The Jamal to Newcastle Knights Speccy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldawg

bulldog
Reaction score
Confident Dogs expect Idris to put club before money

THE BULLDOGS expect the media circus surrounding Jamal Idris's contract negotiations to pack up and move on inside a fortnight, with the club to table its offer to the young star next week.

The hottest property coming off contract this season returned to training yesterday, having completed a two-day tour of the Gold Coast Titans' facilities.

The Titans were the second NRL club to wine and dine the NSW Origin representative following his meeting with Newcastle officials last week, with both clubs believed to be dangling carrots worth $400,000 a year. Now it is the turn of the Bulldogs to join the bidding, although chief executive Todd Greenberg was adamant his club would not be entering an auction.

''The decision for him needs to be more than simply commercial terms - I've always said that anyone who makes a decision in business or in life based purely on money will make a wrong decision,'' Greenberg said. ''He's made it really clear to me that he wants to stay at the Bulldogs, we've said to him that we see him as a long-term part of the club - as potentially a one-club player.

''The challenge for us now is to make sure we come up with a strong offer to make sure he stays.''

That offer will be put to Idris and manager Sam Ayoub by the end of next week. While loath to put a deadline on a decision, Greenberg didn't expect the process to drag on.

''I think we can wrap it up in the next couple of weeks,'' he said. ''We encouraged him to have his meeting with both the Knights and the Titans … we said it was important for him to do that … it effectively comes down to making sure we put an offer to him that's strong and bulletproof enough to make sure he stays.''

A week after embarking on a three-hour tour of Newcastle's Ausgrid Stadium headquarters alongside Knights coach Rick Stone, Idris reportedly dined with Titans chief executive Michael Searle and coach John Cartwright.

Idris's teammates claim they have no problem with the 20-year-old centre hawking himself around to NRL rivals - as long as it doesn't affect his on-field performances.

''It was his day off, and he can do what he likes on his day off,'' skipper Andrew Ryan said. ''If he's still producing on the field and on the training paddock and he's in the right head space, that's all we can ask.''

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
no new info there... how many articles can possibly be written on this in next week or so!?!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sick of the overhyping of this kid and every other player that gets overhyped every year. Great talent, playing well, I hope we re-sign him. But the frenzy everywhere for someone still so young, with so much to prove and achieve and who hasn't really accomplished much..... Well, it just sickens me. And it's 2 weeks into the f**king season! The media, people running the game and continual wankfests are ruining this sport more and more by the day.

jammo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I saw Jamal in Parramatta last night with his girlfriend and i noticed something that is going to dissappoint a lot of us... He was wearing a Celtics Jersey... It really broke my heart to see that... I wanted to say some thing, but they walked off before i had a chance.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sick of the overhyping of this kid and every other player that gets overhyped every year. Great talent, playing well, I hope we re-sign him. But the frenzy everywhere for someone still so young, with so much to prove and achieve and who hasn't really accomplished much..... Well, it just sickens me. And it's 2 weeks into the f**king season! The media, people running the game and continual wankfests are ruining this sport more and more by the day.
The fact the season has just started is the part that sh#*s me most.

They have had a 6 month off season to sort this out ffs!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The fact the season has just started is the part that sh#*s me most.

They have had a 6 month off season to sort this out ffs!
No, you're getting it all wrong. The media need 2 games to see someone play well to drive their price up 100k. In 2 games! How else would the world work? :grinning:

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In light of Jamal Idris' contract negotiations, Ryan Tandy has requested his agent to secure him a new contract.
Tandy's agent is confident that he can secure Tandy $300 worth of calls and Unlimited texts for $29 a month.

lukesdogs

Armchair Coach
Reaction score
is he still contracted to us till the end of 2012 or end of 2011??

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In light of Jamal Idris' contract negotiations, Ryan Tandy has requested his agent to secure him a new contract.
Tandy's agent is confident that he can secure Tandy $300 worth of calls and Unlimited texts for $29 a month.
Will the new contract allow him to be able to get onto the tab online......
Would save him and his friends needing to change clothes and wear disguises
everytime they have a bet =P

Scooby doooo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Overhyping.... I don't think so... He is already showing that he's a great player one of the BIGGEST talents in football atm and playing like someone way beyond his years... Like myself people are dissapointed that he's considering a move and the fact he's going to take a large chunk of our cap... But facts are facts and although people on this site think he's overrated the fact is that the clubs and people trying to recruit him know alot MORE than myself and anyone else on this site. They're not offering huge deals for a "overhyped player" they're offering money to one of the hottest talents in the game now. He deserves all of this attention, this guy has obviously worked his arse off to become the player he is and i really do hope we can retain him... I would prefer him playing for us than against us...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Will the new contract allow him to be able to get onto the tab online......
Would save him and his friends needing to change clothes and wear disguises
everytime they have a bet =P
I think you're allowed to bet on NRL games when you're playing park footy. Or jailyard footy depending what happens.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Pay Jamal whatever he wants!

He's on f*cking fire!

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
are we offering him something this week? anyone know when?

Maza

Reaction score
They said in some article that the offer would be put down by the end of this week.

jkuzman

Jimbulldog
Reaction score
I have heard that if Wayne Bennett goes to Newcastle, Jamal Idris will sign with Newcastle.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure the club will make a competitive offer that is good enough to keep him. Sure it may be significantly less than what Newcastle, Sharks and the Titans can offer, but we have something that no other club has: marketability, stability & longevity. A strong leagues club means that we're guaranteed to be around in Sydney, without the need to merge, relocate, or restructure. The three clubs that have offered Jamal deals aren't exactly the most stable and strongest financially. The Titans, if you believe Simcorp (the builder that claims he got ripped off), are struggling to pay their bills. The Sharks is self explanatory, and every 5 or so years Newcastle seems to always have financial troubles requiring a bailout. We're also club that's loyal and has a stable administration and coaching staff, so you won't see a high player turnover, so your position as a starting player is pretty much guaranteed if you're in form.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The longer this goes on the more I think he will go to Newcastle/Gold Coast

Last night's takeover wouldn't have helped our cause either........

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we only put an offer to him a couple of days ago apparently. give it a couple of weeks. if we're lucky, maybe a week, but a couple/few more weeks at least, now he has all offers on the table

Status
Not open for further replies.