The "R U OK ?" Thread

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry you lost your girl mate. Most of the dogs I've had have made it to geriatric status when quality of life was the last factor in deciding when to let them go. So it'd be tough having to make that call on a young dog.
Thanks Al79, much appreciated bud. Yeah every other dog lived well beyond their years. Our oldest was a Greyhound, lived to 18. Heartbreaking when you lose them so young.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm a bit of a mess right now. The dog was feeling crook this morning so I took him to the vet. They inspected his abdomen and asked to leave him for X-rays at 2. Got a call back at 2.45 to come back down. He's apparently got a massive tumour taking up most of his abdomen. Probably in surgery by now to remove it. They were finding a blood donor while they gave me and my housemate some time with him. So I might've seen him for the last time.

He's a 12yo dog who's never had a serious health issue. I've already had many sad moments thinking about his age. Had many dogs I loved but generally you have a chance to mentally prepare when health issues begin. Just have this dread happening that he'd not coming home.
Tough to deal with mate. My 8yo Staffy had a tumour taken out of her chest last year and she has 2 lumps growing on her back atm that I'm waiting for results on. The hardest part of it is that she's still like a puppy and hasn't slowed down at all. I'm not confident that the results are going to be good, but kind of just a waiting game.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Tough to deal with mate. My 8yo Staffy had a tumour taken out of her chest last year and she has 2 lumps growing on her back atm that I'm waiting for results on. The hardest part of it is that she's still like a puppy and hasn't slowed down at all. I'm not confident that the results are going to be good, but kind of just a waiting game.
I hope everything goes well.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok update.

Been down to visit today. Pooch was awake and perky, but they couldn't get him to eat anything. So I cooked him up a steak with plenty of butter and took it down along with a huge bag of mixed treats for the vets to pass on to the doggo who was his blood donor. Got my little fellow to eat a bit. But he was only wanting to be taken home. But he's doing incredible for a 10kg dog who just had a kg plus tumour removed. Will visit again later. But thought I'd give him a chance to chomp & rest without me.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ok update.

Been down to visit today. Pooch was awake and perky, but they couldn't get him to eat anything. So I cooked him up a steak with plenty of butter and took it down along with a huge bag of mixed treats for the vets to pass on to the doggo who was his blood donor. Got my little fellow to eat a bit. But he was only wanting to be taken home. But he's doing incredible for a 10kg dog who just had a kg plus tumour removed. Will visit again later. But thought I'd give him a chance to chomp & rest without me.
Great news. All sounds very encouraging.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok update.

Good stuff..

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
OK sports fans, I got my PET scan results today. I'm all clear, so the Hodgkin's Lymphoma is still in remission. This is a massive relief.

I still have fluid on the lung, which is now likely a side-effect from the Leukemia medication. So I'm on a reduced dose. If that doesn't work, they may reduce it further or switch me to a different medication.

I have to get a chest X-ray in a couple of months to monitor the lung.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone from the various thoughts, prayers, support, messages and acts of kindness over the last few years. It's always greatly appreciated.

I may yet live long enough to witness a long overdue Premiership, or two...

...if not, my ghost is going to live at Belmore Sports Ground and haunt the #### out the those #####.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
OK sports fans, I got my PET scan results today. I'm all clear, so the Hodgkin's Lymphoma is still in remission. This is a massive relief.

I still have fluid on the lung, which is now likely a side-effect from the Leukemia medication. So I'm on a reduced dose. If that doesn't work, they may reduce it further or switch me to a different medication.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone from the various thoughts, prayers, support, messages and acts of kindness over the last few years. It's always greatly appreciated.

...if not, my ghost is going to live at Belmore Sports Ground and haunt the #### out the those #####.
Great to hear wrestler. I hope you have equally good news on the Leukaemia too.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

This is fkn brilliant BW..fkn brilliant!!!

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Great news mate.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Had another cortisone injection in my shoulder.

Last time it cost after the medicare rebate, over $200.

Found a place at Benowa, that does ultrasounds, cortisone injections & charges the medicare fee. Cost me zip. Medicare fee was $185. Just need a referral. (They accept South Coast Radiology referrals etc) Bulk bills everyone.

For Gold Coast people https://www.paradiseultrasound.com.au/#1597917062582-9aee365a-753a

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im glad your doing well mate and i know how much i'd miss your pics in your thread id better pull my finger out and put some up myself

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Alan79 How is your pooch. Fighting fit I hope.
He's doing incredible Kaz. His scar has almost completely healed and having the space for his stomach to go where it's meant to has freed up his lungs and heart etc to work unhindered. So he's wound back the clock and is a lot more playful again. Since he was a puppy he'd eat 1 big meal about every three days and graze on snacks between. Since the surgery he's eating about 150% of his usual three day diet every day, so basically a dietary increase of about 350%. His eating like a sparrow has always worried me.

Last worrying thing is that his tumour biopsy might indicate he's not out of the woods with potential cancers. But his quality of life looks like it's improved so a very happy pooch and owner. He's got to get dental work done soon too. But that's a bit less worrying.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He's doing incredible Kaz. His scar has almost completely healed and having the space for his stomach to go where it's meant to has freed up his lungs and heart etc to work unhindered. So he's wound back the clock and is a lot more playful again. Since he was a puppy he'd eat 1 big meal about every three days and graze on snacks between. Since the surgery he's eating about 150% of his usual three day diet every day, so basically a dietary increase of about 350%. His eating like a sparrow has always worried me.

Last worrying thing is that his tumour biopsy might indicate he's not out of the woods with potential cancers. But his quality of life looks like it's improved so a very happy pooch and owner. He's got to get dental work done soon too. But that's a bit less worrying.
Good news :grinning:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Wonderful!t