The Gerard Sutton Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sutton didn't give the penalty against Reynolds, the video ref did. The Roosters hardly ever win a penalty count, yet they manage to win a fair few games. They won a premiership and were the most penalised team in the comp.

Losers always find someone else to blame. It's time the team and Des took some responsibility.
Lol are you serious losers always find someone else to blame with a 14-6 penalty count is that fair? And your beloved roosters have lost twice to the Sharks this year .

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd be laughing at the 55% completion rate and impotent attack.
Agree mate and I think that if you read my past posts regarding the game you will see that I have mentioned we were our own worst enemies. I still feel however that in certain instances we were had done by with decisions that were not given the other way.

pupii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree mate and I think that if you read my past posts regarding the game you will see that I have mentioned we were our own worst enemies. I still feel however that in certain instances we were had done by with decisions that were not given the other way.
That may be the case, it shits me though that Des constantly blames the refs. To me that breeds a lack of accountability in the players minds.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
sutton dropped the ball how many times missed how many tackles obstructed how many times, stop blaming the referees they had some impact on the game but it was minimal
sutton hates the dogs yes, but was he the reason we lost........no
He gave the bullshit penalty for the legal hit on Holmes.
He refused to call no try when Holmes never touched the ball.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a mixture of our poor discipline, us playing shite and Sutton being shite. You watch games all the time and see refs do it all the time, they ref one side more than the other. Not saying it cost us the game but he was awful. The tone was set when early in the game we drive a player over the touch line then you can clearly hear "do you want to check Josh Reynolds for being late?" or something to that effect. When replay is shown on TV it was absolutely nothing, but it just shows their mind set going into the game.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way he speaks to Graham is very dismissive and vague and Reynolds cops a 'go away Josh' 'go away Josh"
He hates the Bulldogs everyone can see that, How then can he be allowed to Ref our games
when he is in breach of the first rule of refereeing?

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ever since the good Friday game where he got the backing of Greenberg, the media and the footy show Sutton believes he's untouchable and to a degree is. Until such time as they are directly held accountable like players are the judiciary this crap will continue

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
sutton dropped the ball how many times missed how many tackles obstructed how many times, stop blaming the referees they had some impact on the game but it was minimal
sutton hates the dogs yes, but was he the reason we lost........no
If you look at the stats they are pretty close bar penalties. I took this just before the end of the game. Safe to say the difference in penalties (and timing of penalties) affected the outcome of the game

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If you look at the stats they are pretty close bar penalties. I took this just before the end of the game. Safe to say the difference in penalties (and timing of penalties) affected the outcome of the game

Penalties he blew for no reason hurt us alot, I don't get how a team giving away more than twice the penalties the other team has only loses by 2 points...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Penalties he blew for no reason hurt us alot, I don't get how a team giving away more than twice the penalties the other team has only loses by 2 points...
Possession is almost 60%

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Completion rate is ridiculous 20/35
It is but all our other stats are fairly even, just penalties are the worry and the possession caused from it lol

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way he speaks to Graham is very dismissive and vague and Reynolds cops a 'go away Josh' 'go away Josh"
He hates the Bulldogs everyone can see that, How then can he be allowed to Ref our games
when he is in breach of the first rule of refereeing?
I wonder if he will be wearing his smirk when one of us becomes the next Alex McKinnon?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The game was too stop start for us to get momentum going which played well in the hands for the sharks. Still that penalty count is absolute bullshit. When has a home team been hammed so badly with a penalty count? To sum it up we were underdone, had no momentum and couldn't get into the game but honestly the reffing did not help us at all. Too many inconsistent calls and penalties given at crucial times and placement.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My problem with Sutton is not so much when he penalises us, it is the penalties he doesn't give to us when our opponents transgress. I have similar issues with most other referees particularly Cummins and Maxwell. The Fifita play the ball on Sunday when he didn't face goal to goal is a perfect example. That has been a penalty all my life (over 60 years) not a scrum. Cost us 20-30 metress in territory. There was also a decision on the hill side of the ground where a Shark player made no effort to roll away from the ruck area, and Liccha knocked on while trying to pick up the ball. Obvious penalty, not given, he ruled scrum Sharks feed. Sutton is not putting our opponents under the same scrutiny as we are. Why all of a sudden in an era where low penalty counts are the norm and usually favour the home team do we have a more than 2-1 majority penalty count against the home team? Heaven help us when we play Newcastle and Brisbane at their fortresses what the count will be be, or if Sutton referees us against Souths in a few weeks. Agreed our discipline at times is poor but as was said earlier, the game on Sunday was relatively even except for one obvious area. We are Sutton's pet hate, and the club needs to be pro-active in getting to the bottom of the problem. The last 10 games he has reffed us, I think we might have won three.

I am dubious as to whether James Graham is right captain. Love his passion but would we be better off with a less passionate captainlike Tolman or one of the Morris' brothers? We never won a Grand Final refereed by Bill Harrigan and we will never win one refereed by the similarly arrogant Sutton. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NRL is so corrupt atm it is ridiculously obvious.. the two teams leading the comp have both been implicated in salary cap breaches, but yet the NRL almost instantly come out and say they are not going to be investigated ... imagine the bulldogs name was implicated .. they would strip the office walls looking for evidence....

The NRL will be known from this moment on as the NDL (national dictators league) ... The independent commission please take a bow for destroying our game

Malla

Reaction score
Gerard Sutton does blow the most penalties in games. It really kills the flow of the game and turns it into a boring game of footy - for example, at the 60th minute mark on the weekend, Sutton had blown 17 penalties and we had only seen 37 minutes of footy - albeit stopping and starting. This in turn causes errors because when you are stopping and starting so much, it ruins your feel for the game and you get lapses of concentration.

Compare this to the game prior - Panthers v Raiders. Only 8 penalties blown all game and we saw one of the best attacking and free flowing games of the year in my opinion.

Sutton also reffed origin 3 - here we saw 17 penalties blown with almost 30 minutes worth of stoppages. Sutton I believe is on a power trip and finds the best way for him to assert himself in the game is to blow penalties. He is ruining the game. I think these new rule changes with the intro of the shot clock and reduction of interchanges won't do anything to the quality of the game if we have refs like Sutton taking over.

Status
Not open for further replies.