Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Storm warning

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Since there is a mutual option on 2023 for Grant does that mean he can officially be spoken to on 1st November? Interesting, I would think that if Grant tells Melbourne that he isn’t exercising his side of the option now there is nothing stopping him openly negotiating with anyone/everyone on 1/11 since his contract then effectively ends at the end of next year.

It’s likely that the new SE Qld club (Dolphins) will enter the comp in 2023 and if I was Grant that is exactly what I would do. Tell Melbourne that I’m not exercising the option and a respectful time later declare myself open to offers. The Dolphins are going to be looking for big statement opening signing and, as a returning Qld local, Grant fits that to a T. They will have enough third party support (a lot of Brisbane based companies hate the Donkeys) to top up an $800k Cap contract to around $1m a season.

It’s not like Grant and his agent Col Davis are afraid of pushing Melbourne’s buttons, Grant’s loan to the Tigers being at their insistence. Plus they openly stated that if CSmith played on in 2021 Grant was going elsewhere. Unlike many it doesn’t seem like Melbourne has much power/attraction for Grant.

I have held and stated the opinion for some time that I thought out of BSmith and Grant that Grant was the one most likely to go elsewhere. Interesting month coming up.
I don't see Grant leaving at all and Smith will likely stay as well.. Grant is the most talented hooker in the comp but if he somehow did leave, I'd be reluctant to offer him the $1 million plus he'd be chasing with how often he's injured..

He only played 14 games last year and 13 games this year. For that kind of money, you can't have your best player miss 10 plus games a season.
Corrections first, he played 15 games out of 18 for the Tigers as he wasn't released by Melbourne for Rounds 1and 2. Hence he missed 3 games in 2020. He also coincidentally played 15 games this year.

Hamstrings seem to be his problem and he rushed back for SOO #1 too early this year, which is not exactly a good idea with hammy injuries. As many players have proved over decades, hamstrings can be strengthened and with appropriate recovery can be managed. I haven't seen anything else re-occurring injury wise that is an issue for him.

For the reasons in my previous post, I think Grant is the most likely to leave Melbourne, he has shown in many ways that he is not attached in the same way BSmith is. With the new team in SE Qld being the most likely destination, due to his connections, the money that they can offer him and their need to make an early, big splash in the player market and he is about as big as it gets for them.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Corrections first, he played 15 games out of 18 for the Tigers as he wasn't released by Melbourne for Rounds 1and 2. Hence he missed 3 games in 2020. He also coincidentally played 15 games this year.

Hamstrings seem to be his problem and he rushed back for SOO #1 too early this year, which is not exactly a good idea with hammy injuries. As many players have proved over decades, hamstrings can be strengthened and with appropriate recovery can be managed. I haven't seen anything else re-occurring injury wise that is an issue for him.

For the reasons in my previous post, I think Grant is the most likely to leave Melbourne, he has shown in many ways that he is not attached in the same way BSmith is. With the new team in SE Qld being the most likely destination, due to his connections, the money that they can offer him and their need to make an early, big splash in the player market and he is about as big as it gets for them.

Always a Bulldog
Has he spoken to Wayne? :grinning:

Diatribe 2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We signed two young hookers and Gus has spoken ad nauseum about starting to build from within
We won’t be looking at these two, even though they both do good footy playing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
He had a meniscus injury in August 2020 which required surgery.. He also had an MCL injury which forced him to miss the start of the 2021 season and then the recurring hamstrings problems throughout the rest of this year. So it's not just his hammys that have been an issue, but knee injuries as well.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Was always going to be a massive test to see what happens after the last of those great players finished up. Obviously Smith was the "glue" and tbh Munster comes across to me as just a very talented Pub footy player. Get's by on talent but the call of the party is too loud in his head. Munster is not the guy to lead by example in that team, Finucane is ageing so they could be in strife unless they move Munster on and hope that Pappen can step up as the "professional". Just my outside looking in take on it. I think the Rorters are on the decline finally too.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was always going to be a massive test to see what happens after the last of those great players finished up. Obviously Smith was the "glue" and tbh Munster comes across to me as just a very talented Pub footy player. Get's by on talent but the call of the party is too loud in his head. Munster is not the guy to lead by example in that team, Finucane is ageing so they could be in strife unless they move Munster on and hope that Pappen can step up as the "professional". Just my outside looking in take on it. I think the Rorters are on the decline finally too.
Finucane is now at Cronulla.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tend to agree....although it's a little early for the call ...but both teams seem to be on the cusp of decline...whether they let that happen like we did, is another thing.

They have all the resources under the sun, and apparently very little NRL governance, so.....

Us on the other hand are rounding the corner and coming out of the tunnel :grinning:

Reactions: ATT

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
but both teams seem to be on the cusp of decline...
The Roosters nearly finished in the top 4 with all the retirements and injury’s in a terrible year for them and Nick is still breathing. And Melbourne won the minor premiership after winning the comp last year and equaled the most ever wins in a row..

on the cusp of decline..? :tearsofjoy:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The Roosters nearly finished in the top 4 with all the retirements and injury’s in a terrible year for them and Nick is still breathing. And Melbourne won the minor premiership after winning the comp last year and equaled the most ever wins in a row..

on the cusp of decline..? :tearsofjoy:
Yeah it seems far fetched for sure, yet that is the sense some feel and it is ok to post that on here. Also ok to say it's bs as you often do :grinning:

Reactions: ATT

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it seems far fetched for sure, yet that is the sense some feel and it is ok to post that on here. Also ok to say it's bs as you often do :grinning:
Only with relentless one view political crap Wendy. Football is different, where you seem to have a more open opinion..

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there anyone canterbury has not been linked with?!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Only with relentless one view political crap Wendy. Football is different, where you seem to have a more open opinion..
You never change tho :grinning:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Finucane is now at Cronulla.
Yeah cool, forgot that but kinda just reflecting upon the older successful brigade thinning out and perhaps being at a point of needing players to fill that void with leadership. Munster doesn't give me that impression of strong leadership at all and setting the example of what is expected as a minimum.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You never change tho :grinning:
No of course not, and I am not suggesting you should either. I just don’t have the devotion you and some have here for their preferred political agendas.

Before you tit for tat that comment, go and count the number of political comments, posts or threads I have made or contributed too compared to yourself..

I’m not looking to change others views, but I will be fucked if I will engage in crap like what is being written about Berejiklian.

Back to the footy.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah cool, forgot that but kinda just reflecting upon the older successful brigade thinning out and perhaps being at a point of needing players to fill that void with leadership. Munster doesn't give me that impression of strong leadership at all and setting the example of what is expected as a minimum.
I agree with the leadership bit mate as they have lost plenty in Cronk, Smith, Slater and now Dale. I think Christian Welsh is being groomed and they may dangle the leadership carrot at Grant and Smith to straighten a few up.

Bellamy will have a plan.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No of course not, and I am not suggesting you should either. I just don’t have the devotion you and some have here for their preferred political agendas.

Before you tit for tat that comment, go and count the number of political comments, posts or threads I have made or contributed too compared to yourself..

I’m not looking to change others views, but I will be fucked if I will engage in crap like what is being written about Berejiklian.

Back to the footy.
Oh Baz. Just block me matey. Best thing for you.

No one expects you to engage. I haven't posted anything much re personal opinion on Gladys. It's been others who have personally abused her on here, but as usual you find an easy out in zeroing in on my posts where I've posted on others takes on her upcoming ICAC hearing and the media's defense of her.

Save the outrage. You have your righty conservative views and I am the opposite. Just leave it at that ffs. Not replying further in this thread about our political views.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He had a meniscus injury in August 2020 which required surgery.. He also had an MCL injury which forced him to miss the start of the 2021 season and then the recurring hamstrings problems throughout the rest of this year. So it's not just his hammys that have been an issue, but knee injuries as well.
what I actually said:
I haven't seen anything else re-occurring injury wise that is an issue for him.
Always a Bulldog

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to land Grant at the Dogs.

But there is one big area of concern in my opinion at it has to do with his playing style.

He plays well above his weight and without any self preservation which has up until now probably seen him miss as many games as he has played.

I'd still take him in a heartbeat though as there is so much upside.