Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Storm warning

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
All is not well at Melbourne Storm – and we’re not just referring to the white powder video scandal involving Cameron Munster, Brandon Smith and Chris Lewis.

We’re getting mail that hooker Harry Grant is unsettled about his role this year as a bench forward behind Smith, despite the fact they are great mates.

Grant has two years left on his contract but wants a starting role. Smith won’t necessarily play at lock because Nelson Asofa-Solomona is eyeing off Dale Finucane’s old jersey. Watch this space.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can actually see the wheels slowly falling off the storm. Culture is important to a club, and when players don't respect their club and the culture its trying to build or maintain, it will piss their team mates, their coach and the suits off. This Harry Grant shit is just a smoke screen for other serious issues they have. Harry would be thinking he's a straighty and here is the cheese getting on the rack and starting ahead of me again next year. It's now Harry's time to agitate for a release while the cheese is in the bad books. Very clever play buddy lol. Its gonna piss the playing group off, especially the ones that secretly party with that group. Shit storm on its way fellas.. I can see Cam Smith coaching them and bellyache in that overseeing role where he still helps Smitty but is not full time involved. Hence why Smith opened his mouth to the papers about the boys getting caught and his disapproval of their behaviour.

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's becoming clear that Cam Smith was the glue that held that club together for so long.

The storm will never be the same without him.

Munster and Cheese wouldn't have had the balls to do what they did if Smith was still there.

Let's get Harry. Our next great QLD hooker after Jason Hetherington

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Weird thing is that until the PF against Penriff, everyone was going on about how the Strom have had their best season in yonks, with out C. Smith.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's becoming clear that Cam Smith was the glue that held that club together for so long.

Munster and Cheese wouldn't have had the balls to do what they did if Smith was still there.

Lol don't act like this type of thing didn't happen when Smith was there :tearsofjoy:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Come on. They've been doing it for ages, it's just that they got caught this time.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Storm are not releasing Harry Grant and Grant himself was on the record wanting Brandon Smith to remain in Melbourne

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’d love to get Grant to the club. He’ll he 10x the player the cheezel is.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Grant has a MO (mutual option) for 23 and I'd assume not being a starting 80 minute hooker won't have him take it up. I really can't see both Smith and Grant at the Storm long term.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant has a MO (mutual option) for 23 and I'd assume not being a starting 80 minute hooker won't have him take it up. I really can't see both Smith and Grant at the Storm long term.
We definitely need to make him an offer he can't refuse in November

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh... Phil Rothfield. Disregard that shite then.

Smith will play lock, Grant hooker, and NAS prop.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Oh... Phil Rothfield. Disregard that shite then.

Smith will play lock, Grant hooker, and NAS prop.
Smith has made it clear he wants to play hooker.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Smith has made it clear he wants to play hooker.
and earn 200k a year more minimum elsewhere to do so, that buys a lot of coke man....

@Ute we both know whathisface couldn't be "10 times the player Cheezel is" LOL and if your saying Gus wont pay X for Smith he certainly won't pay X+150 for Harry...
Interesting to see what happens in the next month or two with these guys do they sign elsewhere(or re-sign with the Storm)fairly early i.e pre the '22 season starting and play a year out at the Storm or fuck around for half the year seeking the best deal(s)..Grant would go to the Redcliffe Dolphins for 1.1m x 5 years wouldn't he? Smith maybe for 900k x 4?

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Since there is a mutual option on 2023 for Grant does that mean he can officially be spoken to on 1st November? Interesting, I would think that if Grant tells Melbourne that he isn’t exercising his side of the option now there is nothing stopping him openly negotiating with anyone/everyone on 1/11 since his contract then effectively ends at the end of next year.

It’s likely that the new SE Qld club (Dolphins) will enter the comp in 2023 and if I was Grant that is exactly what I would do. Tell Melbourne that I’m not exercising the option and a respectful time later declare myself open to offers. The Dolphins are going to be looking for big statement opening signing and, as a returning Qld local, Grant fits that to a T. They will have enough third party support (a lot of Brisbane based companies hate the Donkeys) to top up an $800k Cap contract to around $1m a season.

It’s not like Grant and his agent Col Davis are afraid of pushing Melbourne’s buttons, Grant’s loan to the Tigers being at their insistence. Plus they openly stated that if CSmith played on in 2021 Grant was going elsewhere. Unlike many it doesn’t seem like Melbourne has much power/attraction for Grant.

I have held and stated the opinion for some time that I thought out of BSmith and Grant that Grant was the one most likely to go elsewhere. Interesting month coming up.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't see Grant leaving at all and Smith will likely stay as well.. Grant is the most talented hooker in the comp but if he somehow did leave, I'd be reluctant to offer him the $1 million plus he'd be chasing with how often he's injured..

He only played 14 games last year and 13 games this year. For that kind of money, you can't have your best player miss 10 plus games a season..

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d love to get Grant, he is EXACTLY what we need, however, we ALL KNOW, on the very slight chance he leaves Storm, he’ll end up at a new QLD team as the marquee for nothing below 1.2 / year.