Steve Mortimer leaves Bulldogs as Des Hasler survives board meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Turvey kept the leagues club board position al least.
However I think this means season 2017 will be a write off?
Given the way the team performed the back end of this season and with no top quality signings I really can't see any success next season.
Also what is Hasler's motivation now?
He has to make top 4 to keep his job?
Personally I think he will have one eye on 2018 at another club as head coach.

Seriously he has made out like a bandit. What are we paying him $1m - $1.2m a season?
Wasn't he on like $350k - $450k at Manly.
And they got two premierships!!

Reactions: DT

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

On the way out: Steve Mortimer. Photo: Steve Christo
Des Hasler has survived to coach Canterbury in 2017, with club legend Steve Mortimer instead the casualty at the emergency board meeting called to resolve the club's future.

Mortimer has resigned from his post as a director after breaching the club's code of conduct in his public criticism of Hasler.
Mortimer told Fairfax Media that the club was "losing our DNA" under Hasler, raising speculation that the two-time premiership-winning coach could be on his way out of Belmore.

Instead, Mortimer handed in his resignation at the board meeting at ANZ Stadium, while the remaining directors resolved to allow Hasler to see out the final year of his contract.

No time to chat: Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler arrives at ANZ Stadium. Photo: Sarah Keayes.
Mortimer, one of the club's favourite sons, will remain a director of the leagues club but fell on his sword following his public commentary.

"What I said to you … it breached the code of conduct," Mortimer told Fairfax Media.

"So I said, that being the case, I'm going to resign.

"I'm not angry at anyone, I'm probably angry at myself. I'm too bloody honest and share too much."

Mortimer and Hasler come face to face during the tense meeting, with the former adamant there were no hard feelings.

"We shook hands, not a problem," Mortimer said.

"2017 will be Des Hasler's year and then it's up to them to make a decision on them as to his future. That's not my worry now."

While the long-term future of Hasler remains undecided, the meeting - dubbed the most important in the club's history - ensures he will be at the helm next year.

Hasler left the 4pm meeting after 20 minutes, leaving the board to deliberate.

Hasler arrived to a media scrum at about 2.30pm, before mouthing an expletive at the boom gate, and hurriedly reversing away from the waiting cameras.

He returned to the same entrance about 10 minutes later with the boom gate opened, and sped past the throng without lowering his window for a comment.

The Canterbury board met with Hasler this afternoon to discuss if he should see out the final year of his contract, or be moved on.

The former Manly coach has taken the club to two grand finals in five years, and has never missed the top eight, but questions have been raised since a disappointing finish to this season over as to whether he fits in with the club's culture.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eting-20161014-gs2p7c.html?platform=hootsuite
Reading between the lines, the meeting was never really about what would happen to Des as his destiny had already been decided (Dib said as much in the media); it was about what was happening to Turvey. People may say he backed himself into a corner, maybe he did, but to me he showed that he has more integrity and love for this club in his little finger than all the others combined. He put it out there, I rather think, knowing what the exact result of the meeting would be and maybe he planned it this way. He could no longer stand by and allow our great club to be made a laughing stock of and fell on his sword accordingly but not before letting everyone know what his thoughts on the direction of our club was. Be honest, how many of the fans of the club would have been thinking the same things.

That poses the question; Do we even have that Bulldog identity anymore?

So now we are either going to be stuck with another year of second rate football or Hasler will pull his head out of his ass and get the team playing some good footy. Heaven's knows how this will affect the players and what their response will be; obviously as in the case of Turvey if they don't toe the line they know what will happen.

What players will want to come to the club now with our future so unclear and the stench of in fighting and discontent. We have missed the boat it seems from reports in relation to many players over the last few years; how many more will baulk at our offers.

The one thing that may be a sticking point for Hasler and cause further friction will be the fact that he no longer has his 'hand picked' mates at the club; no Cleal, no Kearney, no Novak . We will have to replace them and hope that our coach gives his approval or we will have no cohesion, no team work.

The very last line of that article says it all; he has never really fit in with our culture and after 5 years it is a wee bit late to start to try.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So let me get this right , we have resolved Haslers coaching and recruitment under achievements by showing the door to Mortimer?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just got a text message from my sister in law, also a season ticket holder of many, many years.

DOES ANYONE REALISE THAT TODAY IS ALSO THE VERY LAST DAY TO OPT OUT OF AUTO MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL?

That would be just about right, do the deed after close of business on a Friday evening.

How many hits will now happen on the " Register you interest for 2017" on the club website for them to contact prospective members for next year? Maybe not as many as they think and I wonder how many phone calls they will get on 1300769164 'Where here to help.'

Last edited:

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While league clubs now claim they're corporations, the football teams are supported by fan and not investors. It's us fans with our humble incomes who with our attendances, memberships and purchases of merchandise keep a club viable as an entity.
Perhaps Turvey broke protocol as a board member by speaking from the heart to the media before the meeting. Wasn't long ago there was a thread that the silence is deafening from the board. Well he was proactive and made the noise on our behalf. Good on you Turvey. Wish you where on my employers board.
Let some of us vilify him and enjoy another year of the same old.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So let me get this right , we have resolved Haslers coaching and recruitment under achievements by showing the door to Mortimer?
Umm, it would appear so. Our board operates in a very mysterious way at times.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ffs at least fuk raelene castle off.
What a fkn gutless board.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a sad day for the club. Out of all the Bulldogs Legends, my love for Turvey has never wavered since I watched my first Bulldogs game. Turvey personifies the Bulldogs like nobody else, past and present. His passion for the club is unparalleled, and this ultimately cost him his position on the board.

Today is the day that the last brick in the house that Peter Moore built, has been felled. RIP my beloved club.

Reactions: GDR

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
<3 Turvs. Hope he runs again in place of Ray Dibs.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We see this over an over again. How many coaches have made their position untenable and actually kept their job at that same club for a successful and long period? None.

We're now in a position where we're paying a coach more than $1m a season and know he's not sticking around past next season. Why bother keeping him on? Even if he does pull a rabbit out of the hat and wins us a Premiership, we're even more fucked because he's going anyway.

There was never going to be a good result out of today. We're royally fucked for at least another 12 months.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mortimer had to go. He was way out of line with his comments. To undermine the head coach and expect them to go win you a premiership?

What sort of bulldog culture is it to try and eat others within? Mortimer was the cancer and I'm glad he's got the heave ho. Terry lamb pull your head in or we should ban him from the club too.

Des Hasler has not ever publicly undermined the club or anyone within. (Voldemorts deserve it) Win or loss he has integrity

It's 2016 people not 1985.

Oldsage

Oldsage
Reaction score
WE LOVE YOU TURVEY.
DON'T GO TOO FAR :cry:
I have been supporting the Dogs/Berries for 60 years so there is no way that's going to change. I can however express my disappointment on todays outcome we have lost a club legend from the board, will that fix the problems that surfaced this season? I have always said in order to grow & improve going forward the Club must embrace & treasure the players of the past I cannot recall Ray Dib ever cutting the opposition to pieces to set up another Bulldogs win, Turvey did on many occasions.

chriso

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mortimer had to go. He was way out of line with his comments. To undermine the head coach and expect them to go win you a premiership?

What sort of bulldog culture is it to try and eat others within? Mortimer was the cancer and I'm glad he's got the heave ho. Terry lamb pull your head in or we should ban him from the club too.

Des Hasler has not ever publicly undermined the club or anyone within. (Voldemorts deserve it) Win or loss he has integrity

It's 2016 people not 1985.
You need to pull your fucken head in you moron. These two blokes are living legends of the club that care about the club because the love it not because of how much money and success it can bring them.

What sort of bulldog culture is it for caring board members to stand around and watch their beloved club go down the shit shoot and say nothing.

Des Hasler undermines not only the club but NRL in general every time he speaks. Cocky disrespectful manly lovin imposter.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even though Hasler may have survived the first round of protests, his position at Belmore is now untenable.
With this hanging over the club, the situation will now get worse.
We couldnt recruit any good players prior to this debacle, so what chance do we have now.

brockodore

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everyone does realize that Mortimer QUIT. He wasn't sacked. And it's not the first time he's done it when the club was in a bit of turmoil

Status
Not open for further replies.