Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't seen any of Inter's friendlies but apparently Alvarez has scored 3 in 2 games and had a handful of assists. Looks like another 'one that got away' and apparently only over 1-2 mil...

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
omg y couldnt wenger just offer that extra 2 mil its not much at all the stingy idiot
After watching his highlights of one of the friendlies i dont think he will be that much of a loss. Very weak on the ball, albeit he has some good control, and very one footed when dribbling (left). Has an amazing shot on him though. If he was 18-19 then i'd say he'd be a gem of a signing but at 23 i think he's just not quite premier league standard tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
After watching his highlights of one of the friendlies i dont think he will be that much of a loss. Very weak on the ball, albeit he has some good control, and very one footed when dribbling (left). Has an amazing shot on him though. If he was 18-19 then i'd say he'd be a gem of a signing but at 23 i think he's just not quite premier league standard tbh.
Yeah, I have to admit, I noticed that in one of the highlight videos I saw of Alvarez while playing in the Argentinian Primera but despite that, he's got bags of talent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to admit, I noticed that in one of the highlight videos I saw of Alvarez while playing in the Argentinian Primera but despite that, he's got bags of talent.
I totally agree but he's still a rough product. At the age of 23-24 he should be on the verge of hitting his peak, but it seems he still has a fair bit of development ahead of him. Like I said earlier, if he was 18-19 then he would be a great signing but I feel he might not develop into as good a player as everyone thinks.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree but he's still a rough product. At the age of 23-24 he should be on the verge of hitting his peak, but it seems he still has a fair bit of development ahead of him. Like I said earlier, if he was 18-19 then he would be a great signing but I feel he might not develop into as good a player as everyone thinks.
Its hard to say... players differ here and there. We'll see how he goes in Inter. That's if he can get an consistent appearances that this. If so, he can definitely try and prove his worth. For Arsenal, bdarjani, they'll have to and no doubt keep scouting away...

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its hard to say... players differ here and there. We'll see how he goes in Inter. That's if he can get an consistent appearances that this. If so, he can definitely try and prove his worth. For Arsenal, bdarjani, they'll have to and no doubt keep scouting away...
Just on that note, he has made 42 appearances in his last 4 seasons due to injury. At first I thought we had missed out on a star signing, but now I think we may be better off.

100% agree about scouting. Scouting has kept us within reach of trophies the last few seasons, but unfortunately we haven't bought and held onto developed players enough to grab them.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Peak age is more around 27-28 to early 30s, defenders and keepers often a bit later.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peak age is more around 27-28 to early 30s, defenders and keepers often a bit later.
I don't necessarily agree. Players are being exposed to the big stages alot earlier in their careers and they tend to develop alot sooner then they used to. Keepers and defenders seem to hit their peak at the ages you mentioned but I think with Strikers and Midfielders they may hit their peak a few years earlier.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
strikers peak around 27 midfielders about the same imo, not everyone is fabregas.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
10mil bid for Jagielka rejected. Everton want around 18-20mil for him. I thought 10mil was pushing it...

Good to see were actually going after CBs. Let's hope we bid for Cahill next.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
10mil bid for Jagielka rejected. Everton want around 18-20mil for him. I thought 10mil was pushing it...

Good to see were actually going after CBs. Let's hope we bid for Cahill next.
I'm behind that move. Djourou is okay and Koscielny can obviously do real damage when he's on top in form but an influx in quality defenders would always be welcome. How much do you think Bolton would expect for Cahill???

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm behind that move. Djourou is okay and Koscielny can obviously do real damage when he's on top in form but an influx in quality defenders would always be welcome. How much do you think Bolton would expect for Cahill???
He apparently has a buy-out clause of 17mil, but according to reports Wenger is hoping to get him for 15mil.

I'd happily pay 17mil for him if it means my heart continually beats when we concede a free kick near our box...

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He apparently has a buy-out clause of 17mil, but according to reports Wenger is hoping to get him for 15mil.

I'd happily pay 17mil for him if it means my heart continually beats when we concede a free kick near our box...
I'm not sure Wenger wants to do the same though but I agree, the more quality defenders, they better the depth and overall performance of the team. Plus, we may finally get a clean season whereby 1 season-long injury doesn't necessarily ruins a notable part of the campaign. It happened in 2007-08 with Eduardo (poor Eduardo...:( ) and last season with Vermaelen, Almunia and Djorou.