Liverpool are in front on the ladder.

HTH

0-0

Reading

Pfft Man U...

D

D0ggyStylz

Squad numbers

United have announced their squad numbers for the forthcoming 2007/08 Premier League campaign.

Among the Reds' summer signings, Owen Hargreaves will wear the No.4 shirt, with Gabriel Heinze moving to 14. Anderson will wear No.8 and Nani has been given No.17.

It has also been confirmed that Carlos Tevez, who was registered as a United player by the Premier League on Friday afternoon, will wear the No.32.

United squad numbers 2007/08

1 VAN DER SAR (GK)
2 NEVILLE
3 EVRA
4 HARGREAVES
5 FERDINAND
6 BROWN
7 RONALDO
8 ANDERSON
9 SAHA
10 ROONEY
11 GIGGS
12 FOSTER (GK)
13 J.S. PARK
14 HEINZE
15 VIDIC
16 CARRICK
17 NANI
18 SCHOLES
19 PIQUÉ
20 SOLSKJAER
21 DONG
22 O’SHEA
23 J. EVANS
24 FLETCHER
25 SIMPSON
26 BARDSLEY

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Excuses excuses, Eric. :p

D

D0ggyStylz

A quote from the Reading manager....

Reading manager Steve Coppell:
"I want people to think we're more than just a defensive side.

"But your season-long dreams can be shattered very quickly here.
I'd have loved to have gone 4-4-2 and seen what happened but we'd have got hammered."

D

D0ggyStylz

Man Utd boss Ferguson: Rooney out 2 months
tribalfooball.com - August 13, 2007

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Wayne Rooney will be out for two months.
Rooney will miss England's September Euro 2008 qualifiers after suffering a hairline fracture of his left foot on Sunday.

Ferguson believes Rooney will be out until October after the 21-year-old was injured in the Premier League opener with Reading.

"We expect him to be out for two months," said Ferguson.

That rules Rooney out of the key home matches against Israel on 8 September and then Russia four days later.

Ferguson added: "To be on the safe side, we would say it is going to be two months but hopefully he can come back quicker.

"It's a bad blow for England and I'm disappointed for England coach Steve McClaren. I spoke to him last night and I could sense the disappointment. It is a bad blow for him.

"They have options for the games against Israel and Russia in September. They should cope without him. I would expect him to be back for October."

D

D0ggyStylz

Man Utd urge FIFA to rule on third-party player ownership

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has urged Fifa to clarify the rules regarding third-party ownership.

United finally completed the signing of Carlos Tevez on a two-year loan last week, after the deal was ratified by the Premier League.
The transfer of Tevez was complicated by a dispute over his ownership and the complex nature of his contract.
Gill commented: "I wouldn't disagree that the third-party ownership needs clarifying. It needs Fifa to do something.
"As a club, you need to step back, look at it and understand it.
"Ultimately, we want to secure the services of a player, under terms we believe are appropriate and acceptable for a period that we want, and, in the nicest possible sense, we control the player, in the nicest possible sense, during that period."
United have the option to turn Tevez's transfer into a permanent move at any stage over the next two years, and Gill is happy with how the matter was concluded.
"Everything is in place for Carlos and Manchester United to agree a long-term deal and we are very comfortable with the arrangement," said Gill.
"We are looking at it very positively with a view that he will be the player he can be for Manchester United and that it will be an easy decision to exercise our option. "That is our goal. We are not looking at two years, we are looking at a long-term arrangement."

D

D0ggyStylz

Lyon want Man Utd contract rebel Heinze

Manchester United defender Gaby Heinze is being linked with a return to France at champions Olympique Lyon.

The French champions were linked with the former PSG man earlier in the summer, but may mount a bid after Cris suffered a serious knee injury in their Ligue 1 opener against Toulouse on Saturday, according to L'Equipe.

The Brazilian defender was carried off on a stretcher during the surprise 1-0 defeat and is due to undergo a scan to determine the extent of the injury.

But in the meantime Lyon boss Alain Perrin is said to be a big admirer of Heinze, who is desperate to leave Old Trafford and is a target for Liverpool.

With United manager Sir Alex Ferguson having underlined he does not want to let the Argentina international join one their arch rivals, the case will be heard by a Premier League arbitration panel next week.

D

D0ggyStylz

Anderson reveals Ron influence

Anderson has revealed that good friend Cristiano Ronaldo played a big part in his decision to join the Reds.

The 19-year-old Brazilian completed his switch from FC Porto to United last month and was finally unveiled to the world's press on Monday afternoon.

Anderson spoke to Ronaldo before making his move to Manchester and insists it is a "dream come true" to be playing his football at Old Trafford.

"I’m good friends with Cristiano and he told me about the club and what a great place it is," Anderson told ManUtd.com. "Joining United is a dream come true for any footballer in the world. I’m really excited to be here and hope I can do well.

"I heard about it [United's interest] some time ago through my agent but we thought it would be better for me to wait a little bit longer.

"I was doing well at Porto at the time and I knew that joining a club like United - one of the biggest clubs in the world with one of the best followings in the world – would bring its own pressure.

"But when they expressed an interest in me again in the summer I felt it was the right time and I was really excited to have the opportunity to play for such a great club.

"I can’t wait to play my first game at Old Trafford," he added. "It will be amazing, not just for me but for my family as well.

"As a young boy it was always my dream to play for a big European club. I was lucky enough to do it with FC Porto and now I’m at United. I feel proud to be here and I want to do my best."

Anderson's attacking flair and ability has drawn comparisons with international team-mate Ronaldinho. The United midfielder is flattered by the claims but insists he has a long way to go before he can be held in as high regard as Barcelona's buck-toothed wonder.

"I feel very proud by those comparisons but you have to remember that Ronaldinho is an established top class footballer who has been named the best player in the world twice," he exlains.

"He’s a great guy and a good friend of mine, but no two players are the same – Ronaldinho is Ronaldinho and Anderson is Anderson. It’s an honour to play alongside him, it’s something every footballer in the world would like to do. He’s a great player and I hope one day I can reach the level he is at now."

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
13/08/2007 16:09, Report by Ben Hibbs
Tevez feels no pressure

Carlos Tevez is counting on one thing having completed his move to United - enjoying his football at Old Trafford.

At times, it must have seemed like his protracted transfer to Old Trafford may never materialise with so much red tape surrounding the deal.

But, now that the deal has finally been pushed through and a United debut against Portsmouth beckons on Wednesday at Fratton Park, he is determined to make the most of the opportunity.

And, even though Wayne Rooney's injury-enforced absence has placed greater emphasis on his contribution up front, Tevez certainly isn't showing signs of feeling the pressure.

"I have never felt pressure when I play football," he told reporters during his official unveiling at United's Carrington training headquarters. "Whenever I go on to the pitch all I try to do is enjoy myself.

"This is a massive step for me. It hurt me to leave West Ham anyway, but the lure of Manchester United was just too much," he added.

It had been hoped that Tevez would form a formidable partnership with Rooney, but due to the Englishman's metatarsal injury, that link-up has been put on hold until October.

"It is a big blow to lose Wayne," he said. "He is a great player and he will be very difficult to replace. But at a big club like Manchester United you hope to have a number of players who can slot in.

"Now I need to write my own piece of history at the club and do everything I can to help Manchester United be successful."
Source: Manure United.com

Cryptic Ghost

Sharmooderator
Reaction score
Man u choked against reading..! Man, i thought they had it wrapped up in the first half with all that possesion and shot on goal..!

Pfft..!

D

D0ggyStylz

Did you actually see the game BlowMoe? The box was so clustered that it isn't funny. Man United and anyone would have struggled to get a good shot on goal.

D

D0ggyStylz

Nugent Gunning For United

Portsmouth striker David Nugent hopes to use Wednesday night's match against United to fire himself into contention for England's forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers.
The summer signing from Preston makes his home debut against Sir Alex Ferguson's side, and wants to catch the eye of Three Lions boss Steve McClaren.
"I've been in the England squad before and I want to be there again," he is quoted as saying in The Sun. If I can score a few, I'm sure I'll get another chance.

"Manchester United is not a bad game to make your home debut in. If selected, I'm looking forward to testing myself against the best. It will be a great chance to catch the eye."
Meanwhile, team-mate Sol Campbell admits he and his defensive cohorts will have a tough task to keep United debutant Carlos Tevez quiet.
"If I was a manager and could sign any player, it would be Carlos Tevez," said the former Arsenal defender. "He is a fantastic player, so exciting to watch and a real handful."

D

D0ggyStylz

Giggs: We need strong start

Ryan Giggs admits United need to hit winning form sooner rather than later, despite a tough run of early-season fixtures.
Sunday's opening draw against dogged Reading is followed by tricky trips to Portsmouth (Wednesday) and Manchester City (Sunday), but Giggs is aware that the Reds need to lay down their title credentials in the season's early stages.
"It is a tough start, but you’ve got to play them at some stage," the veteran star told ManUtd.com. "Reading had a good season last year and were well-organised, Portsmouth away is always going to be difficult and then anything can happen in a derby.
"So it is a tough start, but history has shown us over the last few years that you need to get off to a good start because it’s hard to catch up if you don't."
Despite Sunday's frustrating opener against the Royals, Giggs is adamant that United are well prepared for the defence of their title.
"We’ve had plenty of games under our belt now," he said. "The Asia Tour isn’t ideal preparation football-wise with the opposition you’re playing and the conditions.
"But then when we got back Inter was a good test and the Community Shield followed by two friendlies after that. We’ve had plenty of games and overall I think the squad’s ready."

D

D0ggyStylz

Tevez champing at the bit

Carlos Tevez is ready to realise his dream of lining up for United in Wednesday evening's trip to face Harry Redknapp's Portsmouth.
The Reds travel to Fratton Park shorn of the injured Wayne Rooney, and certain to start with Tevez as the focal point in attack.
After finally completing his protracted transfer to Old Trafford last week, the Argentine is delighted to be able to concentrate on actually playing football again.
"I feel a wonderful amount of relief now to actually be here at Manchester United," he told MUTV. "I'm now getting myself prepared for the games that are coming up.
"It is a dream to wear the Manchester United shirt and it will also be a dream to win the title which we will all be working for this season."
While South American imports have enjoyed varying degrees of success at Old Trafford, Tevez feels his exploits at West Ham last season will stand him in good stead.
"I feel like I have grown a lot, particularly with a year at West Ham," said the 23-year-old. "I think every different club in football you are with, be it in Italy, Spain or Brazil, you learn different things and you try to take things from each club.
"It is a huge learning curve but I feel I have grown as a player now I'm just getting ready to play for Manchester United.
"It's very important to be happy myself but also to be able to make the people who support Manchester United happy."

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
aparently the nugent guy is good. i played him in fifa 07 and he scored a hattrick lol

hth

D

D0ggyStylz

lol he must be aswesome. He must be stopped. I reckon Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) Should put 6 players on him to man mark him?