The Aerosexual Thread

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have to confess that one of my all time favourite planes was the Albatros DIII. It was also the plane that Richtofen made most of his "kills" with, and the first he painted all red.
Ernst Udet flew one, as did Herman Goering.
Albatros DIII.jpg

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Back then the Chrysler would’ve been one of the tallest. Still looks great, I took these in NY in 2018:
View attachment 38369View attachment 38370
Great shots. Love the gargoyles and mascots that adorn it. It was the tallest, until the Empire State Building went up.
Now there are many around the world that leave these giants in their shade.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Great shots. Love the gargoyles and mascots that adorn it. It was the tallest, until the Empire State Building went up.
Now there are many around the world that leave these giants in their shade.
Agree the gargoyles are great - similar to Notre Dame in Paris. Alas many of the super talls now do not have the grace of the Chrysler or Empire State.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree the gargoyles are great - similar to Notre Dame in Paris. Alas many of the super talls now do not have the grace of the Chrysler or Empire State.
The precise purpose of gargoyles was to act as a spout to convey water from the upper part of a building or roof gutter and away from the side of walls or foundations, thereby helping to prevent water from causing damage to masonry and mortar
See i never knew that until now and gots a thinking about gargoyles

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The precise purpose of gargoyles was to act as a spout to convey water from the upper part of a building or roof gutter and away from the side of walls or foundations, thereby helping to prevent water from causing damage to masonry and mortar
See i never knew that until now and gots a thinking about gargoyles
They still do their work on some of the great Cathedrals, but are only decorative on the Chrysler Building.

I've been up close to gargoyles on Canterbury, Notre Dame, Rheims, and Ulm cathedrals. One of the attendants took me up into the roof space of Canterbury, where I could see the top side of the vaulting, and the access holes where people were lowered through in wicker baskets to paint the ceilings, some 100 feet above the cathedral floor. Stood next to the great bell at Ulm when it chimed - louder than any rock concert I've been to.
No wonder Quasimodo was deaf.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
They still do their work on some of the great Cathedrals, but are only decorative on the Chrysler Building.

I've been up close to gargoyles on Canterbury, Notre Dame, Rheims, and Ulm cathedrals. One of the attendants took me up into the roof space of Canterbury, where I could see the top side of the vaulting, and the access holes where people were lowered through in wicker baskets to paint the ceilings, some 100 feet above the cathedral floor. Stood next to the great bell at Ulm when it chimed - louder than any rock concert I've been to.
No wonder Quasimodo was deaf.
This all qualifies for the Aerosexual thread.
Gargoyles could glide and being lowered in wicker baskets is descending :-).