News The forgotten players: Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly, we also played the last GF at the SFS when we lost to the Broncos in 1998.

Then Storm won it in 1999 at the Olympic Stadium at the biggest ever NRL crowd - I think around 108,000
You’re right mate.
I was overseas and couldn’t go to the ‘98 GF which in hindsight wasn’t a bad thing. Being there in ‘86 and ‘94 was bad enough - but we had more good times than not during that time so glass half full :-).

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ever reliable "No Frills" Shane Marteene. Played in the 98 GF. Wasn't a fan at first as he lacked attacking flair as an outside back, but always did his job & held his own.
I'll never forget the game when Greg Bird (Sharks) kneed him in the head when Shane was playing the ball. Bird got about 10 weeks.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ever reliable "No Frills" Shane Marteene. Played in the 98 GF. Wasn't a fan at first as he lacked attacking flair as an outside back, but always did his job & held his own.
I'll never forget the game when Greg Bird (Sharks) kneed him in the head when Shane was playing the ball. Bird got about 10 weeks.
He scored a ripper try to seal the game in 98 final series to seal the game against the Dragons too.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marteene was an Absolute knob, left went to souths and that was it.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Geez. when mentioning underrated players, you would have to include Jamie Feeney and to a lesser extent because he played a lot of Rep footy, Jason Hetherington. Two great player for the Dogs. And don't forget my old mate Craig Polla-Mounter. All 3 gave their all for the Club. Thanks fella's.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Leo Toohey
Ross Kidd
George Taylforth
Terry Reynolds
Garry Dowling
Steve Gearin
Wow, you are going back a few years. Terry reynolds got dropped because he wouldn't get a haircut!
Peter Inskip
Bill noonan
Lee pomfrett
Henry tatana
Phil young

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fualalo and Tualao whoever they were a couple of years ago did their best to hold the place up, we kept dumping our back bone.

zac hollywood

Waterboy
Reaction score
Jack anslow- he is actually mick ennis’s father in law. Sean Skelton came from Nowra, glen frendo , Bankstown sports junior, Jeremy moors, east hills bulldogs junior.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Know this is opposite to the thread in terms of games played, however as forgotten ayers go, have to mention Steve Reardon, 163 games over 12 years!