• AFL SUCKS :p

Votes: 19 22.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
I'm a girl, yet this game bores me to death.
i meant that it's a sport played by a bunch of skirts... real men would go through a period of extra time to decide a winner! lol

hodaa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i meant that it's a sport played by a bunch of skirts... real men would go through a period of extra time to decide a winner! lol
Yeah I realised after I said it :P

Now I feel like an idiot lol

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
the last drawn afl final was 77 as to nrl final, a sign a sign i tell you, but the pies chocked if they had of been more accurate they would of had the gam by the end of the 3rd quarter

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Pathetic really

Someone like Michael Gardner is most likely going to miss the replay as he injured his hamstring yesterday, if the rules were sorted out years ago, this would not have happened.

And tickets will be on sale again tomorrow

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Makes you feel sorry for those supporters that probably bought tickets a year in advance, got someone to look after the kiddies etc, only for this to happen. I would be fuming.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
its funny how channel 7 acted all upset about the rule

if channel 7 had their way they would have 20 grand final replays back to back

the 7 executives are so angry that sydney weekender or the saturday afternoon movie wont be shown now

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That fat fck Andrew Desmeitrousima****ous was pretty smug with the rule, i reckon he wants it to stay

Btw im confused, the Sydney 2005 GF went into injury time?

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
That fat fck Andrew Desmeitrousima****ous was pretty smug with the rule, i reckon he wants it to stay

Btw im confused, the Sydney 2005 GF went into injury time?
Nah dude

It's bloody confusing sometimes as Fox Sports and Seven display actual time remaining whereas Channel 10's time includes the stoppages e.g. boundary throw ins, bounces, etc

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Tonight 8.30

Australian Rules Football gets prime time coverage for the first time on ABC1 when the Indigenous All Stars tackle the Richmond Tigers live (AEDT) from Darwin.

This unique cultural and sporting event pitches the nation's best Indigenous Australian Rules footballers up against AFL team, the Richmond Tigers, under lights at Darwin's Marara Oval.

ABC TV's coverage will include commentary by ABC Grandstand's Charlie King and Gerard Whateley, with special analysis from former Indigenous AFL stars Michael Long and Michael McLean.

The Indigenous All Stars will be captained by Sydney Swans co-captain Adam Goodes, while his former team-mate, Michael O'Loughlin, will coach the Indigenous side. The All Stars team will include the prodigious Indigenous talent of high-profile AFL players Cyril Rioli, Buddy Franklin and Liam Jarrah.

The half-time break will include a special report on the involvement of AFL players and coaches in health and education programs and the positive effects sport is having on remote Indigenous communities.

The Indigenous All Stars vs Richmond Tigers game complements ABC TV's coverage of the Tiwi Island Grand Final played in March each year and provides another opportunity for a national audience to see the best Indigenous sporting talent.

Prior to ABC TV's historic broadcast of the All Stars match against Richmond, ABC1 will screen the feature length documentary - Three Boys Dreaming - on Tuesday, February 1 at 8.30pm. Three Boys Dreaming follows three Indigenous boys chasing their dream of becoming a professional AFL footballer.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1... AFL: Indigenous All Stars Vs Richmond Tigers

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Swans hitch their 'wagen to a star

Todd Balym From: The Daily Telegraph February 05, 2011 12:00AM

THE Sydney Swans now have the richest uniform in Australian sport.

Their Bloods colours are valued in the millions after landing a new third major partner catapulting the sponsorship value of the club's branded uniforms beyond any other sporting team.

The Daily Telegraph can exclusively reveal the Swans have secured a four-year deal with Volkswagen Group of Australia valued in excess of $1 million per season.

Sydney's uniform is now valued higher than reigning AFL premiers and sporting giants Collingwood, while it dwarfs the commercial success of NRL clubs with few rugby league sides capable of attracting one sponsor worth seven figures whereas the Swans can now boast three.

Volkswagen will be branded on the players' shorts and coach John Longmire's shirt, while principal partner QBE and major partner Citi retain their long-held positions as sponsors on the front and back of the jumpers.

"It's fantastic news for us," Swans CEO Andrew Ireland said. "Our brand is a strong brand. Obviously we play in a national competition but being based in Sydney I think gives us a real opportunity.

"It's a credit to the club over a period of time to be seen as a good brand to be associated with.

"It's significant for us to have three international, big companies associated in those areas. QBE is now in its 25th year and Citi has been with us since 2005.

"[Corporate support] can't guarantee a result but it certainly underpins a real opportunity to go forward for us."

The branding of Longmire is a significant show of faith in the rookie coach who is burdened with the task of continuing predecessor Paul Roos's strong corporate and competitive success.

Longmire welcomed the support and was pleased the major partners were also committed to the club's other projects including the Swans Academy plus community and environment programs.

"They're involved from the top in regards to the senior team right through to our community programs and environmental program," he said. "They have significant involvement right across the whole breadth of the football club."

This is the European company's first foray into Australian sport.

They're heavily involved in European soccer, notably German giants Werder Bremen and Indian cricket, while Volkswagen's subsidiary company Skoda recently agreed to be naming rights sponsor of AFL newcomers Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Managing director Anke Koeckler said the company looked at all sports, but chose AFL due to the sport's "dynamic" appeal and parochial national support.

But it was witnessing Sydney's defeat of Essendon on a sloppy SCG last year that clinched the decision to support the red and whites, not because lightning quick forward Lewis Jetta carries a surname of one of their popular motor vehicles.

"I think the criteria and the values of the Sydney Swans fit pretty well to our values at Volkswagen," Koeckler said.

"The AFL provides us with a great opportunity to share in Australian sporting passion because so far we didn't have an opportunity to be in a major sport. We were looking at some [NRL] teams but for the time being they were taken.

"To be honest I thought with AFL and especially with Sydney Swans this is so good that we haven't been looking at other alternatives any more."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-wagen-to-a-star/story-e6frexwr-1226000443582

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Canterbury great Chris Mortimer's son Ned Mortimer signed by GWS

Todd Balym From: The Daily Telegraph February 12, 2011 12:00AM

GREATER Western Sydney have again signed one of the biggest names in rugby league, but this is not another AFL publicity stint.

Ned Mortimer, the son of former NSW and Test champion Chris Mortimer, has turned his back on league to pursue an AFL dream with the Giants through their development academy.

Mortimer, the 20-year-old cousin of Parramatta star Daniel Mortimer, turned to league after his dreams of impressing for the AFL draft were ruined three years ago when a knee injury ruled him out of the under-18 carnival with the NSW Rams.

He spent two years playing Group Nine league, but is back in the AFL fold as a member of the GWS Academy and will be a mature-age top-up player for the Giants in this year's North Eastern league.

It is not an AFL contract, but the potential is certainly there if he impresses coach Kevin Sheedy enough in 2011.

"It'll be interesting, I'm not sure how I will go. I'm just excited to be playing AFL again," Mortimer said.

"I love rugby league. If I could I'd be playing both sports but the opportunity to play under the coach at Collingullie Kapooka and against some mates from Wagga just proved too much.

"My family is really supportive of me."

While many will scoff at the Mortimer deal as another publicity stunt, like Folau's $3.6 million defection, it must be said he was one of the best young kids in NSW AFL prior to his knee injury.

At 190cm and 92kg he will be used as a mature-age and bigger bodied utility to help the pre-listed teenagers at the Giants throughout the year starting today against an ACT under-23 side at Ainslie Oval.

Mortimer is the first of more than 200 Academy members GWS will select throughout their zoned regions in the coming months in the hope to produce local AFL stars. The development program is GWS's answer to the Swans academy and is seen by the AFL as the code's biggest threat to rugby league.

The two AFL clubs are attacking the talent which has normally pursued league or other sports.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...er-signed-by-gws/story-e6frexx0-1226004692054

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Troubled Fev falls from the pride

Andrew Hamilton From: The Courier-Mail February 20, 2011 8:42PM

THE Brisbane Lions have sacked troubled star Brendan Fevola.

The club said in a statement on Sunday night that Fevola’s contract had been terminated.

It said: “The decision to terminate Brendan’s contract was reached by the Board of the Lions at a special meeting conducted this afternoon, having taken into account the views of the Club’s administration and football departments, as well as the need to protect and uphold the culture and reputation of the Club.

“The grounds for termination were that Brendan had engaged in serious or willful misconduct through persistent breaches of his obligations as a player to the Club.

“The Club has therefore lost confidence in his ability to meet his obligations as a player due to these persistent breaches.

“The timing of this decision was based on medical advice. Brendan was informed of the decision this evening

“While the club has no legal obligation to do so, it has advised Brendan that it will provide financial support to him, to enable him to continue to receive the necessary assistance with his financial situation and prepare him for his future life.’’
However, Fevola's management company Velocity Sports also issued a statement on Sunday night protesting the decision, saying they ``did not accept the decision as a legal termination''.

``Brendan accepts that he has let his club and his teammates down but is committed to making amends,'' said Alastair Lynch, general manager of Velocity Sports.

``He has always felt that the first step in making things right was his commitment to an extensive rehabilitation program to combat his battle with depression.

``He has stayed 51 days in a voluntary rehabilitation clinic and had reached the stage where he felt the next step was to return to football.

``He was fully prepared to return to the club under whatever conditions the club chose to impose.''

The Lions and Velocity Sports will meet tomorrow to thrash out the details of a payout.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/fev-takes-a-fall-from-the-pride/story-e6frep5o-1226009080813

Status
Not open for further replies.