue is with that audio? The Ref is checking what the penalty count is at then querying what another ref who has an overhead view of the game feels the 10 metre line is being kept.

If the Bunker tells him that the teams are being super slack on making the 10 then the Ref knows that he needs to pay more attention to infringements on it. Same with if they tell him that he's given a lot of penalties for players holding down in the tackle then he knows that it's an area to keep an eye out for.

Some of the comments on this site are interesting. I always thought that the second referee and the two touch judges were on the field to assist the main official in many ways, one of them being keeping a consistent ten. Additionally I also thought that the Bunker can only interject in relation to a foul play situation; they technically can't mention normal run of play incidents otherwise, so how are they permitted to " coach' the onfield guys. Why let the onfield official know the penalty count either, the only thing I can think of is so it can be artificially adjusted to make the overall refereeing seem fair and equitable.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
https://www.reddit.com/r/nrl/comments/8b6rts/are_referees_being_coached_from_the_stands_100/

I'm not sure what the issue is with that audio? The Ref is checking what the penalty count is at then querying what another ref who has an overhead view of the game feels the 10 metre line is being kept.

If the Bunker tells him that the teams are being super slack on making the 10 then the Ref knows that he needs to pay more attention to infringements on it. Same with if they tell him that he's given a lot of penalties for players holding down in the tackle then he knows that it's an area to keep an eye out for.

Some of the comments on this site are interesting. I always thought that the second referee and the two touch judges were on the field to assist the main official in many ways, one of them being keeping a consistent ten. Additionally I also thought that the Bunker can only interject in relation to a foul play situation; they technically can't mention normal run of play incidents otherwise, so how are they permitted to " coach' the onfield guys. Why let the onfield official know the penalty count either, the only thing I can think of is so it can be artificially adjusted to make the overall refereeing seem fair and equitable.
Lol so why does a ref need to know what the penalty count is?
Fucking corruption.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach Dean Pay hit with huge fine for post-match outburst at NRL referees

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The referee audio you won’t believe
The ongoing drama around the referees continues, with audio being released of a referee consulting his peers on increasing penalties on certain plays.

What are your thoughts on Matt Ceechin asking whether he needs to blow more offside penalties?
Check out this link:

https://www.9now.com.au/100-footy/2018/clip-cjfs8gome00550rlpt21p31n9

Brian Donnelly My opinion is since all the betting agencies came along, there has been more controversies involving referees, when it was just pick the score and margins there didn't seem to be this much spotlight put on refs. Where there is serious betting, there is corruption. Might be time to find out where NRL are really getting there money from besides tv and foxtel rights.

Monica Miller I know exactly what I think of it, and I've been saying it for a couple of seasons but have been banned for speaking - what I believe is the truth - players cannot fix matches, and they don't control games - the whistle blowers do and there should have been a more thorough, independent investigation into the refs. My two bobs worth and I stand by what I say.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The referee audio you won’t believe
The ongoing drama around the referees continues, with audio being released of a referee consulting his peers on increasing penalties on certain plays.

What are your thoughts on Matt Ceechin asking whether he needs to blow more offside penalties?
Check out this link:

https://www.9now.com.au/100-footy/2018/clip-cjfs8gome00550rlpt21p31n9

Brian Donnelly My opinion is since all the betting agencies came along, there has been more controversies involving referees, when it was just pick the score and margins there didn't seem to be this much spotlight put on refs. Where there is serious betting, there is corruption. Might be time to find out where NRL are really getting there money from besides tv and foxtel rights.

Monica Miller I know exactly what I think of it, and I've been saying it for a couple of seasons but have been banned for speaking - what I believe is the truth - players cannot fix matches, and they don't control games - the whistle blowers do and there should have been a more thorough, independent investigation into the refs. My two bobs worth and I stand by what I say.

You bet I believe it. They used to ask "How's Trent" & have been busted before:

https://www.smh.com.au/news/league/...argets-referees/2006/06/04/1149359614290.html

Secret code revealed as Bennett targets referees
Glenn Jackson and Steve Jancetic
June 5, 2006
Page 1 of 2 | Single page

IT may not be The Da Vinci Code, but referees and video officials have been using secret words to communicate.

Referees' boss Robert Finch said yesterday officials often use special vocabulary and prompts during matches. But Finch said there was nothing "sinister" about the method of communicating between the on- and off-field officials.

"We have a vocab, as every other football club has," Finch said. "It's not The Da Vinci Code. It's a vocab. There are ways we communicate as a team.

"We also have a prompt sheet which the referee gives the video ref each week. Those are the areas he wants the video referee to prompt him on. The video referees work with different refs each week, so they look at the prompt sheet."

But the fact referees can use the code to ask for penalty counts during games using code - to avoid Sports Ears listeners picking up the question - has opened them up to criticism.

"It's been there since I took over," Finch countered. "It's not secret. I've mentioned this many times before. It's nothing sinister. It's the same as what a club uses. Instead of saying, 'Seven is offside on the right', you just say, 'Seven off'."

One used on a regular basis is "How's Trent going?", which is the referee's way of finding out what the penalty count is.

Meantime, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens and Brisbane counterpart Wayne Bennett, the two most experienced mentors in the NRL with more than 900 games and nine premierships between them, both believe the game is in danger of getting out of control due to referees' desire to let the game flow.

Bennett launched a tirade yesterday after watching Shayne Hayne call only two penalties throughout the entire 80 minutes of his side's 23-18 win over the Warriors.

"Shayne Hayne three weeks ago gave the most penalties of anybody in the game," Bennett said. "It seems to be an unspoken law among the referees [not to give penalties]. I'm not sure what it's being driven by. All I can tell you is that if the refs stop policing, then it'll be absolutely chaotic in a month's time.

"I'd like to know what's going on … there's obviously something happened."

What has happened is a directive from Finch and his assistant Bill Harrigan for referees to be more lenient in the early stages of matches so as to have more consistent rulings throughout games.

Harrigan was famous for his ability to control games with a minimum of penalties, but Sheens says young referees trying to emulate his free-flowing style are being taken for a ride.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
WWE.
And the meatheads in NRL management cant understand why the game is dying.
Peter Beatie cant even distinguish between a Newcastle jersey to a Barcelona jersey.

Anyways, good luck Belgium tonight.....
Unluggy France too good

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You bet I believe it. They used to ask "How's Trent" & have been busted before:

https://www.smh.com.au/news/league/...argets-referees/2006/06/04/1149359614290.html

Secret code revealed as Bennett targets referees
Glenn Jackson and Steve Jancetic
June 5, 2006
Page 1 of 2 | Single page

IT may not be The Da Vinci Code, but referees and video officials have been using secret words to communicate.

Referees' boss Robert Finch said yesterday officials often use special vocabulary and prompts during matches. But Finch said there was nothing "sinister" about the method of communicating between the on- and off-field officials.

"We have a vocab, as every other football club has," Finch said. "It's not The Da Vinci Code. It's a vocab. There are ways we communicate as a team.

"We also have a prompt sheet which the referee gives the video ref each week. Those are the areas he wants the video referee to prompt him on. The video referees work with different refs each week, so they look at the prompt sheet."

But the fact referees can use the code to ask for penalty counts during games using code - to avoid Sports Ears listeners picking up the question - has opened them up to criticism.

"It's been there since I took over," Finch countered. "It's not secret. I've mentioned this many times before. It's nothing sinister. It's the same as what a club uses. Instead of saying, 'Seven is offside on the right', you just say, 'Seven off'."

One used on a regular basis is "How's Trent going?", which is the referee's way of finding out what the penalty count is.

Meantime, Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens and Brisbane counterpart Wayne Bennett, the two most experienced mentors in the NRL with more than 900 games and nine premierships between them, both believe the game is in danger of getting out of control due to referees' desire to let the game flow.

Bennett launched a tirade yesterday after watching Shayne Hayne call only two penalties throughout the entire 80 minutes of his side's 23-18 win over the Warriors.

"Shayne Hayne three weeks ago gave the most penalties of anybody in the game," Bennett said. "It seems to be an unspoken law among the referees [not to give penalties]. I'm not sure what it's being driven by. All I can tell you is that if the refs stop policing, then it'll be absolutely chaotic in a month's time.

"I'd like to know what's going on … there's obviously something happened."

What has happened is a directive from Finch and his assistant Bill Harrigan for referees to be more lenient in the early stages of matches so as to have more consistent rulings throughout games.

Harrigan was famous for his ability to control games with a minimum of penalties, but Sheens says young referees trying to emulate his free-flowing style are being taken for a ride.

Ironic isn't it. Seems to have come full circle. Blight on the game and a perfect example of managing results via a penalty count. How fabulous was it last night to see the penalty count 8-1 to Qld in the first half and one nil NSW in the second???NOT!!! So in the light of that, NSW was absolutely perfect in the second half, diabolical in the first and Qld consistently good in both. Some of the penalties were soft and in particular the one of Sims. Now I am not a fan of his, but to hear Sutton say in relation to the retaliation by Sims after he was tackled it was okay for the Qld player to lay all over him and not let him up being justified as a good strong tackle.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
FROM 2017 NRL Financial Report:
We value the support of leading companies including Telstra, partner of the NRL Telstra Premiership, Finals and Grand Final, in addition to major partners SportsBet, Carlton & United Breweries, Holden and Harvey Norman.

The NRL’s partnership with Australia’s number one online wagering platform, SportsBet, continued to drive interest in the game while leading the way in the promotion of responsible gambling. SportsBet increased its share of the Rugby League market by 5% in 2017.

ON ANOTHER TOPIC... I couldn't get over those lips in the video. Reminded me of Quagmires Dad in Family Guy.

View attachment 6483
Ive often thought WTF is the go with her face. Its like someone plugged a tyre pump in her ear. She has a fabulous face for radio.

Last edited:

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s like if your team is behind in the first half in the penalties 7-1 and trailing by say just 4 points, you’d be very confident of victory because you know the penalty count will be even into the second half.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s like if your team is behind in the first half in the penalties 7-1 and trailing by say just 4 points, you’d be very confident of victory because you know the penalty count will be even into the second half.
Ideally thats how things would work, but not all penalties were created equal. A penalty on the 4th or 5th tackle is far more valuable than a penalty on the 1st tackle.They've also added plenty of subtle ways that they can hand possession to the defending team within the play the ball area. So even leveling up the penalty count doesn't necessarily mean the refs are making the game fair.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL is becoming a joke of a sport I really do .

Becoming nahh has been a joke for a long time.
I couldn't get tix for westcoast a gws game in perth they were selling them $100each and game was near or a sell out of 50k . We cant even pull that in semis most of the time. You cant even argue to afl people why league is better these days

Status
Not open for further replies.