Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

D

D0ggyStylz

Manchester United premier 11

Over the last six weeks, more than 100,000 fans took part in polls on ManUtd.com in an effort to name the Reds' best Premier League XI. Supporters were asked to cast their minds back over the previous 14 seasons and vote for their favourite United player in each position... except left midfield, where Ryan Giggs was the only sensible choice.

Our search did throw up a few surprises – there's no room for Ronaldo or van Nistelrooy – but we're sure you'll agree this is a formidable United side.

United Premier XI: Schmeichel; G.Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, Irwin; Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Giggs; Rooney, Cantona

The closest battles occurred in the centre of defence (with Jaap Stam just edging out Nemanja Vidic as Rio's partner), on the right side of midfield (where Cristiano Ronaldo pushed David Beckham right to the hilt) and up front (where Eric Cantona was the popular choice but Ruud van Nistelrooy almost forced his way into the side ahead of Wayne Rooney).

Of course, 11 great players doesn't necessarily equate to a great team. Would Cantona and Rooney really gel alongside each other? Would Ferdinand and Stam prove an effective combination at the heart of the defence? What do you think? Have your say at www.manutd.com/messageboard

We've also designed an exclusive Premier XI wallpaper.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Nope no Man U polos on sale there.. ;)

Can't believe they got held to a 1-1 draw with Pompey... Pompey haven't been that good so far this season, they are not yet set, Nugent hasn't found his place and the others are using him as a crotch... I was expecting Man U to wipe the floor.
lol its only 2nd game in haha, not llike were half way hehe

D

D0ggyStylz

Cristiano 'must ignore bait'

From David Hunt in Portsmouth
August 16, 2007
SIR Alex Ferguson insisted Cristiano Ronaldo must learn not to react to provocation from inferior players, after his senseless dismissal in the champion's 1-1, English Premier League draw with Portsmouth at Fratton Park today (AEST).
Ronaldo was sent-off for aiming a headbutt at Richard Hughes, and faces a three-match ban that will rule him out of United's derby with Manchester City on Sunday, as well as home games with Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland.
The Portugal winger was dismissed in the 85th minute by referee Steve Bennett, following a melee in the Portsmouth penalty area, a minute after Pompey's Sulley Muntari was also red-carded.
United boss Ferguson believes Ronaldo was provoked but claimed he must keep his head rather than trying to headbutt other players.
"He was provoked but you can't raise your arms at another player," said Ferguson.
"He has got to realise he is better than these other players and not to rise to their bait. He has got to rise above it.
"He got no protection from the referee but that is not to excuse his sending-off.
"Steve Bennett has sent him off before, as has the linesman, and we missed a great opportunity for us to win the game."
Ronaldo was last sent off two years ago against local rival City, and will be a massive loss to a United team already without injured England striker Wayne Rooney.
Harry Redknapp claimed not to have seen the incident but felt his team deserved a draw anyway.
Redknapp also reckons his £7 million ($17 milllion) signing Muntari must calm down or he will continue to be sent off.
"Ronaldo is a fantastic player and I'm sure he wouldn't try to deliberately hurt someone.
"He is a good lad and not malicious but I missed the incident because there were so many players involved in it. Muntari just needs to calm down a bit."

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was Ronaldo's headbutt a bad one or just a ref's over reaction? Have not seen a re-play at all. 3 weeks will be a big hit for your title defence when combined with Rooney & 2 X Draws to start the season. I think Tevez will take a month to find his feet @ MU, so i don't see him as the saviour!

D

D0ggyStylz

Was Ronaldo's headbutt a bad one or just a ref's over reaction? Have not seen a re-play at all. 3 weeks will be a big hit for your title defence when combined with Rooney & 2 X Draws to start the season. I think Tevez will take a month to find his feet @ MU, so i don't see him as the saviour!

The head butt didn't look too bad, you can see it here http://video2.foxsports.com.au/video.php along with the rest of the match highlights. It is probably not the best clip to go by...but it looks as though it was one of those harmless head rub head butts. I could be wrong though, as i said, it is not the best clip to go off!

What I would like to see is Chris Eagles and Darren Fletcher being introduced earlier instead of John O'Shea. With the limited clips that I have seen, Carlos looks great. I think the fact that he has had a year in the english game will make it easier for him to adapt to the game.

I miss Guiseppe Rossi already. He is one player who should never have been sold. He is a gun out and out striker and he is going to do very well at valencia?? i think.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't defend Ronaldo, Eric. He's a dirty cnut. Always has been, always will be.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ronado is an idiot. I mean who starts a Confrontation in front of the Referee. If I was him I'd just wait until the Opposing Player pushes me then I retaliate. I might end up with a Yellow while the Opposing player would get a Straight Red.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are all definately expect a Maure United Wiin the Manure Derby.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
PRESSURE ON UNITED - JOHNSON
By Simon Stone, PA Sport Chief Football Writer

Rising star Michael Johnson has insisted the pressure is all on Manchester United for Sunday's Eastlands derby.

Not only do City head into this weekend's Barclays Premier League showdown ahead of their local rivals in the table; they are also aware even victory for Sir Alex Ferguson's men will not be enough for the Red Devils to climb above the Blues.

In contrast to City's flying start under Sven-Goran Eriksson, United have stumbled out of the blocks - drawing both games so far to fall four points adrift of Everton, City and Chelsea.

Johnson knows United cannot afford to slip up again, which is why the 19-year-old believes City can approach the contest in relaxed mood.

"United have drawn two now - so the pressure is all on them, not us, to come here and beat us," said the Urmston-born midfielder.

"We are on a roll and we have got a lot of momentum behind us, so I think it will be a good game."

Despite bringing in eight new faces since succeeding Stuart Pearce as manager, Eriksson has stuck with Johnson.

The England Under-21s midfielder was one of four academy graduates in the starting line-up against Derby on Wednesday - and Johnson repaid the faith of his manager by crashing home the first-half winner, his first goal at senior level in only his 11th game.

Given the growing optimism among City fans, it would not be a surprise if the players were reassessing their pre-season targets.

But Johnson insists no one is getting too worked-up about the Blues' best start to a Premier League season.

"I am proud to score," he said.

"City is a great club, and we want to do our best.

"But we are not getting carried away at all. Our feet are firmly on the ground."

Eriksson is still believed to be in the hunt for a new goalkeeper, but a bid to land current Italy number two Marco Amelia from Livorno has so far proved painfully slow.

The Swede can at least content himself with the knowledge Kasper Schmeichel, son of Denmark and Manchester United great Peter, has acquitted himself well so far.

If required, Eriksson would have no problem sticking by the 20-year-old against United.

"If Kasper goes on like this soon we will not be spending any more time talking about getting another goalkeeper," smiled Eriksson.

"I have only known Kasper for one month but I can already tell he is an extremely confident boy.

"He is not the tallest of goalkeepers but he is fantastic on the line. He has quick feet and takes everything there."
Source: Sporting Life

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fergie Escapes FA Action

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson looks likely to escape disciplinary action for his comments following Cristiano Ronaldo’s sending off against Portsmouth on Wednesday.

Ferguson launched a thinly veiled attack on referee Steve Bennett in the immediate aftermath of the game.

The manager clearly felt that the sending off wasn’t justified and believes that Bennett would have enjoyed giving the flambouyant Portuguese midfielder his marching orders.

"Steve Bennett sent him off at City (in January 2006) and will have loved the opportunity to send him off again,” he told MUTV.

He added: "I've looked at the replay a few times now and there's nothing conclusive - you can't really see anything, but I believe he was provoked and he fell for it.

"He was surprised about the decision but really he's only himself to blame and now we're going to miss him for three games. It's a big blow."

Ronaldo was sent off for allegedly head-butting Portsmouth’s Richard Hughes as a tussle broke out in the lead up to a corner.
The Pompey man has said that the incident was not out of the ordinary, however the referee felt it necessary to issue the red card.

It’s rumoured that FA officials have already studied the comments and are ‘unlikely’ to take any further action, but may send the manager a letter asking him to explain his opinions.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
United fine Ronaldo

Staff
Friday August 17, 2007
The Guardian

Sir Alex Ferguson has taken disciplinary action against Cristiano Ronaldo after the headbutt offence that prompted the second red card of the Portugal winger's career in Manchester United's 1-1 draw with Portsmouth on Wednesday.
Ronaldo is to miss United's next three matches, starting with Sunday's derby at Manchester City, and Ferguson intends to impose a mandatory club fine. Under PFA guidelines, the maximum is two weeks' wages, which means Ronaldo could be docked around £230,000. Ferguson believes Ronaldo was "provoked" but was incensed by the player's rash response.
Source: The Guardian

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Keane-O Vs. WAGS
August 15, 2007, 4:51 pm

What makes Roy Keane tick?

The fiery Irishman was an aggressive player, a commanding on-field leader and a controversial, often argumentative teammate. Now, as manager of newly promoted Sunderland, the outspoken gaffer has set his sights not on his fellow footballers, but on the women who love them.

Roy Keane, who became manager of Sunderland in August 2006, won his first match as a Premiership manager when the Black Cats defeated Tottenham 1-0 last weekend. (Stephen Pond/European Pressphoto Agency) Keane called today’s players “soft” and “weak” because they let their wives and girlfriends control their lives. He said players will only play for clubs in cities like London where there are posh stores because, “with women running the show,” a player is not focused on soocer.

“What is your priority?
Your wife and her shopping, money or your football?” Keane said in comments splashed across Britain’s tabloids.
Such public tongue lashings are not new for Keane. As the Manchester United skipper, he lashed out at the well-heeled fans at Old Trafford, referring to them as the “prawn sandwich brigade,” interested more in corporate hospitality suites and social scene-setting than soccer. Before the 2002 World Cup, Keane lambasted his coach, Mick McCarthy, and his Ireland teammates for not being as intense in training as he thought they should be. After an intense back-and-forth, blow-by-blow, Keane left the team in Japan and flew home before the tournament.

Keane’s vociferousness eventually led to strained relations with his manager and mentor, Sir Alex Ferguson, and his departure from Manchester United after 12 years.

Keane gave an interview to the team’s television station taking teammates to task for their performances. The interview, which did not air, singled out some of United’s younger players that fell short, in Keane’s estimation, of what a Manchester United player should be. Soon after, Keane was let go and finished out his playing career at Celtic, in Glasgow, the team he supported as a youngster.

Whatever it is that burns in Keane-O’s belly that made him such a fierce competitor on the field can be infectious. He was Ferguson’s voice on the field and was able to put the team on his shoulders from his position in central midfield and seemingly will the Red Devils to victory. As a manager, he led the Black Cats out of the Championship and into the Premier League after his first season in charge. Over the summer he spent almost $40 million to improve his squad. But some players Keane fancied didn’t seem to be willing to move to the northeast of England, wanting instead to go to the big cities, prompting Kean’s latest tirade.

“If a player doesn’t want to come to Sunderland then all well and good,” The Guardian quoted Keane. “But if he decides he doesn’t want to come because his wife wants to go shopping in London, then it’s a sad state of affairs. It’s not a football move, it’s a lifestyle move. It tells me the player is weak and his wife runs his life.”

The Telegraph reported, “Keane’s recruitment campaign has been hit by a series of snubs and the former Manchester United midfield hard man last night vented his spleen.”

Keane said: “If there is nothing to do [in the northeast of England] then find something, because people who are bored are boring. Someone once told me that. People who get bored coming up to the North-east, they are bored because they are boring. It is nothing to do with the shops. Football has got to be the priority.”

No one questions that football is Keane’s priority. But one has to wonder if his strident views won’t give players another reason to balk at a move to Sunderland.
Source: New York Times

D

D0ggyStylz

Boss: Don't Panic

United may have drawn the first two league games of the season but Sir Alex insists it's no cause for alarm.

"I’m looking at the performances of the team in the first two games and saying to my players, ‘Well done’," the boss said at Friday's press conference.
"We’re dropping points and that’s disappointing and frustrating because the performance levels have been very good. The important thing is to be patient now. The situation is recoverable, of course."

United go into Sunday's Manchester derby without Cristiano Ronaldo, who was sent off at Fratton Park, but Sir Alex was pleased the Reds left Portsmouth with a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, however, none of the long-term injured players have recovered sufficiently to resume match play.

Louis Saha has been training with the first-team squad but is unlikely to take part on Sunday, while new signing Anderson is struggling with a hamstring strain. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's knee is still troubling the Norwegian and Wayne Rooney could be out for two months after breaking a bone in his foot last weekend. That said, not all the news is bad.

"Owen Hargreaves is still feeling the problem of tendonitis in his knee but he is doing some bits of training, which is encouraging," the boss added. "Gary Neville has also been doing bits of training but he's not really near [to playing on Sunday]."

D

D0ggyStylz

Man Utd's Ronaldo: I didn't deserve red
tribalfooball.com - August 17, 2007

Manchester United wing ace Cristiano Ronaldo insists he didn't deserve the red card he copped at Portsmouth this week.
He fumed to The Sun: "The replays show there was nothing.

"But I don't need to look at the pictures, because I know exactly what I did - and that's nothing to justify a red card."

Ron went for butting Pompey's Richard Hughes.

But the Portugal star said: "I was pushed in the area.

"He came straight to me, put his hand on my neck and I opened my arms in a 'that's enough' way. We pushed each other but nothing serious.

"We leaned heads against each other but that was all. Absolutely nothing else happened.

"I don't know what the ref could have seen to send me off, as you can't even call it aggression.

"When I saw the red card, I couldn't believe it, the situation was so surreal.

"And it's absurd because I'm aware that now I'll sit out a ban for something I didn't do. I feel dejected and very sad."

D

D0ggyStylz

Same old bloody story from Man United at the moment.

United have totally dominated posession, they have had the better chances. Yet we are down 1 nil against Man City. A deflected shot too, poor defending by VIDIC.

TBH I saw this coming. We need a striker FFS.

NANI needs to take his chances. We should have been 1 nil up within the opening 5 minutes.

i don't think we will win. We will snatch a draw if we are lucky.
PS. Man City's CB's are playing very well.

SMD

D

D0ggyStylz

NANI should have scored. Tevez should have scored FFS.

We are in desperate need of a striker. Why the hell did SAF sell Rossi???