The NRL hits Las Vegas, where results on and off the field could be explosive

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My problem with Vegas is the same as with Magic Round (hallelujah, this year it’s an away game for the first time), that’s a home game lost. Plus we take a home game to the regions, this year it’s Bundaberg again. If we ever get to go to Vegas you can bet it will be another home game that we will have to give up. Have our season tickets dropped in price since we have 2 or 3 less home games? That‘s effectively equivalent to a 20%+ price increase, less games with no price reduction. Basically it’s ripping off your season ticket holders, I’m not sure that’s a good idea.

On Vegas specifically, that skinny short field had a huge effect on the game, despite what the junket beneficiary’s keep telling us. For long periods it was boring as bat shit, up the middle, up the middle, time after time. Forwards clogging up the backline, 2nd rowers playing in the middle 3rd, with that skinny field more like a middle half where all the play was, the wear factor was obvious on the playing surface. Chopped up middle because there was no “out wide”, no space for decent blind side plays, the whole field is middle plus a bit.

Why? Just because it’s NRL in Vegas, I’ve been there many times, didn’t need no farkin NRL game, if you want to go to a Vegas just go.

Always a Bulldog
I didn’t really notice the skinnier field. I actually thought it added to the collision, which was good. The big advantage was the closed roof, the game was played in a perfect dry track limiting errors etc, especially for round one clash

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Looks like you and Lenui will need a history lesson or two.
Why would Leniu who’s experienced the same things as Mam need a history lesson? A Samoan being accused of racism against a TSI brother is fkn weird to me

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
40,000 literally a rounding error of a country of 320 million

fucking dud sport
Majority would be expats and people leaving the tv on in the background, like I do with sailing, darts, basketball while doing other chores hobbies. Not sure how anyone marks it as a success outside of the Aussies who went and got pissed.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why would Leniu who’s experienced the same things as Mam need a history lesson? A Samoan being accused of racism against a TSI brother is fkn weird to me
Probably shouldn't be considering Samoans and TSI have different histories.. Samoans never endured ethnic cleansing, displacement and a stolen generation like the Aussie indigenous did.

I get what you mean but there issues are hardly on the same level.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Probably shouldn't be considering Samoans and TSI have different histories.. Samoans never endured ethnic cleansing, displacement and a stolen generation like the Aussie indigenous did.

I get what you mean but there issues are hardly on the same level.
Im not comparing issues but Samoans were used as slaves in the Australian cane fields and experienced similar issues under the rule of the Germans and NZ. But this is about the use of a term used broadly against all coloured people to infer that we are animals. This has never carried the same weight when used amongst ourselves due to our shared history.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So has V’landis managed to get the NRL into the American betting market agencies?
That’s the only reason for this venture, whoever thinks the NRL can crack the US market is kidding themselves. Gridiron is untouchable there.
V’Landys only cares about $$$$$. He is a gambling merchant and nothing more.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn’t really notice the skinnier field. I actually thought it added to the collision, which was good. The big advantage was the closed roof, the game was played in a perfect dry track limiting errors etc, especially for round one clash
A problem with a closed roof is the grass won't grow inside so you have to grow the grass outside and then transport in it. So the space required is actually 2 football fields. Having played on artificial grass that's not an alternative.

Always a Bulldog

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A problem with a closed roof is the grass won't grow inside so you have to grow the grass outside and then transport in it. So the space required is actually 2 football fields. Having played on artificial grass that's not an alternative.

Always a Bulldog
Retractable roof

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So has V’landis managed to get the NRL into the American betting market agencies?
That’s the only reason for this venture, whoever thinks the NRL can crack the US market is kidding themselves. Gridiron is untouchable there.
V’Landys only cares about $$$$$. He is a gambling merchant and nothing more.
What's the NFL got to do with anything? You can watch both.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What's the NFL got to do with anything? You can watch both.
Yes, You can watch both.

Seasons of the two sports overlap a little bit, but essentially the majority of the NRL is played in NFL off season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not comparing issues but Samoans were used as slaves in the Australian cane fields and experienced similar issues under the rule of the Germans and NZ. But this is about the use of a term used broadly against all coloured people to infer that we are animals. This has never carried the same weight when used amongst ourselves due to our shared history.
As I said I get where Ur coming from bro and ur not wrong at all but it still isnt right to say regardless if u carry the same tone or time. Have to consider cut is deeper on one side and certainly hasn't healed yet if at all.

Also cant disregard Samoans have their independence whilst indigenous Australians are still in limbo..

In regards to Spencer, good bet he called Mam a Monkey by the way he looks style wise, not necessarily from a historical perspective or by the colour of his skin.. like seriously there are Arabs Asians and white people that look monekys too. It's also like calling someone a dog or a bird because they genuinely look like one. If anything Spencer should argue he was being discriminate not racist.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As I said I get where Ur coming from bro and ur not wrong at all but it still isnt right to say regardless if u carry the same tone or time. Have to consider cut is deeper on one side and certainly hasn't healed yet if at all.

Also cant disregard Samoans have their independence whilst indigenous Australians are still in limbo..

In regards to Spencer, good bet he called Mam a Monkey by the way he looks style wise, not necessarily from a historical perspective or by the colour of his skin.. like seriously there are Arabs Asians and white people that look monekys too. It's also like calling someone a dog or a bird because they genuinely look like one. If anything Spencer should argue he was being discriminate not racist.
Agree bro. I’ve probably commented too much on this anyway lol I dont get the racial element and i feel sorry for Leniu with all these players coming out with comments on punishment and the media etc. but fck him cause he's a rooster anyway lol Be interesting if its an all white judiciary panel deciding the fate of a Samoan charged with racism

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree bro. I’ve probably commented too much on this anyway lol I dont get the racial element and i feel sorry for Leniu with all these players coming out with comments on punishment and the media etc. but fck him cause he's a rooster anyway lol Be interesting if its an all white judiciary panel deciding the fate of a Samoan charged with racism
Lol ur funny as bro. Wonder if you'd give a shit if he was Tongan :tearsofjoy:

Im defo with you on tha Rooster part, would love to see their season implode considering they're looking the goods.

Also dont like Lenui, bit too much Mulitalo about him on field.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
he really said mam is that your moniker? i will see myself out.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LFMAO, the TV ratings were a dud on Fox 1 in USA

“Let’s be real about it,” Lewis said. “Anything below 100,000 viewers on American television is very low. There’s no question, there’s no sugarcoating it.”

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
By my rough count something like 5 passes sailed over the winger‘s heads, way more than average, muscle memory is hard to overcome. Ilias would never have got to Saab if the field was 4 metres wider.

The 10 metre lines were only 9.45 metres, as a result the 10 metres was reffed inconsistently, particularly noticeable between the 2 games. The loss of 5.55 metres in field length meant run metres looked more than it actually measured. Around 4 times as many play the balls than usual were within 10 metres of the sidelines. Note my comment in the previous post of the lack of blind side space. The Chooks were only team to use the available width, the other 3 teams played very middle concentrated compared to their average.

The kickers pulled their angles of kicks in, almost 20% less than average for those teams. Almost 30% less kicks inside the red zone than average due to the short in goals.

Nothing huge, but very noticeable still.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Retractable roof
The grass still won’t get enough sun shine, particularly in winter, due to grandstand shading. The opening roof tennis courts are almost all synthetic surfaces for a reason and a tennis court is much smaller than a football field. Wimbledon‘s centre court is only used 2 weeks a year, in summer.

Always a Bulldog

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The grass still won’t get enough sun shine, particularly in winter, due to grandstand shading. The opening roof tennis courts are almost all synthetic surfaces for a reason and a tennis court is much smaller than a football field. Wimbledon‘s centre court is only used 2 weeks a year, in summer.

Always a Bulldog
Don’t the afl have one though??

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Don’t the afl have one though??
Yep they do, they have these huge banks of lights on wheels and give the whole field a going over with that to help keep the grass growing.