Superstar Game Managing 7 - You Decide

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It’s a massive need for this year but I think Mahoney will ease the pressure massively in regards to game management. He seems to be in the Ennis and Cam Smith mould directing things from the ruck. JMK provides nothing in this regard and doesn’t give any direction at all.

We aren’t finding a solution to it this year and have to use the cards we are dealt and even next year there aren’t any stand out options but Mahoney and a more experienced Burton can do the job for mine.
Mahoney is the key for next year, he will direct from dummy half as you have said. The main advantage that Mahoney has over every half bar Grant is that he can fire a ball to a half that is sitting outside B or C defender, takes away the need to use the lock as a ball player. Parra hardly use the lock as a ball player because of the great service mahoney gives from the ruck.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The entire NRL World seems to be insisting that the Bulldogs need a Superstar Game Managing Number 7 to make them a genuine contender.

And although I agree, Superstar Game Managing 7's aren't growing on trees and time is required to grow a young half into this role if you cant buy one.

But the Bulldogs fans don't have anymore time - Everyone has run out of patients.

But from the media's point of view, they don't really care - "They Just Love Writing A Story, Especially it seems to bag the Bulldogs when they can.

Below you will find a list of all the current NRL players that have played positionally somewhere in the halves at least at one stage in the last few years.

You will see that some of these names are not genuine Game Managing 7's or even a genuine 7, but I have put them in their for the point of the exercise to show how hard it is right now for our club to find available exactly what we need.

- All NRL Based Halves Off Contract & Able To Negotiate Now For The 2023 Season (According To Zero Tackle)

Albert Kelly, Billy Walters, Matt Frawley, Sam Williams, Brandon Wakeham, Kieran Foran, Cooper Johns, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Kodi Nikorima, Ashley Taylor, Phoenix Crossland, Sean O'Sullivan, Jaeman Salmon, Anthony Milford, Lachlan Lam, Jock Madden

- All NRL Based Halves Off Contract & Available NTo Negotiate in November For The 2022 Season (According To Zero Tackle)

Brad Schneider, Jake Averillo, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Braydon Trindall, Paul Turner, Daly Cherry-Evans, Lachlan Croker, Cameron Munster, Shaun Johnson, Jake Clifford, Adam Clune, Scott Drinkwater, Jakob Arthur, Dylan Brown, Lachlan Ilias, Blake Taaffe, Cody Walker, Moses Mbye, Adam Keighran, Sam Walker, Luke Brooks, Adam Doueihi, Jackson Hastings,

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2023/

So its time to stop your whining and go out there to buy the one player out of all these names that can deliver exactly what it is that our club needs right now to fill that all important missing piece of the puzzle, Our Superstar Game Managing 7.

I'll share my thoughts on who we should consider a little later on.

Good Luck & Buy Well!!
Dont worry andout a superstar 7 we are still waiting for our Rockstar FB.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Probably some of your bravest work Marley. He’s had 3 games into a new team with half changes after 2. His sheer talent will overcome the obstacles as we go forward regardless of Barrett’s meddling.
Not blaming him but he's still playing like a nothing right now. This is why i always said it was ridiculous to be offering him some insane 800k contract before he even kicked a ball for us.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, now after letting that nightmare of today settle in - which off contract half would you buy to help turn this Titanic around???

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It’s a massive need for this year but I think Mahoney will ease the pressure massively in regards to game management. He seems to be in the Ennis and Cam Smith mould directing things from the ruck. JMK provides nothing in this regard and doesn’t give any direction at all.

We aren’t finding a solution to it this year and have to use the cards we are dealt and even next year there aren’t any stand out options but Mahoney and a more experienced Burton can do the job for mine.
Mentioned in another thread that he's been part of a settled spine for years. The instability around 7 and potentially 1, won't help Mahoney transition to our club. We need to decide who our 7 is going to be and keep them there all year. I am in the minority and still think Flanno is the best 7 at the club and believe he should be given another go before we look to the market

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not blaming him but he's still playing like a nothing right now. This is why i always said it was ridiculous to be offering him some insane 800k contract before he even kicked a ball for us.
I reckon the boy would make an excellent fullback myself. But we don't have the luxury of moving him there... Penrith could have and they would have been unstoppable.

He will become an out of form predictable version of Wighton with worse defence if our attack doesn't change

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I agree with what you've said but we shouldn't wait for Mahoney's arrival next year, Cook showed in 20 minutes trial that he can be the answer for this year at hooker and possibly unlock the quality in of one of our halves more than what JMK showed in three years, also it's a risk buying an unproven halfback but if we end up having to buy one he must be excellent controlling the team and free-up Burton to play his natural game...Stating the obvious ?
Most importantly it's essential to have an excellent halfback if we are to win the premiership.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mahoney is the key for next year, he will direct from dummy half as you have said. The main advantage that Mahoney has over every half bar Grant is that he can fire a ball to a half that is sitting outside B or C defender, takes away the need to use the lock as a ball player. Parra hardly use the lock as a ball player because of the great service mahoney gives from the ruck.
Mahoney has looked pretty good at identifying opponents weak spots in the few games I've watched him play. Will be good to see the ball heading to where it's useful more often than not. I'm not one of these people who think 9's need great running games. There's been plenty of great hookers that had no running games who simply saw more on the field than most others and I'm hoping that Mahoney provides us with that when he arrives.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mentioned in another thread that he's been part of a settled spine for years. The instability around 7 and potentially 1, won't help Mahoney transition to our club. We need to decide who our 7 is going to be and keep them there all year. I am in the minority and still think Flanno is the best 7 at the club and believe he should be given another go before we look to the market
Tbaz hates a settled spine so there’s no chance of that unfortunately. I’m sure Flanagan will get a chance at some point but it will probably only be for a few games before another knee jerk change.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree with what you've said but we shouldn't wait for Mahoney's arrival next year, Cook showed in 20 minutes trial that he can be the answer for this year at hooker and possibly unlock the quality in of one of our halves more than what JMK showed in three years, also it's a risk buying an unproven halfback but if we end up having to buy one he must be excellent controlling the team and free-up Burton to play his natural game...Stating the obvious ?
Most importantly it's essential to have an excellent halfback if we are to win the premiership.
JMK is one of the biggest issues but I wouldn’t be putting too much pressure on Cook to turn things around for us this year. I’m all for giving him a chance though.

A excellent half back is hard to find this is where you need a coach that can formulate a game plan to get the best out of what they have or being able to develop a half. Unfortunately it looks like we don’t have that.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK is one of the biggest issues but I wouldn’t be putting too much pressure on Cook to turn things around for us this year. I’m all for giving him a chance though.

A excellent half back is hard to find this is where you need a coach that can formulate a game plan to get the best out of what they have or being able to develop a half. Unfortunately it looks like we don’t have that.
Cook soon will be 23 years old, he needs to be given a chance now to prove himself and since we are desperate for a real hooker it is the right time, what have we got to lose ?
If he isn't ready then I doubt if he will ever be, when Mahoney arrives he will be lucky to get a game then.
As for an excellent halfback, I agree they are hard to find but don't loose hope some one is out there or maybe in the club waiting for the great rise once we get over the main hurdle (kooker) all the other pieces will fall in place.
We are left with one question...Will our coaching team be good enough to take us to where we belong ?
Interesting times Spoon, soon enough we will get our answers !!!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
could be worse, West Tigers are on the hook to pay Luke Brooks $1.1 million next seasons. That's got'a hurt!!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tbaz hates a settled spine so there’s no chance of that unfortunately. I’m sure Flanagan will get a chance at some point but it will probably only be for a few games before another knee jerk change.
I would be like Baz to play him against Panthers and South's and then drop him

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Cook soon will be 23 years old, he needs to be given a chance now to prove himself and since we are desperate for a real hooker it is the right time, what have we got to lose ?
If he isn't ready then I doubt if he will ever be, when Mahoney arrives he will be lucky to get a game then.
As for an excellent halfback, I agree they are hard to find but don't loose hope some one is out there or maybe in the club waiting for the great rise once we get over the main hurdle (kooker) all the other pieces will fall in place.
We are left with one question...Will our coaching team be good enough to take us to where we belong ?
Interesting times Spoon, soon enough we will get our answers !!!
ZDC is outplaying Cook in reserve grade..