The "R U OK ?" Thread

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just had another chat to DB. Day seventeen in hospital now and probably at least another 7-10 days depending on his response to treatment. Although he is improving and is in good spirits, things are still pretty rough for him. Over the past few weeks it has been really touch and go with a couple of desperate moments but one tough hombre is DB and he is not giving up on anything without a fight.

Is having lots of issues which is expected after the pneumonia, some of which are to do with loss of weight, mostly fluid, ( about 20kg!), meaning loss of muscle mass and strength, and poor blood pressure which leaves him lightheaded . His oxygen levels are up however and he requires oxygen support less and less and is undergoing breathing exercises to help improve lung function. On plenty of medications as you would imagine, but he is sounding better and more with it than previously.

He will have access to a lap top and as he is confined to bed will be up and running online soon and ready to give you all grief!

Lost contact with him as he was on his way to have another scan and the elevator situation meant that he had no signal. Still it was great to talk to him, albeit for just a while, and reassuring that things are getting better, slowly but surely. I let him know we are all thinking of him, something he really appreciates.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi sister, the cold is really hitting my broken rib. I have definitely cracked one and will find out tomorrow if it's more than 1.

I have an extremely high pain threshold and I'm on 10mg of Endone 4 times a day and it's still killing me. Oh well, still isn't stopping me.

Thank you for your well wishes.
Why were you moving things??. I hope you get over this. BTW, I'm back on line:-)

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dogluv
Good afternoon all. Just got off the telephone with the one and only DB!!. I can certainly tell you that it was a real relief to hear from him in person. His voice was very scratchy and at times it was a bit difficult to understand him, but so good at the same time just to know he is on the mend. He is hoping upon hope to be allowed home on Wednesday but we shall see. That is the best case scenario and after two weeks, a good part of it in intensive care, he just cannot wait to get home.

He has had one almighty struggle over the last fortnight in hospital dealing with some very severe complications relating to his last stay. His method of dialysis has had to be changed due to the failure of the CAPD system that he had been using for treatment. He now has to reside in the dreaded chair for several hours as his blood is filtered by machine which takes the place of normal kidney function. From what I understand from his conversation, he has had a catheter inserted into the jugular vein to allow this to happen and suffered a panic attack whilst this was being fitted. ( they had to do this twice as the first one failed.)

He has suffered pneumonia..the worst type, normally confined to post transplant patients; Pneumocystis pneumonia. On oxygen constantly until a day or so ago ,several blood transfusions; he has suffered damage to his body but the Doctors are continually assessing his progress and are pretty confident that it will not be permanent or too severe. Physio to help with his breathing and monitoring of his platelets is ongoing. Tough one our DB and he has assured me that he will get back on the kennel as soon as he can to give you guys some curry.

He remains positive and thanks all of you from the bottom of his heart for your concern and good wishes. He still is keen to meet you all for a Kennel BBQ, something we will certainly need to arrange when everything is much more settled.
Dogluva, thank you so much for passing on my messages and I am humbled by all of your messages of support and prayers. I thought my number was up in ICU last week, I think the driving will to get back to my family was what kept me going that night. I also had this amazing vision in ICU. Iwas trussed up, tubes hanging out of all parts of me when I saw my son David come into view. He has been working in Jakarta, jumped on a plane to Brisbane without saying anything and went straight to the hospital. I think the jolt was what started me back.
On one hand, I'm on the mend. On the other I have weaked so much I can't even sit up. So tomorrow, physio starts in earnest. I have to learn to walk again, it won't be easy, but I won't give up till I'm home. SOH, you have floored me with what you started over on 1EE. I am speechless. Tired, will talk soon

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dogluv

Dogluva, thank you so much for passing on my messages and I am humbled by all of your messages of support and prayers. I thought my number was up in ICU last week, I think the driving will to get back to my family was what kept me going that night. I also had this amazing vision in ICU. Iwas trussed up, tubes hanging out of all parts of me when I saw my son David come into view. He has been working in Jakarta, jumped on a plane to Brisbane without saying anything and went straight to the hospital. I think the jolt was what started me back.
On one hand, I'm on the mend. On the other I have weaked so much I can't even sit up. So tomorrow, physio starts in earnest. I have to learn to walk again, it won't be easy, but I won't give up till I'm home. SOH, you have floored me with what you started over on 1EE. I am speechless. Tired, will talk soon
SOH has been a busy boy I see, consorting with the enemy, lol. No, really so fantastic to see the welcome he got from 1EE and to see the words of support for you. Brothers from another mother unite for one of their own.

Don't push yourself too hard DB, it is early days yet and you will need to save strength for the long road back. Know we are all behind you 100%; you need to get well so we can all meet up. You are not getting out of that arrangement easily.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Got the results back, lower 2 ribs on the left are fractured.

A normal person will recover in 6-8 weeks. They are guessing 12-14 weeks for me.
Ouch!:grimacing: Roughly double recovery time then. I could say that that is what you get for not being normal.......:grinning:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Welcomd back DB.. You and radarara went off the radar at the same time

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bloody welcome back drop im fucking extremely happy you're back .with news you were not doing so well made a fella cry and we cant have that lol.
Get rest and get better your a champion

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcomd back DB.. You and radarara went off the radar at the same time
Thanks Wolfie. The jury is out on Semi. I'll wait for the findings. I've always been a Semi fan, but if it turns out that he has raised his hand to his women, then I am happy for him to fark off to Union. I have no time for wife beaters, the lowest form of coward. How is it so hard to turn away, go for a walk and cool off.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bloody welcome back drop im fucking extremely happy you're back .with news you were not doing so well made a fella cry and we cant have that lol.
Get rest and get better your a champion
SOH, I read your post on 1EE and received it in the heart felt way it was intended. Your words and efforts have left me speechless. I am truly floored by the way many of you have accepted me here. We may be rivals on the field, but that stops the game has ended. They tell me it takes one week to recover from everyday you are bed bound. That means that unless I can find a way to start using my legs again, 18 weeks of rehab starting today. I am determined to get to a Belmore Sausage sizzle, or would it be a kebab fest LOL. Can't wait to meet as many of you who can turn up.

Drop Bear

Much Loved Eels Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because I'm a stubborn **** lol

Awesome that you're back brother!
Ed I saw you have moved upmarket and have an alfesco. As soon as I'm well enough, I'll finish my back deck off. I think I may have told you it has an outdoor kitchen, pizza oven, all the bells and whistles. I can see you me and SOH sitting out there talking shit one day if you can make it up.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
SOH, I read your post on 1EE and received it in the heart felt way it was intended. Your words and efforts have left me speechless. I am truly floored by the way many of you have accepted me here. We may be rivals on the field, but that stops the game has ended. They tell me it takes one week to recover from everyday you are bed bound. That means that unless I can find a way to start using my legs again, 18 weeks of rehab starting today. I am determined to get to a Belmore Sausage sizzle, or would it be a kebab fest LOL. Can't wait to meet as many of you who can turn up.
Allow me to start helping with your rehab this should take about 2 seconds to get something moving and stimulate blood flow
images-54.jpg