The Mole's 2024 rookies to explode

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, if we can hold off poaching, these guys could drive our future success… adding the new players we recruited have more so been brought in for their experience, add depth, set standards and help these youngsters develop into long term NRL players.

CQDog brought up a spine of Papalii, Oluapo, Woods, Marshall, that is both viable and pretty exciting for us.
Oloapu is an interesting one imo, now that he's out for a year it gives Burton a chance to have a breakout year without any pressure of someone nipping at his heels, let's just say for arguments sake Burton does have a breakout year, will that then change the outlook for Oloapu and we transition him into the forwards?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I suggested this guy was the bolter in the fullback thread. He is at the age where he is ready to fil out, and with a good off season I think he will be in the equation to start the year at fb. He would benefit from further development though, so hopefully some more time in cup will have him primed.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Oloapu is an interesting one imo, now that he's out for a year it gives Burton a chance to have a breakout year without any pressure of someone nipping at his heels, let's just say for arguments sake Burton does have a breakout year, will that then change the outlook for Oloapu and we transition him into the forwards?
You want to move Oloapu who is still under the age of 20 & is coming off spinal surgery to the forwards? He's never been a forward & never should be played at forward.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to move Oloapu who is still under the age of 20 & is coming off spinal surgery to the forwards? He's never been a forward & never should be played at forward.
Nah bro, merely asking what would we do with Oloapu if by the time he was first grade ready we already had an established 5/8.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For mine, the only contentious position is fullback, does Ciro avoid placing the worlds best centre at 1 or does he have faith in Tracey or Taaffe?
Burton is not moving from 6 unless he goes missing in the first quarter of the competition.
Dunno what Ciro chooses but if I was deciding it’s simple, Tracey plays fb. I like him over Taffy because both are good positonally and fairly safe, but Tracey has a bit of mongrel and spark about him. I also choose him over Critta, because he’s been more impressive playing that position from what I’ve seen. And Critta is best centre around, so why move him?

Adding to that, if he earns it in preseason and trials, I hand Xerri the other centre spot and Kiraz, Skelton and Wilson can fight it out for the wing. If Xerri doesn’t do enough we start the year with one flank of Kiraz or Skelton playing centre. I’d like to see the latter actually but iirc he has only played wing so far? If Xerri doesn’t fire, I’d start the season with 1. Tracey 2. JAC, 3. Kiraz 4. Critta 5. Skelton/Wilson. I would prefer Kiraz on the right, but would pick Critta there to help whichever young player gets the wing spot.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nah bro, merely asking what would we do with Oloapu if by the time he was first grade ready we already had an established 5/8.
Massive if. I think we shouldn't worry about it now.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
His partially the reason I would keep Critta in the centres and give the helm temporarily to Tracey/Taafe. Eager to see how he progresses this year hope his ready for 25.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where all these new players fit will be very interesting, I currently have Hutchison and O'neill as our cup halves.
Who knows where everyone will land. I believe Taaffe has been bought as a halves prospect. I think barring injuries won’t find a spot in the top 17 this year. He should be bedded into a fixed position in Reggies.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton starts round 1 at 6 then it shows me that Ciraldo isn't cut out to be a NRL coach.
Burton can start at 6 in the trials and make way for Hutch once he shows him how a guy with limited talent can play in that position more effectively.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows where everyone will land. I believe Taaffe has been bought as a halves prospect. I think barring injuries won’t find a spot in the top 17 this year. He should be bedded into a fixed position in Reggies.
Why would he come over from Souths if he wasn't going to be playing first grade?

He played a good 50% of first trade games for Souths last few years didn't get?

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would he come over from Souths if he wasn't going to be playing first grade?

He played a good 50% of first trade games for Souths last few years didn't get?
I think Taaffes outlook within the team might have changed when Tracey was signed, only option I see for him now would be as a bench utility.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dunno what Ciro chooses but if I was deciding it’s simple, Tracey plays fb. I like him over Taffy because both are good positonally and fairly safe, but Tracey has a bit of mongrel and spark about him. I also choose him over Critta, because he’s been more impressive playing that position from what I’ve seen. And Critta is best centre around, so why move him?

Adding to that, if he earns it in preseason and trials, I hand Xerri the other centre spot and Kiraz, Skelton and Wilson can fight it out for the wing. If Xerri doesn’t do enough we start the year with one flank of Kiraz or Skelton playing centre. I’d like to see the latter actually but iirc he has only played wing so far? If Xerri doesn’t fire, I’d start the season with 1. Tracey 2. JAC, 3. Kiraz 4. Critta 5. Skelton/Wilson. I would prefer Kiraz on the right, but would pick Critta there to help whichever young player gets the wing spot.
1 Centre and 1 wing position is going to be hotly contested which will also depend on who plays fullback. Talent wise, Skelton is better than both Kiraz and Wilson, Wilson has more speed than Kiraz, Kiraz has more strength than Wilson, however, Kiraz has mental fortitude and desire on his side which could split those guys but Skelton is organically better than both of them possessing speed, power and a terrific offload/flick pass. If Critta starts at FB, add Tracey to that equation…good headache to have

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joash is genuine spark we need him on the bench from r1

I fear all our utility recruits may prevent this from happening for a while unfortunately

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we are 4 wins and 14 losses you just know the nuffies on here will call for him to be picked