The Mole's 2024 rookies to explode

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
who is the best 6 at the club if not Burton? No way Ciro moves Burton from 6 in round 1
Burton is about as good at 6 as a front rower. Absolutely useless and will have our backline twiddling their thumbs

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ciraldawg needs to make a big dog call and shifting Burton to the centres is that. Our edges are probably where most of our quality is and we can afford to have him fucking around at 5/8 just spamming kicks and not feeding the edges with quality ball. If he starts at 5/8 then...well, I cbf.
Fox will be standing around at wing again like Wendell Sailor in Union if Burton plays 6

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fox will be standing around at wing again like Wendell Sailor in Union if Burton plays 6
I'm sure Burton will spam kicks in behind for him to keep some fans happy :tearsofjoy:

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is about as good at 6 as a front rower. Absolutely useless and will have our backline twiddling their thumbs
We don’t have front rowers either! Burton was trash most of last year, especially in defence. But who is the better 6 at our club bro? Burton is still young and has lots to work on but imo he is the best half we have

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We don’t have front rowers either! Burton was trash most of last year, especially in defence. But who is the better 6 at our club bro? Burton is still young and has lots to work on but imo he is the best half we have
What concerned me the most wasn't his lack of skills but the attitude last year, he seemingly gave up during the middle to end of the season. He has had everything handed to him on a platter as a half selection wise based on potential and even got a pay rise despite the performances being lackluster. Needs a huge year to justify his position in this team and obviously gets first crack to see how he has progressed over the off season.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
On what basis are they claiming Gus is trying to keep him under the radar? Gus did comms for that NSW game he played in and was raving about him.

Kid is a great prospect, but his defence is not NRL standard yet. Keep developing him.

Also, it's a bit worrying to learn of exploding rookies, what are they being fed?
Wafer thin mints ?

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Oloapu is an interesting one imo, now that he's out for a year it gives Burton a chance to have a breakout year without any pressure of someone nipping at his heels, let's just say for arguments sake Burton does have a breakout year, will that then change the outlook for Oloapu and we transition him into the forwards?
Olaupu will be a backrower pending recovering from the neck issue

ShepardDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man O'neil really does get out-shadowed by some of the other youngsters besides Woods and Joash I see him as our next best junior. From what I saw he seems the most mature for his age but his leadership and work ethic seems high too.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Called this early last year with the rest of us who watch the pups

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not convinced by Marshall just yet Curran/KO before Marshall. Morrin is an outside chance if his defence improves.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he needs to play against men in NSW Cup to keep developing. He will kill it in Flegg no question. He needs to challenge himself.

He should play fullback in Cup with Taaffe at halfback.

A fit Tracey will be in the NRL 17.
so many people underestimate Taffe... he is more than a handy pick up and will surprise alot of people

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno what Ciro chooses but if I was deciding it’s simple, Tracey plays fb. I like him over Taffy because both are good positonally and fairly safe, but Tracey has a bit of mongrel and spark about him. I also choose him over Critta, because he’s been more impressive playing that position from what I’ve seen. And Critta is best centre around, so why move him?

Adding to that, if he earns it in preseason and trials, I hand Xerri the other centre spot and Kiraz, Skelton and Wilson can fight it out for the wing. If Xerri doesn’t do enough we start the year with one flank of Kiraz or Skelton playing centre. I’d like to see the latter actually but iirc he has only played wing so far? If Xerri doesn’t fire, I’d start the season with 1. Tracey 2. JAC, 3. Kiraz 4. Critta 5. Skelton/Wilson. I would prefer Kiraz on the right, but would pick Critta there to help whichever young player gets the wing spot.
would rather Skelton be given a go at centre than Kiraz....

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I suggested this guy was the bolter in the fullback thread. He is at the age where he is ready to fil out, and with a good off season I think he will be in the equation to start the year at fb. He would benefit from further development though, so hopefully some more time in cup will have him primed.
As others have said he needs to bulk up, and his defence is suspect.

All the talk about fullbacks doing sweep plays and playing like a second five eighth is only part of the job. If a fullback is suspect in defence or catching bombs he is of no use to the team because it puts pressure on the whole team in defence.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
would rather Skelton be given a go at centre than Kiraz....
Kiraz is all effort which is what coaches love, but Skelton easily accounts for him in several areas, speed, agility, power and natural skill.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kiraz is all effort which is what coaches love, but Skelton easily accounts for him in several areas, speed, agility, power and natural skill.
Are you saying Skelton is quicker then Kiraz?