Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? In its entirety?

Come on mate. Clearly you didn't. United had chances towards the end to level it or even go ahead, but by that point the Hammers should've been 2-3 up on you.

Big chances created is the key to that mate. You're smart enough to know that. You weren't good. Just don't know why you don't admit that?
It is the reserves!!!!!!!

The one major difference would have been having a striker other than martial that would've changed the nature of the game and the type of chances created

There's a reason martial has dropped so far down the pecking order

And again IT'S THE FUCKING RESERVES, THERE'S A REASON AS TO WHY THEY ARE RESERVES.

Outside of Sancho, every single other starting player is a squad player. End of.

And you're blowing your load of United not being good enough for the title based on the reserves losing a carabao cup game ffs

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is the reserves!!!!!!!

The one major difference would have been having a striker other than martial that would've changed the nature of the game and the type of chances created

There's a reason martial has dropped so far down the pecking order

And again IT'S THE FUCKING RESERVES, THERE'S A REASON AS TO WHY THEY ARE RESERVES.

Outside of Sancho, every single other starting player is a squad player. End of.

And you're blowing your load of United not being good enough for the title based on the reserves losing a carabao cup game ffs
Wait. So you were claiming United we're dominant now you're saying it's just the reserves so what do I expect?

I'm confused now.

Either way, you seem happy with the result so credit to you. Personally think Ole needs to be gunning for every trophy he can lay his hands on, and not sure where else he's going to look?

But, you seem to be happy with the Hammers hammering you at Old Trafford in front of your fans, then ok.

Fair play. I personally would've expected more.

Fergie put reserves out all the time and would get results. With these reserves he would've got a result. Think that's the point for me.

Your team was more than good enough to win that game ... Blaming the lost of them being reserves is a pity imo.

Have you forgot what it means to be Manchester United FFS?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah mate. I'm relaxed.

It's always been created as some Liverpool vs United battle. For me it isn't. Just commenting on what I see. I get things wrong, as many on here do, but I just call it how I see it. Not sure why there needs to be this whole rival clubs thing because we can just all footy without that, can't we?
because football, more than any other sport, is tribal... it is almost impossible to rid yourself of your biases when discussing your team or player or rival

and my point was also that you cannot judge a team's current status by an early round in the Carabao Cup... it's the big clashes in the EPL and UCL that teams like Man U, LFC, Chelsea, and City are judged on --> eg. a big 10 day period coming up for City who play Chelsea tonight, PSG mid week next week and Liverpool next weekend (all away I think)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
because football, more than any other sport, is tribal... it is almost impossible to rid yourself of your biases when discussing your team or player or rival

and my point was also that you cannot judge a team's current status by an early round in the Carabao Cup... it's the big clashes in the EPL and UCL that teams like Man U, LFC, Chelsea, and City are judged on --> eg. a big 10 day period coming up for City who play Chelsea tonight, PSG mid week next week and Liverpool next weekend (all away I think)
Fair point mate and get what you're saying.

Have never said it's the end of the world for United because it really is only a shitty cup competition. Meaningless in all reality.

But, I'd still be pissed to be knocked out especially under those circumstances. At home. In front of a packs house. With a good team on the park.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair point mate and get what you're saying.

Have never said it's the end of the world for United because it really is only a shitty cup competition. Meaningless in all reality.

But, I'd still be pissed to be knocked out especially under those circumstances. At home. In front of a packs house. With a good team on the park.
it is a missed opportunity for United because they need to win a trophy (any trophy at this stage)... not a crisis by any means but you just want to get that monkey off your back --> eg. think about the weight of the 30 year title drought had on LFC, the players, the coaches etc.

it would also be a little worrying that the United reserves were incapable of getting the job done at home against a weakened West Ham... are they underdone (eg. Van der Berk) and need more play time in the first team? are they good performers past their primes and should not be relied on any further (eg. Matic, Mata)? the coaching not good enough? the League Cup is just not a priority? probably a mix of all of the above

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
it is a missed opportunity for United because they need to win a trophy (any trophy at this stage)... not a crisis by any means but you just want to get that monkey off your back --> eg. think about the weight of the 30 year title drought had on LFC, the players, the coaches etc.

it would also be a little worrying that the United reserves were incapable of getting the job done at home against a weakened West Ham... are they underdone (eg. Van der Berk) and need more play time in the first team? are they good performers past their primes and should not be relied on any further (eg. Matic, Mata)? the coaching not good enough? the League Cup is just not a priority? probably a mix of all of the above
Agree. Any trophy would be enough, so it was a missed opportunity as you say. But also agree it's not the end of the world. These cups are really meaningless in all reality, but serve as more of a training game for those not regularly playing.

However, you rightly point out that this was still a worrying result. It wasn't a youth team that many put out, but players who should be challenging for the first team. Not one of them did anything near enough to show they can be pushing for a 1st team spot, which is a concern.

Why were they this bad? As you say, could be a mixture of things .

This game will be forgotten soon enough if they continue to win in the EPL and turn around their CL form. If they don't, people will come back to this game as a turning point.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt call him United quality yet until he wins a major trophy.

The club suffered so much under Moyes, LVG and Mourinho that apart of the affection to Ole is that we are playing good football and look more competitive these days.

I agree regarding his expectations, whilst I think his expectations last season were only to finish in the top 4 and go deep in the cups, this season it needs to be at least competing for the league as well as a champions league semi. Whilst that still isn’t “enough”, it would continue to show progress. Anything short of that should spell the end for him.

From the clubs point of view though, for Ole to be replaced, hed need to be knocked out in the group stages of the UCL this season, or finish outside the top 4, otherwise the board won’t make a change because they still get their money.
" Part of the affection to Ole is that we are playing good football "

Have you heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
" Part of the affection to Ole is that we are playing good football "

Have you heard of Stockholm Syndrome?
Think he's got a fair point tho. United were dreadfully boring under Mourinho, Moyes and LVG so anything is 'good football' compared to the rubbish dished out then

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe. I just prefer my football a little more organized compared to the freestyle stuff we currently serve up.

Comment was made tongue in cheek. I respect @ Bulldog- 4 -Life opinions.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ole has gone with the tried and tested. Again.

Why not I guess? Winning plenty of games.

I predict a 3-2 win

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
3 wasted chances to Villa. You guys are lucky they're shit but the result is all that matters.

You'll destroy them second half

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fred and Mctominay are bog average. Fred’s United’s Adam Elliot u don’t know if his gonna play a shit pass, loss the ball or cost you the game. We need a Kante, Fabinho, Jorginho.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see us play pogba in a more central role he isn’t a winger.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Perfect example of having more shots in a game means jack. United had 13 odd shots, but Villa has easily had the better chances. Easily. And looked the better too.

Gotta turn it around this second half

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stone wall penalty. Fucking Ole's bullshit penalty talk before the game has sweetened the ref. Should be Villa 1-0