Opinion THE FLOG BRANDY ALEXANDER RE BURTON

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Interesting that 3 current/former leading coaches (Gould, Bennett & Hasler) who are renowned for strong bonds with their players all seem to leave their clubs in difficult salary cap positions. Bellamy seems the only exception but he is a one club head coach and had 2/3 future immortals in the team for most of that time.

Maybe they're too invested in close relationships with their players and it clouds their $ judgement.
True of Hasler's time here :grinning:

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL one thing I dont get..hes so quick to jump on why they let mansour go, the money would have put them over to keep staines luai yeo etc

But why hold Burton back from earning more money? Its essentially the same thing in reverse
Because it suits the Pennies to keep him. No one said they had to have the players best interest in mind. They are willing to forgo any future relationship with Burton for the sake of this year. Gus has said he would let him go early to keep the relationship (and possibly get him back after this dogs contract when he's polished), but obviously that's not shared by Pennies board.

Mansour went because he agreed to, and was willing to forgo the last year of his large contract for a higher chance if playing first grade elsewhere (and now he's been dropped out of FG, and made scapegoat for Souffs having underperforming halves and forwards). If he wanted to stay, albeit in reggies, the Pennies would have to honour it (ala Eastwood for us).

No one said clubs had to be fair, only that they couldn't break the rules (eventhough everyone is sure they do).

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbh, I don’t have a problem at all with anything Brandy said and anything the Panthers have done regarding Burton.

It was refreshing hearing him fkn rubbish Mansour and say he was out the door lol.

I’m not letting my back up half go to another club early. 1 injury to Cleary or Luai and he will be in over May I don’t care what anyone thinks.

Cleary will also be missing during Origin.

I’d be telling Canterbury to eat a bag of dicks, Burton is under contract, his services are required at the club that is currently paying him.

Should there no longer be a need for him then sure let’s revisit.. but best believe i’d be asking for something in return.

They hold all the cards. Don’t sook about them letting Laurie go early or sending Mansour off the plank. It has nothing to do with Burton specifically.
Agreed with everything you said - however, we still can question the hypocrisy of the the Panthers organization, and in particular the coach involved.

Remember - he created the bus, asked players to "get on the bus", signed an extended contract with the Tigers - and when he realized his son wouldn't be joining him, spat the dummy and did everything in his power to secure a release. He completely fucked over the Tigers roster in a very Des-liked fashion too (paid overs for Mbye, Reynolds, Packer etc), and then went out the backdoor.

Burton is much more classy than that, and has been exemplary in his overall approach to the situation. Much more class than those above him, that much is obvious.

Whilst it has nothing to do with Burton specifically, it reeks of hypocrisy from the most important person in this situation - Ivan Cleary. And that cannot be questioned, especially when you look at the Mansauce situation. Brandy danced around it - he touched on the fact that by releasing Mansour, they were able to secure some juniors. Fine - but if your purpose is to secure juniors, aren't they doing the opposite by keeping a player on their books for 8 months, when he is ours come November 1st? Can't they sign up ANOTHER one of their juniors?

Just call a spade a spade. They want to have their cake and eat it too. They have every right to act in the manner they are, but we have every right to adjudge them to be hypocrites - because that is exactly what they are.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The public disrespect towards Mansour was pretty confronting. How's he feeling today :grinning:

Yes it's just business but Brandy's language got personal and unprofessional.

Penrith Board won't be thanking him you'd reckon for bringing their ethics into question for a lot of league fans.

Statements like that encourage players not to be loyal and to take the Matterson approach I guess.

You're a long time retired skint and washed up with head knocks, with comments like Alexander's to remind you of your club loyalty.
Fair to say a PR disaster. I'm sure plenty of players still there who'd consider Mansour a close friend as well. Might be the defining moment in a negative way, for Penrith's season.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interesting that 3 current/former leading coaches (Gould, Bennett & Hasler) who are renowned for strong bonds with their players all seem to leave their clubs in difficult salary cap positions. Bellamy seems the only exception but he is a one club head coach and had 2/3 future immortals in the team for most of that time.

Maybe they're too invested in close relationships with their players and it clouds their $ judgement.
Might be wrong but it definitely looks like it.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The public disrespect towards Mansour was pretty confronting. How's he feeling today :grinning:

Yes it's just business but Brandy's language got personal and unprofessional.

Penrith Board won't be thanking him you'd reckon for bringing their ethics into question for a lot of league fans.

Statements like that encourage players not to be loyal and to take the Matterson approach I guess.

You're a long time retired skint and washed up with head knocks, with comments like Alexander's to remind you of your club loyalty.
Hope Burton and his Manager watched that. Smug smirking Alexander not giving a toss at all about the players that were discussed more about spite and walk all over anyone to get a premiership.
it will come back to bite them some how.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Here is the thing. If we were in the Panthers situation, I'd find it unlikely we would do anything different. We really just need to be stronger on the field and have that same dilemma.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair to say a PR disaster. I'm sure plenty of players still there who'd consider Mansour a close friend as well. Might be the defining moment in a negative way, for Penrith's season.
His performance last Friday didn’t do much to help his cause

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There’s an element of spite in Penrith keeping Burton since TB defected and tried poaching a few of their rising stars. Of course, there’s also the fact Penrith could be without one or both of their halves for 2-3 games.

Penrith are choosing to have their cake and eat it, desperately trying to offload Mansour mid-contract but blocking Burton from leaving mid-contract.

It is within the rules as Brandy mentioned, but he’s seeing everything through Penrith coloured lenses. Its very rare a club doesn’t release a player who can play first grade when their stocks are full, it’s kind of the way these days and most of those players and their managers have made it difficult to retain them anyway by bringing in the bad publicity, but Burton is a Mr Nice guy, he hasn’t thrown stones and that’s made it easier for Penrith to stay firm.

Who knows what happens after round 2??

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
As if you’re a Leb. You’re from the subcontinent mate.
It’s like the bloke I went to school with whose parents were from Sri Lanka but the father was working in Jamaica when my school mate was born. He tried calling himself ‘Jamaican’ but that wasn’t going to wash - and hence was known as the SriJaican for suitable piss extraction. Same for the Lindian? :-).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
There’s an element of spite in Penrith keeping Burton since TB defected and tried poaching a few of their rising stars. Of course, there’s also the fact Penrith could be without one or both of their halves for 2-3 games.

Penrith are choosing to have their cake and eat it, desperately trying to offload Mansour mid-contract but blocking Burton from leaving mid-contract.

It is within the rules as Brandy mentioned, but he’s seeing everything through Penrith coloured lenses. Its very rare a club doesn’t release a player who can play first grade when their stocks are full, it’s kind of the way these days and most of those players and their managers have made it difficult to retain them anyway by bringing in the bad publicity, but Burton is a Mr Nice guy, he hasn’t thrown stones and that’s made it easier for Penrith to stay firm.

Who knows what happens after round 2??
Agree. Get the sense they can passively take his loyalty towards his contract and his upstanding ethics, for granted. Whereas with other players, this situation usually sees the player released.

There is def the digging in their heels bc of Baz issue also.

Also remember Newcastle wouldn't let Cogger go early either. Not sure how that went for him. He may have established himself with that extra front end year ?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree. Mansour can look after himself and if he was being paid too much well that's on Brandy and their board.

Not a good look, and disloyal to tell the world on TV that he was on too much money, when it was their decision to re-sign him. For all we know he might have accepted less than his other offers to show his loyalty to them.

They are the one's who offerred him that contract and drew up the papers in a commercial decision to stop him signing elsewhere and keep him and now Brandy publicly embarrasses the guy for doing so.

Last edited:

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nerve of this prick! Pick and choose when to break a players contract. Wanker

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I love how Cleary said they wouldnt release Burton because he was a very important part of their plans this year. Then they put him in reserve grade. It must be very important to them to win the reserve grade title this year. We all know not releasing Burton was a retaliation to Barrett leaving and taking a few players with him. Burton will only become an important part of their plans if they get 2 injured halves, since Luai, Cleary, May are ahead of him.