The Gerard Sutton Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggedforlife

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
and that's the bloody truth .... ive been saying this for weeks ... the refs are blowing the pea out of the whistle \

you only have to watch super league and free flowing the game is

Sutton especially is on a power trip .... and if that f...cking idiot gould had any brains he would have noted on sunday
that instead of calling the game boring as bat shit .... he would have noted the ref is killing this game

Malla

Reaction score
What makes is even worse is that the NRL has put Sutton on a pedestal which is the complete wrong thing to do.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He gave the bullshit penalty for the legal hit on Holmes.
He refused to call no try when Holmes never touched the ball.
for a legal hit on holmes...

Adding insult to injury for Reynolds, he was charged yesterday with dangerous contact to the head or neck over his hit on Cronulla fullback Valentine Holmes in the dying minutes of Sunday afternoon’s game at Belmore Sports Ground.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Been keeping a close eye on Gerrard Sutton since he last refereed us at Belmore. On a regular basis his penalty counts for a match are up around 20, while most of the other referees tend to keep them around 10-12. Bottom line is if a team wants a fast free flowing game he is NOT the ref you want. Thought Klien was OK last night and we have only lost one game under him this year. Of all the options he would be my choice this week. Second choice would be Cummins. I do however make it plain that no referee stands out to me as being significantly better than any other.

THOUGHTS.

Malla

Reaction score
Been keeping a close eye on Gerrard Sutton since he last refereed us at Belmore. On a regular basis his penalty counts for a match are up around 20, while most of the other referees tend to keep them around 10-12. Bottom line is if a team wants a fast free flowing game he is NOT the ref you want. Thought Klien was OK last night and we have only lost one game under him this year. Of all the options he would be my choice this week. Second choice would be Cummins. I do however make it plain that no referee stands out to me as being significantly better than any other.

THOUGHTS.
Mate I agree with this 2000%. I had been keeping track side the Souths game actually. He was the ref for origin 3 and his whistle was the key behind QLD absolutely dominating as he basically kept NSW out of the game with his whistle.
You are also spot on with the amount of penalties he gives.. The thing that irks me is he blows most of his penalties for things in the ruck that go without penalty 99% of the time.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His a spotlight seeking dog, they say he's the best ref ppfftt how can the best ref in our game blow an average of 18-20 penalties in a game. I hope he has a training mishap and is out for the year!!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

THOUGHTS.

good observation.

one more thing about last night game was warriors made only one error in second half where you look at them in the previous half or previous games it was a super doper improvement.

I dont think warriors were that clean in the second half.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here's a bit of trivia .. 2014 SOO results

Game 1....12-8 NSW....
Refs : Shayne Hayne, Ben Cummins

Game 2 .....6-4 NSW ....
Refs: Shayne Hayne, Ben Cummins

Mal Meninga has a dummy spit about the refereeing

Game 3 ....32-8 QLD
Refs: Gerard Sutton, Ben Cummins

Can anyone spot the difference?

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate I agree with this 2000%. I had been keeping track side the Souths game actually. He was the ref for origin 3 and his whistle was the key behind QLD absolutely dominating as he basically kept NSW out of the game with his whistle.
You are also spot on with the amount of penalties he gives.. The thing that irks me is he blows most of his penalties for things in the ruck that go without penalty 99% of the time.
Some things never change do they?

What makes is even worse is that the NRL has put Sutton on a pedestal which is the complete wrong thing to do.

You have heard of making a rod for your own back- another way of saying that you may have shown bad judgement. Well the NRL has created a problem that will never get any better because that is exactly what they did.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You have heard of making a rod for your own back- another way of saying that you may have shown bad judgement. Well the NRL has created a problem that will never get any better because that is exactly what they did.
Good luck to Mr 'Gerard Sutton can do no wrong 'Greenburg with selling the remaining 40k seats..
All we ask for is consistency that's all.

Malla

Reaction score

Thats it. Worst thing the NRL ever did - now he seems untouchable. Even in speaking to the players, you can tell by the way he approaches Smith as apposed to Gallen that there's differences there. If the NRL want an even spread of talent in the refereeing then they need to give other guys a go at these big games.

Sutton is a bad, bad referee. Easily loses control and his way of trying to gain control is to continuously blow stupid penalties.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
he was an editor for the parramatta sun. So that's where his dribble skills come from.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
he was an editor for the parramatta sun. So that's where his dribble skills come from.
Some media outlets scrape the bottom of the barrel in their efforts to get the news out there and in this instance 'ain't that the truth'

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good luck to Mr 'Gerard Sutton can do no wrong 'Greenburg with selling the remaining 40k seats..
All we ask for is consistency that's all.
Look for some publicity along the lines of.." NRL rewards fans for their loyalty with 35000 free tickets, only while stocks last"

In the dictionary read by the NRL and their officials the word consistency and every derivative available are conspicuous in their absence.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some media outlets scrape the bottom of the barrel in their efforts to get the news out there and in this instance 'ain't that the truth'
Yeap so true. The dribble he speaks in the video is the same on the field.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look for some publicity along the lines of.." NRL rewards fans for their loyalty with 35000 free tickets, only while stocks last"

In the dictionary read by the NRL and their officials the word consistency and every derivative available are conspicuous in their absence.
Exactly , they'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill those seats .

It depresses me to feel so negative about the sport I love to watch.

What's so hard about making refs accountable ? Ok I'm not saying micromanage and pick on their every fault , I can appreciate how hard a job it would be applying the multitude of rules to such a fast paced game BUT there still needs to be some room for questioning .
The amount of refereeing errors witnessed last night was abysmal yet nothing has been publically addressed and so Gerard Sutton will continue to ref and continue to alienate passionate fans.

It's just sad

Gabs

Dumbfounded
Reaction score
Anyone know our record under Sutton as opposed to Cummins?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone know our record under Sutton as opposed to Cummins?
I can give results for 2016
SUTTON:
RD 1 vs. Manly won match 28-6 Lost penalty count 11-9
RD 9 vs. Eels lost match 20-12 Lost penalty count 6-4

CUMMINS:
RD 4 vs. Souths won match 42-12 Lost penalty count 6-4
RD 2 vs. Penrith won match 18-16 Drew penalty count 8-8

This is the statistical information which really alarms me

KLEIN
RD 12 vs. Canberra lost match 32-20 Lost penalty count 6-5
RD 5 vs. Canberra lost match 22-8 Lost penalty count 9-7
RD 8 vs. Titans won match 21-20 Lost penalty count 8-5

PERENARA Rd 7 vs. Warriors Lost 24-20 Lost penalty count 6-3

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Exactly , they'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill those seats .

It depresses me to feel so negative about the sport I love to watch.

What's so hard about making refs accountable ? Ok I'm not saying micromanage and pick on their every fault , I can appreciate how hard a job it would be applying the multitude of rules to such a fast paced game BUT there still needs to be some room for questioning .
The amount of refereeing errors witnessed last night was abysmal yet nothing has been publically addressed and so Gerard Sutton will continue to ref and continue to alienate passionate fans.

It's just sad
The NRL makes the officials a protected species which is a bloody joke! Consistently they make shit calls week in week out and they all hold their positions lol. Worst thing that happens is that get "dropped" for 1 week and that's it lol. The refs not being held accountable is all the doing of the powers that be.

Status
Not open for further replies.