Sydney life now what's it like ?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well to tell you the truth..I’d live in a hole in the ground..as long as my family is healthy and happy..

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol.. Hobbiton!

But seriously..how groovy would that be Southy..so hot above ground though..but still it’d me pretty awesome.. What do you think?
We all should live underground save on power more land would be awesome

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Sunshine Coast brother, fuck Sydney. I will move the first chance I get.
Queensland would be perfect if it wasn't hot and humid constantly. However you love Cancun so that's probably Australia's version of it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The answer to your question is "it depends".

Everywhere in Australia is getting fucked by apartments, urban sprawl, development, and as such heat saturation in areas is becoming a real thing.

Depends if you want to buy, or are happy to rent. Depends on your budget, and lifestyle, and also where you are working. Too many factors to give a clearly defined answer.

it's between Perth or Queensland. Sydney to expensive Melbourne to cold Adelaide fuck no Tasmania to many banjos Darwin didn't make the list.
Perth - I know of someone that works in the mines in middle of WA. 2 weeks on, 1 week off. In his week off he could have chosen to rent and live in Perth, but instead flies back to Sydney to live at his parents place.

Time difference can be a massive pain in the arse, likewise being 6 hours in a plane from other states. Very isolated state if you don't have family and friends there.

Queensland - highly depends on where abouts. Cyclones, crocs, rain and rain and rain and rain. Floods and storms galore.

Sydney - Depends what your expectations are. Yes there are shithole areas (like every state) and yes there are areas fucked by development and apartments. I love it here though. Beaches not too far (even from NW Sydney), National Parks and bushwalks in close proximity, and then there's a harbour like no other, and a CBD that isn't too bad to work around.

Traffic is fucked regardless what state you live in.

Remember that Sydney is the oldest CBD of any state, and hence other states learned from Sydney CBD's issues.

a house close to the beach that doesn't have a mortgage for more than 60 years
Unless you go regional, anywhere near the beach you are going to get reamed on pricing as "everyone wants to be there". Just remember though that living right on a beach isn't great for cars.

Sunshine Coast brother, fuck Sydney. I will move the first chance I get.
Don't get fooled by Qld's SC. Got close family friends that live up there. Property investment spruikers pushed areas like Peregian Springs, Bli Bli (etc etc) really hard.

As a result they've turned areas of Sunshine Coast into the same shitfest that the NSW Central Coast currently deals with (just with added massive storms).

You can go from highest socio ecomonic multi million dollar waterfront homes in Noosa/Noosa Heads, to lower socio economic government housing/cheap as hell rents in oversupplied investment properties, REAL FAST.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It's always been expensive, IMO. Median house price is 1.1 million.

Don't know what your budget is or where you plan on moving to Sydney but you're looking at at least 800K for house/land on a smallish block for that price in a new area.
Exactly what we got.

I don’t need a big backyard.
What for, no one ever goes outside and who wants to mow the lawn all the time?

We gave up living in the hottest part of Sydney with bullshit commute times etc.

Sydney is still good so long as you’re living in the right area.
I’d say if you’re moving back to Sydney, make sure you live near adequate public transportation and don’t always rely on a motor vehicle to commute.

They’ve let way too many people into Sydney in the last 15 years and it’s starting to show.

Worst part about most new immigrants they don’t leave the area to which they’ve been allocated!
So why don’t the government just set up refugee camps down south again?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sunshine Coast brother
I hated the Sunshine Coast.

Lived there from 2007 - 2012.

Though I did live around the Caloundra area.

I love the Gold Coast.

Robina area is a city within a city. Robina Railway line, it's own hospital. (Robina Hospital is fantastic), it's close to all shopping centres, Robina Town Centre, Pacific Fair etc.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I’d say if you’re moving back to Sydney, make sure you live near adequate public transportation and don’t always rely on a motor vehicle to commute.
I'd say other way around. Public transport can't get you to the best areas of Sydney (or places to explore in Sydney) all that easily. That said depends if you are one to explore, stay in one place, or just head to popular places.

They’ve let way too many people into Sydney in the last 15 years and it’s starting to show.
I don't think it's so much letting too many people in, but making areas too population dense. Add in bloody apartments everywhere, and they've choked areas.

But Sydneys outskirts there is still shitloads of land... even Marsden Park is largely undeveloped currently.

Worst part about most new immigrants they don’t leave the area to which they’ve been allocated!
Don't you mean that they leave the areas they've been allocated?

In other words "You must live in these postcodes", and they just fuck off back to Sydney at first chance?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd say other way around. Public transport can't get you to the best areas of Sydney (or places to explore in Sydney) all that easily. That said depends if you are one to explore, stay in one place, or just head to popular places.

I don't think it's so much letting too many people in, but making areas too population dense. Add in bloody apartments everywhere, and they've choked areas.

But Sydneys outskirts there is still shitloads of land... even Marsden Park is largely undeveloped currently.

Don't you mean that they leave the areas they've been allocated?

In other words "You must live in these postcodes", and they just fuck off back to Sydney at first chance?
In regards to public transportation.
Do you remember 1998/1999 in Sydney with public transportation?
Trust me public transport has improved dramatically.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I hated the Sunshine Coast.

Lived there from 2007 - 2012.

Though I did live around the Caloundra area.

I love the Gold Coast.

Robina area is a city within a city. Robina Railway line, it's own hospital. (Robina Hospital is fantastic), it's close to all shopping centres, Robina Town Centre, Pacific Fair etc.
Don't mind Robina now.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Queensland would be perfect if it wasn't hot and humid constantly. However you love Cancun so that's probably Australia's version of it.
Australia, and I, wish we had a version of Cancun.

Realistically, I'd set up base in Dallas, 3 hrs from Vegas and Cancun. Plus I can watch my teams play in professional run sports.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
In regards to public transportation.
Do you remember 1998/1999 in Sydney with public transportation?
Trust me public transport has improved dramatically.
I VERY rarely take public transport anywhere so I wouldn't know.

Last time I took public transport, probably would have been 20 years ago.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im actually on a bus now going to Rio my last new years in brasil :disrelieved:

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well I have been living in Sao paulo for almost 8 years now the population here is the same as the whole of Australia the only good thing is that it is cheap beer is 50 cents ciggaretes cost $2.00 and you can have fun when your out on the piss. you could buy a house here in a nice area for $300k I would probably of stayed but no more work.