The Football Thread (For all Football/Soccer talk)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
depends... I really think Tottenham made the error in not cashing in... and City just might be thankful in that it allows them to go for a younger, better, longer term centre forward

and Pep can now play the "we are too big, too principled a club to keep a disgruntled player that wants to leave" card as Rangnick has already about United players that want to leave... and still likely win the EPL
All depends on the outcome of the EPL and CL tbh.

If City don't win at least one of them, if not both, then I'd say Spurs came out on top?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All depends on the outcome of the EPL and CL tbh.

If City don't win at least one of them, if not both, then I'd say Spurs came out on top?
who is going to buy Harry Kane now? I don't think City come back in for him... United won't with CR7 there now... Chelsea have that bumbler Lukaku... Kane would struggle at Liverpool with the amount of work he would have to do and deferring to the last Pharaoh of Egypt... Real and Barcelona wouldn't want him and regardless, don't have the money... Bayern Munich will look to replace Lewandowski from within Germany or a young and up and coming CF on the continent who is cheaper... PSG - even if they lose Mbappe - have Messi and Neymar

Tottenham might have held firm on their valuation of Kane of £160 million but as long as he remains at 3 Point Lane, that valuation, that worth, is unrealised and thus, pointless

as for the EPL, the Spurs are not a contender and as for the Champions League, they weren't even in it and have been eliminated from the Europa Conference League due to - in effect - a forfeit... so, they were never in direct competition with City for either trophy and so, keeping Kane from transferring to City - even if that proves to be determinative in City missing out on the EPL and UCL titles - is hardly a Tottenham victory... then again, it's Spurs with the janitor's mop in the cabinet where trophies should be and so they will likely take what they can

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
who is going to buy Harry Kane now? I don't think City come back in for him... United won't with CR7 there now... Chelsea have that bumbler Lukaku... Kane would struggle at Liverpool with the amount of work he would have to do and deferring to the last Pharaoh of Egypt... Real and Barcelona wouldn't want him and regardless, don't have the money... Bayern Munich will look to replace Lewandowski from within Germany or a young and up and coming CF on the continent who is cheaper... PSG - even if they lose Mbappe - have Messi and Neymar

Tottenham might have held firm on their valuation of Kane of £160 million but as long as he remains at 3 Point Lane, that valuation, that worth, is unrealised and thus, pointless

as for the EPL, the Spurs are not a contender and as for the Champions League, they weren't even in it and have been eliminated from the Europa Conference League due to - in effect - a forfeit... so, they were never in direct competition with City for either trophy and so, keeping Kane from transferring to City - even if that proves to be determinative in City missing out on the EPL and UCL titles - is hardly a Tottenham victory... then again, it's Spurs with the janitor's mop in the cabinet where trophies should be and so they will likely take what they can
I don't think anyone will buy Kane now personally. But, maybe it means Kane stays there for a good number of years. He can't sulk forever so he'll have to start putting in a shift?

My main thinking is that the 'winner' really comes down to how City perform. They've been doing really well so far without a striker, but maybe that comes back to bite them in the arse in the latter stages of the CL and EPL?

If they were to come out to the season with nothing, then I'd have to think most people would point to not having a striker as a part of that. though, they've got to 1st and qualified to the last 16 without one so ...

It's true though. Kane will never be close to 160m or whatever again imo. Especially not after this season.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
between Ferran Torres and Gabriel Jesus with perhaps Sterling or De Bruyne as a false 9, City should have enough for the EPL title

they also have the January transfer window coming up

I think City win next year's UCL title in Pep's last season with the club

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I believe they've actually gotta sell players for FFP? I read that they've got a massive bank loan so they have the 'cash' but they need to get players off the books. Apparently ...
Theyve got a 600m bank loan, they’re also 1.3 billion in debt. I cant make an sense of it.

The Spainish league has a wage cap and they need to free up on wages before they can register Torres.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Kane’s best bet is signing a new contract, he isn’t leaving and so he may as well cash in. He has a world class manager and is surrounded with a great team, if he is the player he thinks he is then he should be able to drag them a few places up the league.

But he has always been so overrated, for all the criticism Ronaldo gets for his work rate, Kane is just as bad and not a bad word is said by any journo.

Chelsea should do a straight Kane for Lukaku swap. Both teams would benefit from that.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
between Ferran Torres and Gabriel Jesus with perhaps Sterling or De Bruyne as a false 9, City should have enough for the EPL title

they also have the January transfer window coming up

I think City win next year's UCL title in Pep's last season with the club
Torres has played his last game for them, so it’ll be Jesus up front and Foden at times playing false nine. Theyve got the squad to blitz the league still.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Theyve got a 600m bank loan, they’re also 1.3 billion in debt. I cant make an sense of it.

The Spainish league has a wage cap and they need to free up on wages before they can register Torres.
A dodgy deal by City? Don't know mate.

Doesn't sit right with me that Barca are able to make such a purchase but ...?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A dodgy deal by City? Don't know mate.

Doesn't sit right with me that Barca are able to make such a purchase but ...?
Wouldn’t be the first time they’d have gotten involved in dodgey deals. And Barca have a history of “creative” accounting

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torres has played his last game for them, so it’ll be Jesus up front and Foden at times playing false nine. Theyve got the squad to blitz the league still.
I did not realise the Torres transfer would be for January to replace Kun Aguero

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kane’s best bet is signing a new contract, he isn’t leaving and so he may as well cash in. He has a world class manager and is surrounded with a great team, if he is the player he thinks he is then he should be able to drag them a few places up the league.

But he has always been so overrated, for all the criticism Ronaldo gets for his work rate, Kane is just as bad and not a bad word is said by any journo.

Chelsea should do a straight Kane for Lukaku swap. Both teams would benefit from that.
agreed... I always thought Kane was a class below the likes of Shearer, Rooney, Owen at his best etc.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone on here watching the UNited game?

Holy shit. Worst I've seen them for some time and that's saying something.

Expect them to blow Newcastle away this 21nd half but jesus. I remember one esteemed United supporter talking about how much of a difference it'll be to have Varane back ... Shocking so far,

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ronaldo had to be sent off them. Holy shit VAR is terrible. Once again protecting the darlings of the game.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even though I still think United will win, they really haven't come out all guns blazing like I thought?

Strange tbh as they've had a good rest. No real excuses for this performance so far. Should be 2 down at this point too!

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ref trying his best to keep United in this with a stonewall penalty to Newcastle turned down ...

OK. Perhaps not stonewall ;)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm callling a last min penalty to United (Manchester that is)

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Newcastle deserve more then a draw. Ridiculous how unlucky they've been.