The Coach to Build a Dynasty

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neil Henry anyone.
My choice.
Yes this.
I'd personally sack Barrett after round 10, ask John Morris to come in and become caretaker for rest of season with an open view for consideration in '23.

We can then see how he goes and then take the best of whichever coach provides the best 3 and 5 year plan.

I like Henry. He is still in the game in assistant role for QLD (i think) so while it might seem he hasn't been around the game, he has

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd take Ciraldo.

He's done a legitimate apprentiship at a strong club with a strong focus on junior development. The Dogs want to become a development club and Cam has vast experience developing players in the lower grades. There won't be any issue working with Gus and he already has a relationship there from working together at the Panthers.

I know people will be against appointing a rookie but it's not an issue for me. An experienced coach is just as much chance of failing as a rookie.

How's Hook working out at the Dragons? He's experienced and its a disaster.
No to Ciraldo, Penrith players make coaches and staff look better than what they really are.
Ive been around junior footy along time now.
As for wanting to be a development club for juniors anyone or any club can say that.
I know for a fact that Penrith and Parramatta juniors are on average fitter stronger and better players.
Alot i have seen at other clubs including Bulldogs in junior reps that are fat and unfit putting it nicely.
Ciraldo doesn't have that foundation problem where he is at.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No to Ciraldo, Penrith players make coaches and staff look better than what they really are.
As for wanting to be a development club for juniors anyone or any club can say that.
I know for a fact that Penrith and Parramatta juniors are on average fitter stronger and better players.
Alot i have seen at other clubs including Bulldogs in junior reps that are fat and unfit putting it nicely.
We aren’t going to agree on this at all. I believe he does you don’t good luck to you

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. It would make 3 unproven nrl coaches in a row. We need someone who have shown they can succeed at NRL level.

Who that is I don’t know. I seriously doubt it will be Flanagan. I said previously if they move Baz on I think Gus will go with Paul Green. They have history at the roosters and he is proven at NRL level. He went stale at the cowboys with his intense style but we need a hard nose coach who makes the players accountable.

Just a guess though.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People need to give up on Shane Flanno. Gus has made so many digs at fox panel for trying to rubbish Baz to get their mate a job. He hates fox sports. He won’t hire him just out of spite.

Gus sees more than we do about Baz. He would know if it’s a coach issue or a player issue. If we genuinely believe that Baz is coaching a style too hard for the players we have then that shows we have a player issue. You don’t win comps by coaching to the squad you have. You will be lucky to finish mid field if you use that mentality.

I actually believe Baz coaches to the modern game style. Hence why we bought Reed and Kikau. Both two important players in the fast pace game of today. Someone else said it already but Asiata was 100% the ball playing lock in this years plan. Baz had to come up with a makeshift solution when he left. I am sure they are looking for the next solution to fill that role. No way did they plan to use Jackson this way. TPJ would have been the smartest solution though. He has all the attributes needed.

Kiraz and Casey and toia will likely get runs after round 10. That gives us an idea of where we are at next year. We are just missing some young forwards to come through next year. I believe we have filled our portion of bought players. We need to focus on transitioning young guys up now. This seems to be Gould’s focus.

I actually think we are on the right track. Our run gets a lot easier over the next 4 weeks. If we can get an upset against the roosters we could gain some real confidence and grab some wins in the next few weeks.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take Ciraldo.

He's done a legitimate apprentiship at a strong club with a strong focus on junior development. The Dogs want to become a development club and Cam has vast experience developing players in the lower grades. There won't be any issue working with Gus and he already has a relationship there from working together at the Panthers.

I know people will be against appointing a rookie but it's not an issue for me. An experienced coach is just as much chance of failing as a rookie.

How's Hook working out at the Dragons? He's experienced and its a disaster.
Won’t happen!
Ciraldo hasn’t spoken to Gus since he left the Panthers……& won’t!
Our next coach won’t be rookie

Reaction score
That’s irrelevant, Gould took the job at the Warriors and 6 months later jumped ship for us. Wane has proven himself time and again to be an excellent coach of Rugby league and his highly regarded by many.

The NRL is a different beast? Many successful coaches in our game have cut their teeth over there. I have no doubt he would be up for the challenge and he would attract some top talent.

I just hope they same stupidlity isnt used again and we hire another “potential” coach, or worst still another Barrett who doesn’t even have a proven track record.

Green hasn't been snapped up by another club for a reason, Ciraldo hasn’t had the head job anywhere and all the Guns are locked in to other clubs.

That leaves us with either Flanagan or someone outside Australia. I swore black and blue that I never wanted to see Flanagan our doorstep, but that was before the Trentwreck.
LOL @ the trentwreck

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. It would make 3 unproven nrl coaches in a row. We need someone who have shown they can succeed at NRL level.

Who that is I don’t know. I seriously doubt it will be Flanagan. I said previously if they move Baz on I think Gus will go with Paul Green. They have history at the roosters and he is proven at NRL level. He went stale at the cowboys with his intense style but we need a hard nose coach who makes the players accountable.

Just a guess though.
I think it will either be a unproven coach or someone from left field that no one saw coming. Gus isn’t going to bring in someone that will step on his toes and that he can control to some extent. If you think that’s a good or bad thing is a whole another debate.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Is Fred still at the club?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will either be a unproven coach or someone from left field that no one saw coming. Gus isn’t going to bring in someone that will step on his toes and that he can control to some extent. If you think that’s a good or bad thing is a whole another debate.
That’s why I said Paul Geeen. Gus coached him at the roosters and they have a relationship.

I am hoping we start winning though and can talk about stuff other than new coaches

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s why I said Paul Geeen. Gus coached him at the roosters and they have a relationship.

I am hoping we start winning though and can talk about stuff other than new coaches
Imagine a place when there is no more coach talk, no more talk of early releases due to over priced deals and actually winning…..maybe one day :tearsofjoy:

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Absolutely. It's a sad state of affairs when all we talk about is getting a new coach

Unfortunately that's where we are as a club....again

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Jason Ryles, 100% win rate in the NRL.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So your coach suggestion is?

No one loves SF.

But who else, is experienced (and has runs on the board) enough and can take the heat of turning this rabble around, is out there?
No my suggestion is that people thinking Shane Flanagan is the answer to all our problems may be in for a rude shock. A great coach gets consistent results (Bellamy) and Flanagan at the moment is a one season wonder. We’ve seen too many times before a coach win a single premiership and then disappear into the wilderness.. Paul Green? Michael Maguire?