Official Team List Round 22 v Warriors + Match Discussion

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
how bad was burton tonight? he killed us in the first half, we were on. the left side was putrid in attack.
Poor RFM and Vaughn carried the team tonight
Kennel wants to attack Averillo who went down with a bad knee injury but played on, still scored but no one dares to mention Burton’s horrible attitude and effort tonight.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Kennel wants to attack Averillo who went down with a bad knee injury but played on, still scored but no one dares to mention Burton’s horrible attitude and effort tonight.
what about when burton turned his back on defence on our line and egan almost scored. that was fuckn disgraceful

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
what about when burton turned his back on defence on our line and egan almost scored. that was fuckn disgraceful
Looked so disinterested and was lazy. Poor kicking decisions and never looked like he wanted to play tonight. Lets continue to shit on our fill in fullback because the one we bought was so shit…

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a couple of props or we could repeat this season
It will be interesting what happens with Thompson for next year as it's his last year of his contract with us but feel he's being shopped around seeing that he's on 800K a season.

TPJ needs to get fit and healthy for next season as he's been a major disappointment so far, even allowing for his injury early in the season.

We've got Sutton coming from Canberra and rumours are that Haas could be the one to fill the void for Thompson but not entirely sold on that either.

I'm trusting Gus to get it right and we at least make the 8 next season before pushing top 4 in 24 and the flag in '25 our 90th Anniversary in the competition.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Looked so disinterested and was lazy. Poor kicking decisions and never looked like he wanted to play tonight. Lets continue to shit on our fill in fullback because the one we bought was so shit…
Kiraz missed as many kicks dont see anyone bagging him?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole team played poorly and as I previously mentioned I couldn't believe we'd send a home game away to Queensland 5 days out from having to play the Warriors in Auckland and only arrive there at 1am Tuesday morning and only had the one captains run before the game.

Is it any wonder they were crap tonight and it really showed late as they were spent and the Warriors ran away with it in the end.

Blood a few more from Reserves in our remaining games as our season is effectively over.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A few observations,
* Dalen's intercept try, Schoupp gave up after 5 metre & stilln70 metres out. Maybe he could not catch him but someone may have & he may have been needed to help defend. A very poor effort.
* Edwards on only his 2nd game, plays 70+ minutes. WTF.
* Kiraz & Schoupp darting inside to help defend on the wrong person. Terrible defensive reads, need to have faith that his inside teamates will do their jobs. ( whether justified or not)

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton was rubbish.
I agree Burton had a shocker, but there was way too many failures to single out an individual, the Warriors first four tries came as a result of our stupid mistakes and it cannot be denied the team seems to have suffered from the long travels and short turn around not to mention the number of players missing from the team especially the 4 props TPJ, Thompson, Hetherington and Suemanufagai, some might say they have been long unavailable and I do agree but at times like this they are missed, unfortunately Vaughan was the only effective forward subsequently our attack suffered made worse by the bench who were very average and ineffective at best.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree Burton had a shocker, but there was way too many failures to single out an individual, the Warriors first four tries came as a result of our stupid mistakes and it cannot be denied the team seems to have suffered from the long travels and short turn around not to mention the number of players missing from the team especially the 4 props TPJ, Thompson, Hetherington and Suemanufagai, some might say they have been long unavailable and I do agree but at times like this they are missed, unfortunately Vaughan was the only effective forward subsequently our attack suffered made worse by the bench who were very average and ineffective at best.
All of them apart from Vaughn should hang their heads in shame.

Pathetic display.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Now that I’ve calmed down all in all we did play piss poor and I’ll tell you exactly why. Earlier in the season during the Barret days we made similar errors first halves though the issue hasn’t been as prominent of late it’s certainly returned. Errors lead to defense, repeat sets, poor field position and most important at all exposes our substandard fitness. We’re unfit, we have the attacking quality to compete with Cowboys for 65 minutes and blow an eels side 34-4. When we’re making tackles galore early on as a result of errors we fall of due to our piss poor fitness we’ve had at the club for years. Bundaberg to NZ is inadequate to explain what we saw today, you can’t ignore it however 18-18 to 42-18 is purely fitness and piss poor discipline.

Inexperience is a major factor to, Burton may be a future superstar and doing some brilliant stuff for us but his young and will have games like this. Averillo had covid, clearly killed his momentum not to mention he doesn’t sync with the attack and has an issue under the high ball. Schoup is young and inconsistent and for for me needs an off-season, stubborn at times and doesn’t create for addo car. Vaughen showed experience, gets his job done runs hard and has game IQ. Next game Burton could kill slaughter pawwa, averillo could score two and schoup could assist JAC. It’s a rebuild and it will take time of course today was disappointing it’s a bumpy road will be highs and lows.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Did Barrett sneak into training this week? Got some real bad flashbacks last night.

That's now second game in a row we've had 40 put on us at Mt Smart. Thanks boys, now I'm looking like a fucking loser hungover to the shit still wearing my Doggies gear here in Auckland.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can cop losing and the banter from Wah fans but I can’t cop that bs effort

Any dogs fan here that accepts this mediocrity should check themselves
We need to stop talking up the ability of players who are only in fg because no one else is available - as hard as they try and the occasional good thing players like Harrison ZDC Topine Schoup Burns Tsrikiras, Casey Okunbor Allan Waddel Patolo etc have not shown that they are the type of players that would take a team to top 8, let alone top 4.

Acceptance of general mediocrity because of the occasional good play cant be the norm - top 30 contracts need to be earned.

Skelton in only three games has shown a lot of promise - keen to see him play on Sunday again

Guys like Hoffman Stuckey etc have been ok in Reggies but not demanding of selection.

2023 - desperately short of first grade ready, tough nut middles.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just didn’t have the size to worry the warriors.. someone here spoke about it before the game.. we need bench players that can physically impact a game just like the cowboys bench last week..
Agree, but as someone said earlier we had our 4 props out. TPJ, Thompson, Ava and Hetherington. That doesn’t help nor did the short turnaround of 5 days and only the one Captains run prior to the game. We did well to stay in the game as long as we did on that preparation and compounded by injuries.

Lack of fitness and Covid are a laugh as far as excuses go.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now that I’ve calmed down all in all we did play piss poor and I’ll tell you exactly why. Earlier in the season during the Barret days we made similar errors first halves though the issue hasn’t been as prominent of late it’s certainly returned. Errors lead to defense, repeat sets, poor field position and most important at all exposes our substandard fitness. We’re unfit, we have the attacking quality to compete with Cowboys for 65 minutes and blow an eels side 34-4. When we’re making tackles galore early on as a result of errors we fall of due to our piss poor fitness we’ve had at the club for years. Bundaberg to NZ is inadequate to explain what we saw today, you can’t ignore it however 18-18 to 42-18 is purely fitness and piss poor discipline.

Inexperience is a major factor to, Burton may be a future superstar and doing some brilliant stuff for us but his young and will have games like this. Averillo had covid, clearly killed his momentum not to mention he doesn’t sync with the attack and has an issue under the high ball. Schoup is young and inconsistent and for for me needs an off-season, stubborn at times and doesn’t create for addo car. Vaughen showed experience, gets his job done runs hard and has game IQ. Next game Burton could kill slaughter pawwa, averillo could score two and schoup could assist JAC. It’s a rebuild and it will take time of course today was disappointing it’s a bumpy road will be highs and lows.
I'm beginning to think that Schoupp is a selfish player; who won't share the ball with JAC because his ego won't allow JAC to outscore him. It is a cancer that will affect that pair when we need co-operation with all players. If Schoupp's head is too big; let him go.

The other thing, and it has been mentioned a few times in this thread, is that we lack size to match the monsters most other teams throw at us.
Look at the effect last week when the Cowboys brought on their huge bench players. Last night, the Warriors had it all over us is size and speed.

With the possession the Warriors enjoyed, and the constant defence from our inferior players, we were unable to hold them back. Once the score was outside any chance of a win, we just opened the floodgates and invited them to score as many points as time allowed. Did the same with the Cowboys, and the first half of this year. No pride.