Steve Mortimer leaves Bulldogs as Des Hasler survives board meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

On the way out: Steve Mortimer. Photo: Steve Christo
Des Hasler has survived to coach Canterbury in 2017, with club legend Steve Mortimer instead the casualty at the emergency board meeting called to resolve the club's future.

Mortimer has resigned from his post as a director after breaching the club's code of conduct in his public criticism of Hasler.
Mortimer told Fairfax Media that the club was "losing our DNA" under Hasler, raising speculation that the two-time premiership-winning coach could be on his way out of Belmore.

Instead, Mortimer handed in his resignation at the board meeting at ANZ Stadium, while the remaining directors resolved to allow Hasler to see out the final year of his contract.

No time to chat: Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler arrives at ANZ Stadium. Photo: Sarah Keayes.
Mortimer, one of the club's favourite sons, will remain a director of the leagues club but fell on his sword following his public commentary.

"What I said to you … it breached the code of conduct," Mortimer told Fairfax Media.

"So I said, that being the case, I'm going to resign.

"I'm not angry at anyone, I'm probably angry at myself. I'm too bloody honest and share too much."

Mortimer and Hasler come face to face during the tense meeting, with the former adamant there were no hard feelings.

"We shook hands, not a problem," Mortimer said.

"2017 will be Des Hasler's year and then it's up to them to make a decision on them as to his future. That's not my worry now."

While the long-term future of Hasler remains undecided, the meeting - dubbed the most important in the club's history - ensures he will be at the helm next year.

Hasler left the 4pm meeting after 20 minutes, leaving the board to deliberate.

Hasler arrived to a media scrum at about 2.30pm, before mouthing an expletive at the boom gate, and hurriedly reversing away from the waiting cameras.

He returned to the same entrance about 10 minutes later with the boom gate opened, and sped past the throng without lowering his window for a comment.

The Canterbury board met with Hasler this afternoon to discuss if he should see out the final year of his contract, or be moved on.

The former Manly coach has taken the club to two grand finals in five years, and has never missed the top eight, but questions have been raised since a disappointing finish to this season over as to whether he fits in with the club's culture.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...eting-20161014-gs2p7c.html?platform=hootsuite

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
10AM this morning I posted this.

Gonna be some sad anti Dessers going on antidespressants after 4pm.
If anyone goes today it'll be Turvey with Castle close behind.
From what I heard last night, Turvs has potentially broken a "commercial in confidence" clause by speaking to media, that the board all sign on to, and could face legal action if he digs his heels in.
Only the chairman or CEO can speak on behalf of the club without permission.
If Turvey remains it'll be with a ball gag in his mouth to next election.
You can't speak out of line as a board member, as it ONLY ends one way.

BTW it's not the first time it's happened either.

If I'm Raelene Castle I'm hitting up seek.com.au in the offseason too.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Thurston said the Maroons were headed in the wrong direction, winning or not you'd pique your little ears.

I can't support a team who doesn't care about what it's living legends think, that's disgusting. How could I respect myself if I supported disrespecting old legends?

Go tell Souths and the Roosters that Ron Cootes word doesn't mean anything and see how they respond.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
What other options are there? That's what you have to consider.

If only a handful of people put their names up, they get in.
I'll tell you what Fu3ked Mortimer a beauty, he was the one who pushed hard for this current board, saying they are going to do great things. He was also one of the main people against the Hughes regime. Didn't that come back and bite him in the ass. I have no idea who will come up against this current board. What I do know is most fans have turned on the club.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im fucking gutted, close to tears.
This great club is crumbling before us, we can all see it... However the powers that be deem it nessacery to let this nonsense continue.
I have always been proud to be a member, i wanted to be one for the rest of life (I'm only 24). I always felt a certain pride i knowing that when I'm a fragile old man I've stuck through the good and the bad with the club i love.
It may seem over the top... but i honestly can't see myself funding this utter trash so it can continue...
Sadly it seems like the tradition will have to be broken and the only saving grace i will have is hoping Des reign ends next year before more internal and irreversible damage can be done.
Today marks a sad day in our clubs history and another club legend has been ousted... The family club no more.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Turvey " im to honest"
Im sheding a tear
Love you turvey you gave me many more joyfull memories in one game than these pack a ***** have done in 4 years
Thats it mate the honest blokes always get fucked over. The lying inept ***** have kept there jobs... for now.

Endeavour

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
This news just makes my shit day shitter!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I will never stop supporting the Dogs, but if they ask me to renew my membership they can fuck right off.
I hope they call and ask me,
He fucked himself over, The guy was a board member and he acted like a toddler unprofessional as fk.
He just like all of us on here mate (well most of us), fighting and trying to help fix something he loves. Maybe he went about it the wrong way. But as a club we owe him more than that.

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too much heart to be a board member , good luck Turvey , still and always a legend! Des and Raelene and all the players , time to wake the Fuk up and go the next level , the people have spoken the balls your court over to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.