The Coach to Build a Dynasty

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kearney would be an improvement, but I'd call on Dymock - he understands the club and its culture; plus he was dealt a poor performing, team and did something with it. Imagine what he could do with this side, and the potential it has.
I agree. Give him the rest of the year and see how he goes. Can't be any worse than what we've got now. Dymock was a great club man and a ferocious contender. He has my vote for a trial period.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seeing what Holbrook is dishing up at the Titans, I’d be very nervous about an English coach coming over.

So many quality players there going backwards…
Weren't TK howling last week because we "missed out" on Holbrook. If we had got him we may have not been in any better situation than we are now.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn’t say to start now, I have said all along that I think Barrett will get the year. But Furner as interim… OMG
Yep Furner would be shit but if Baz gets moved on mid season that’s the only option I think.

The season will be a write off by then anyway

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate I would promote Mick Potter before ever giving that heap the whistle. When Barrett goes it shouldbe with Furner and the pie eater.
Yep that could be an option. I don’t rate Furner, just suggesting what might happen.

Potter might end up doing a good job

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
There’s a lot of support for Flanagan but why? I don’t really see any reasons for him besides being experienced.

Here’s why I wouldn’t go near him

-Hasn’t been a head coach or a regular assistant since 2017 which is a huge length of time given the amount of changes in the game.

-Questionable cap management as he left the Sharks in a Des style mess with expensive long term deals for players like Aaron Woods, Josh Dugan and Matt Moylan.

-We are locked in with Kyle as halfback and his return to NRL doesn’t leave me with much confidence he will ever be a long term option. This has potential to be a very big issue.

-He’s hardly a revolutionary coach and mainly relied on dragging teams down to the Sharks level through the wrestle and spoiling tactics.

-His one premiership had a lot of luck behind the assembly of the roster with the perfect players becoming available at the right time. There’s also a salary cap cloud hanging over it. Lighting hasn’t come close to striking twice for him before or after.

-Then there’s a whole ASADA debacle and his suspension. It’s low hanging fruit to pick apart Flanagan for this but he still carries baggage from it. The other 5 points directly relate to what impact (or lack of) he could have at the Dogs.
He took a club that was a basketcase at the time, spooners and underachievers for years, and got them a premiership.
His recruiting was very astute.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anyone know if ciraldo works mainly on attack or defense for the panthers more?

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d say Flanagan, but not with any real confidence.

On the looks of who is available he is clearly ahead. Mind you, in fairness I don’t know enough about Wolfe or Wane. With Ciraldo I’d be scared after the Barrett experiment, that said, Fitzy is going well with the Sharks.

I’d have concerns though about

- Kyle just being a guarantee starter. Whilst I’d rather chase a gun fullback and give Kyle an extended run, doesn’t mean it’s going to work. That said though, maybe Shane can get the best out of his game?
- isn’t the best at salary cap crunching… but Gould has an eye on that also
- his links with the ASADA issues aren’t great…

I’d be happy if he came with Ennis. I’d also be happy to keep club guys like Mason and co around, I think that’s important. He’d want to bring a great fitness guy with him though.
As said though, not much else out there.

Last edited:

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I think it will be Flanagan, Gus is just waiting to see if Jr can be serviceable as the 7. Because who are we kidding if we sign Sn junior is getting an extension. 100 percent it will be a 2 for 1.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You know, what has he really done so bad?
A. He emailed a player when banned? Big *expletive* whoop.
B. Peptides.
I know that’s a big deal for some, but cmon. It’s not like players would be strung out of their head. Needles all over the change rooms and tourniquets ties to players arms as they are slumped in a chair dribbling.
All he did was have the (smart) initiative to invest in a sports scientist to gain an edge through fitness and optimum performance and he placed his faith in a sports doctor taht ti this day, believes he didn’t break any laws.
Peptides are not drugs. They facilitate cell growth. It’s a grey area, much greyer then than now.
Flanno ain’t Stephen Dank and Dank didn’t even think he was doing anything wrong and I don’t think he did either when looking at the laws at the time.

The only true negative at the time was It potentially aggravated Jonny Manna’s cancer death. A Lebanese player who died and who I was friends with in real life.
Peptides not drugs ? Glad you ain’t a doctor you fucking flipperhead

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ciraldo is another Baz situation.. how do we know he’s not gonna flop
Because trent barret failed at other clubs miserably with good squads, ciraldo steered a coachless team in round 4 2018 into a top 5 finish. Not exactly another baz situation.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really liking the idea of Ennis as head coach with Gus there as a mentor.

Both guys that will not accept mediocrity.
I love the idea of Ennis involvement with the club. I think his footy brain is a good one. I don’t think we can go with a rookie coach next time around as our head coach however.

Unfortunately he is already also working as an assistant at Parra. So he isn’t going to come over to a basket case also as an assistant. He is also earning to good a wage at fox to be put himself in the coaching hot seat.

I think Flanagan is the only real option. As much as he comes with some baggage. He is the hard nose coach we need to escape the mediocrity. If he came along with Ennis & someone like Marc Brentnall as assistant coaches. With a good Strength and conditioning coach. With the squad we are building. We could turn things around quickly.

I think Barrett is just way out of his depth as a head coach. He is a coach from a text book. You need to work with the players skill set that you have to work with.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
A coach who has won a premiership doesn’t guarantee success. Look at paul green and michael Maguire. Having said that Shane Flanagan first choice and someone like Mick Ennis as assistant.