The Football Thread (For all Football/Soccer talk)

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
maybe a lot of these United players just aren't as good as their billing... this is Rangnick's 4th game in charge and for 3.5 games it is hard to discern any noticeable change from when Ole was in charge... at some point you have to look at the players as the common denominator in years of United's poor displays
Think that's never been an argument, well, not for non-United supporters anyway. Clear as day the team simply isn't good enough which is a scary thing for a United supporter when you consider how much they've spent.

Ralph needs some time to implement his strategy and style so it's not fair he's judged too much I guess? 3 games in is it? Two wins out of 3 and only 1 goal against?

The reality is tho that they need so many new signings it's scary.

Goal keeper. Get your views on De Gea and you're right about his distribution but this is one area I think they're ok in.

Outside backs. Wan Bissaka and Shaw? Vanished. Are they injured? Weren't good enough imo tho I think Shaw was actually pretty good lack year. Two new backs just look lost and devoid of defensive understanding. Need one if not two outside backs.

Centre backs. It was said Varane would be the saviour back there. Terrible yesterday but he is a decent player so I'm sure he'll improve. Maquire. Putting price tag to the side, an absolute embarrassment of a CB. Shocking. And he's the captain. Two back up CBs are extremely hot and cold. Need another two CBs

Midfield. Has been clear as day for some time this was the area most lacking and still is. McFred. Shocking. Bruno. As far from the 'superstar' status some like to label him as possible. He's actually a decent player but more of a bench option imo. Pogba. Shown nothing. They need two if not three midfielders.

Attack. Ronaldo has been what most knew he'd be. Goal scorer but bad for the team. His display last night was ordinary. Greenwood. Tones of talent but been ordinary this year. Rashford. Plenty of promise but just not good enough. Cavani. Top player but leaving this summer. Sancho. No idea what's happened to him. Nees another two attackers.

The reality is that United need to bring in at least 6 players, top players, to be back at that top level. Plus find a top manager.

Have said this for some time so am not trolling or whatever. Just don't know how United go forward with this squad?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Conte has improved Spurs, Ralph hasn’t improved them yet.
This is an important point tho. Ralph has had so much time to implement his vision and style that there can't be any excuses.

Watching that game last night, it looked as tho they'd never played a game together. There was no fight. No desire. No structure. No vision.

Let's be honest. Newcastle missed an open goal and a host of other chances. Ronaldo should've been sent off. There was a penalty call I've seen given but the ref was in United's back pocket.

That was a point gained rather than 2 points lost for United. Shocking performance.

They should've been better.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think with every United performance the result is overblown one way or another. You can bring in prime Pep and Klopp and they aren’t going to make much of a side that’s relying on McTominay and Fred to provide service for our attack.

I don’t buy the Conte and Rangnick comparisons. Conte had an extra 3 weeks of practice, Including an international break. 3 weeks in, his team was getting knocked out of the conference league by some shit danish side. It’s about perspective.

We were horrible against Newcastle. Awful. Probably worse than any game we’ve played this season and that says something. But it’s hardly a surprise when you’ve had a manager come in and he has had 3 weeks to change the tactics that have been drilled into these players for the past 3 seasons. None of these players have been apart of a pressing side, not at United or their former clubs. We had 17 players test positive for covid only 12 days ago, that’s a factor, not an excuse but a factor.

Should we have still beaten Newcastle, of course. Could Rangnick fail? Maybe. But let’s at least give him a month.

Varane was shocking but he has been out with 2 injuries and he is a proven world class centre back, there is no worry there.

Maguire… I don’t know what’s happened to him, he was really good for his first two years here. Rumours are he doesn’t want the captaincy. We’d still get a decent fee for him if we sold him, and I would be exploring all possibilities.

AWB and Shaw, both have been out of form this season and rightly displaced. I can see a new fullback coming in at the end of the season.

McTominay and Fred, both would be really really good said options, but neither should be starting. It’s been our biggest issue for a year now, we can’t link our midfield to attack.

In attack, I feel bad for them, we haven’t created one clear cut chance for any of our forwards, look at the last few goals we’ve scored and it’s them making a goal out of nothing.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think with every United performance the result is overblown one way or another. You can bring in prime Pep and Klopp and they aren’t going to make much of a side that’s relying on McTominay and Fred to provide service for our attack.

I don’t buy the Conte and Rangnick comparisons. Conte had an extra 3 weeks of practice, Including an international break. 3 weeks in, his team was getting knocked out of the conference league by some shit danish side. It’s about perspective.

We were horrible against Newcastle. Awful. Probably worse than any game we’ve played this season and that says something. But it’s hardly a surprise when you’ve had a manager come in and he has had 3 weeks to change the tactics that have been drilled into these players for the past 3 seasons. None of these players have been apart of a pressing side, not at United or their former clubs. We had 17 players test positive for covid only 12 days ago, that’s a factor, not an excuse but a factor.

Should we have still beaten Newcastle, of course. Could Rangnick fail? Maybe. But let’s at least give him a month.

Varane was shocking but he has been out with 2 injuries and he is a proven world class centre back, there is no worry there.

Maguire… I don’t know what’s happened to him, he was really good for his first two years here. Rumours are he doesn’t want the captaincy. We’d still get a decent fee for him if we sold him, and I would be exploring all possibilities.

AWB and Shaw, both have been out of form this season and rightly displaced. I can see a new fullback coming in at the end of the season.

McTominay and Fred, both would be really really good said options, but neither should be starting. It’s been our biggest issue for a year now, we can’t link our midfield to attack.

In attack, I feel bad for them, we haven’t created one clear cut chance for any of our forwards, look at the last few goals we’ve scored and it’s them making a goal out of nothing.
Agree about giving your manager more time. He's walked into an absolute shitstorm and he's on a hiding to nothign.

The reality is though mate, your lot are poor. Your players are poor.

The fact that you say Maguire was really good the first few years says it all to me mate. Nothing against you as I think you know a lot about footy, most likely more than me in all honesty. But that there shows you're following your team with your heart not your mind.

A blind man could see how poor he's been. How many mistakes he had in him. Maybe he had some decent games, but for a guy who's your captain and apparently saviour at the back he was far below the level required. We pointed it out continually, and most of you boys pushed back. Fair enough.

But, to me this is part of the problem of United. People buying into shit. Your squad simply isn't good enough. The players you brought into save you? Not good enough. Sorry.

Don't like the Conte comparisons? You're right. He had more time. No doubt.

You watch United games more closely than me, but I do watch them. That Newcastle game. The first half. Absolutely dreadful. No passion. No structure. All at sea. Same mistakes. No one is expecting for you guys to turn it around in a wewek or two, but damn man. No improvements to be seen at all? Same mistakes, but perhaps worse because there was absolutely no desire. It honestly felt like he'd lost the dressing room in all honesty. After how many weeks?

Fair play to you for looking for positives. I honestly have a lot of time for you mate, I really do. But, you've gotta take a step back and realise that this has been going on for some time and will most likely go for some time more as it stands.

You'll play in patches. Do well in spurts. Look world class on occassions. But will never have the consistency to do much more than that.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course it's done, you need to be perfect to beat a cheating city.
What I will say is that luck can't last forever. City will slip up.

The issue is that Liverpool have given them way way too much room to wiggle with. Can see them dropping a few games I guess. But, being 8 points behind we'd seriously need to win every game till the end of the season in all honesty.

Just can't see it but at the same time I'm certainly not giving up.

Chelsea game is absolutely HUGE now. Lose that as I honestly can't see how there'd be any way out of it.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Title race could be done within the next 2 weeks, If it is not done already.
yep. Chelsea are done I think. And Liverpool need a result next match at Chelsea. More dropped points and I will call it for Man city.
But if Liverpool can stay within 6 points of City we are still a chance as we still have to play them and there are many matches left .

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree about giving your manager more time. He's walked into an absolute shitstorm and he's on a hiding to nothign.

The reality is though mate, your lot are poor. Your players are poor.

The fact that you say Maguire was really good the first few years says it all to me mate. Nothing against you as I think you know a lot about footy, most likely more than me in all honesty. But that there shows you're following your team with your heart not your mind.

A blind man could see how poor he's been. How many mistakes he had in him. Maybe he had some decent games, but for a guy who's your captain and apparently saviour at the back he was far below the level required. We pointed it out continually, and most of you boys pushed back. Fair enough.

But, to me this is part of the problem of United. People buying into shit. Your squad simply isn't good enough. The players you brought into save you? Not good enough. Sorry.

Don't like the Conte comparisons? You're right. He had more time. No doubt.

You watch United games more closely than me, but I do watch them. That Newcastle game. The first half. Absolutely dreadful. No passion. No structure. All at sea. Same mistakes. No one is expecting for you guys to turn it around in a wewek or two, but damn man. No improvements to be seen at all? Same mistakes, but perhaps worse because there was absolutely no desire. It honestly felt like he'd lost the dressing room in all honesty. After how many weeks?

Fair play to you for looking for positives. I honestly have a lot of time for you mate, I really do. But, you've gotta take a step back and realise that this has been going on for some time and will most likely go for some time more as it stands.

You'll play in patches. Do well in spurts. Look world class on occassions. But will never have the consistency to do much more than that.
Maguire won’t have a future here anyway if we bring in a coach who plays like Ralf, Maguire is suited to a team that sits in a low block. He was arguably a top 5 centre back in the league in the last season at Leicester, as well as his first season at United when we finished with the most clean sheets in all comps across Europe. This is a player that was voted best centre back at both a World Cup and Euros. The issue is we started to play with a higher line over the last two seasons and especially now under Ralf, it completely highlights his biggest weakness which is his pace. You need to play to his strengths and unfortunately that won’t be achieved at United. It’s a disgrace that he is still captain though. No doubt we need to upgrade now and hopefully Rangnick can use the same magic he used to unearth Konate and Upamencano.

We need to reshape the squad. We don’t need a full rebuild, we just need to cash in on some players and fill in a few holes.

A new right back, 2 midfielders and a depth striker would leave us with a complete squad. But a new right back and a top class midfielder and you could see this whole team change.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What I will say is that luck can't last forever. City will slip up.

The issue is that Liverpool have given them way way too much room to wiggle with. Can see them dropping a few games I guess. But, being 8 points behind we'd seriously need to win every game till the end of the season in all honesty.

Just can't see it but at the same time I'm certainly not giving up.

Chelsea game is absolutely HUGE now. Lose that as I honestly can't see how there'd be any way out of it.
The issue with City is that they don’t even draw many games, they win all the really close games. They won 21 straight last year, they make little noise but next thing you know they’re at the top with a 12 point cushion

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
yep. Chelsea are done I think. And Liverpool need a result next match at Chelsea. More dropped points and I will call it for Man city.
But if Liverpool can stay within 6 points of City we are still a chance as we still have to play them and there are many matches left .
Liverpool need to beat City when they face them if they’re to stand any chance of winning the title. Lose that and it becomes all but impossible

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
City only 6 points in front of Liverpool coz there a game ahead
Liverpool surrendered 7 point lead last year at the same time
Not even close to the title race being over
Liverpools catch up game is Leeds, so they will bank 3 points there
So only 6 points behind when all games are played and caught up

Last edited:

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Liverpool need to beat City when they face them if they’re to stand any chance of winning the title. Lose that and it becomes all but impossible
Let’s see , the Chelsea - Liverpool game is a big one next Tuesday . Liverpool have to win it to be in the hunt . Reduce the margin back to 6 and you’re still close enough . Plenty of games left .
The PL has plenty of surprises. Brighton deserved the win against Chelsea today, they looked the better team for mine.
Chelsea for me are done.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The title is Man City's. Too much depth in this covid era over their rivals.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maguire won’t have a future here anyway if we bring in a coach who plays like Ralf, Maguire is suited to a team that sits in a low block. He was arguably a top 5 centre back in the league in the last season at Leicester, as well as his first season at United when we finished with the most clean sheets in all comps across Europe. This is a player that was voted best centre back at both a World Cup and Euros. The issue is we started to play with a higher line over the last two seasons and especially now under Ralf, it completely highlights his biggest weakness which is his pace. You need to play to his strengths and unfortunately that won’t be achieved at United. It’s a disgrace that he is still captain though. No doubt we need to upgrade now and hopefully Rangnick can use the same magic he used to unearth Konate and Upamencano.

We need to reshape the squad. We don’t need a full rebuild, we just need to cash in on some players and fill in a few holes.

A new right back, 2 midfielders and a depth striker would leave us with a complete squad. But a new right back and a top class midfielder and you could see this whole team change.
At Leicester he was slow and made the same type of mistakes. Was always going to get found out when playing for a better team playing a higher block as you say. From day one at United he was never convincing but you're right in that this year he's been super bad. Can't see a way back for him at all.

New right back and midfielder and the whole team changes? Maybe?

Said last year that you need to make a min of 6 changes (was hounded out for it) and I'll stick to that. Entire backline is in trouble. Varane perhaps is the one you can rely on? But I'd say you need 2 CBs and a wide back.

Midfield you need a min of two players. A min because atm McFred shouldn't be starting then you've got the Bruno problem.

Attack? Cavani and Ronaldo will be gone soon enough. Rashford has never been good enough. Greenwood and Sancho are class but well off it so two attackers at a min too.

Shit. It's looking like 7 players at a min of I'm being honest

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At Leicester he was slow and made the same type of mistakes. Was always going to get found out when playing for a better team playing a higher block as you say. From day one at United he was never convincing but you're right in that this year he's been super bad. Can't see a way back for him at all.

New right back and midfielder and the whole team changes? Maybe?

Said last year that you need to make a min of 6 changes (was hounded out for it) and I'll stick to that. Entire backline is in trouble. Varane perhaps is the one you can rely on? But I'd say you need 2 CBs and a wide back.

Midfield you need a min of two players. A min because atm McFred shouldn't be starting then you've got the Bruno problem.

Attack? Cavani and Ronaldo will be gone soon enough. Rashford has never been good enough. Greenwood and Sancho are class but well off it so two attackers at a min too.

Shit. It's looking like 7 players at a min of I'm being honest
I don’t think we or any side would be able to replace that many players in one go. It’s just a team out of form.

De Gea and Henderson are probably the best keeper pairing in the league.

AWB, Shaw, Telles and Dalot are all internationals and both AWB and Shaw have shown they can be up there with the best in their position within the PL. I would say AWB’s style doesn’t suit United though and we probably should replace him, however we’d get a handsome fee for him.

Varane, Maguire, Lindelof and Bailly are our centre backs and theyre all out of form except for Lindelof who has been decent this season. I think you could replace Maguire if you were to find a better option.

Midfield is our problem area and we definitely need two midfielders.

In attack, even when we lose Cavani, Martial and Lingard, we will have Ronaldo, Sancho, Rashford and Greenwood, along with Elanga who is a bright young winger who has broken through.

Pogba, Lingard, Matic, Mata, Jones, Martial and Cavani are expected to leave by the end of the season, saving close to 65 million a year on wages. Plus most of our players that youd think could be replaced all have a decent resell value.

Most squads look uninspiring when you remove two or three key pieces. A coach shouldn’t need 11 world class players to succeed. Your very own Liverpool team who has been dominant in the league sees the likes of Milner and Henderson as key parts of the sides, and it was only a few years ago when both were laughing stocks of the league. In a years time we could have secured Ten Hag from Ajax and he could have turned McTominay into a solid first teamer, or Shaw could be back to being one of the best left backs in Europe. We really don’t know how the squad will look in a few months time.

There will be a few incomings though and hopefully this time they turn out well. It all comes down to signing the right player at the right time. We could be a centre back and midfielder from challenging just like when Liverpool added Allison, VVD and Salah and took off.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see who Newcastle chase over the next 12-18 months.

They are trying to sign Trippier and Botman apparently. Interested in Lingard too.

Those would be three fantastic signings for them. They seem to be going about signings much better than when the City owners first took over.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's Lukaku doing? Holy shit. Calling out Tuchel after only 6 months at the club? Far out. Madness that