News Steve Georgalis talks of disappointment in Barrett not retaining him at the Bulldogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like that Barrett is wanting his own crew. Sounds like he wants to own the coach role and have no excuses.

There were way too many excuses under Pay (salary cap mismanagement, young team, lack of focus on juniors, loss of experience, inherited roster etc etc). Even though they are all true to different extents, the club kind of hid behind those things and no-one was taking ownership. Pay could then hide behind those things as well (eg weird team selections and no player development), so there was a lack of accountability. I want our coach to take ownership of the football side of things and I like what I'm seeing from Barrett so far. Hopefully the board lifts their game too. There's no excuses now, including a bare player market - we just have to do better with whoever we've got

For Georgalis, it's never easy to get that sort of news, but telling him early is best so he's got as much time as possible to find something else, and it also takes away all the uncertainty, which is the most debilitating thing of all. I'm sure he'll get over it and stay committed for the rest of the season.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
hopefully barrett doesn't bring in his crew from manly when they let in 622pts in a single season

he needs a better defensive guy

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one expected a top 8 finish. But to not threaten 14th or 15th spot would of hurt his credentials.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Selecting Montoya Holland and tolman in the same side was enough of a job application for ne

we definitely are looking in a different direction.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Aww have a cry lmao, go fuck off and find a new job if you can't handle the heat that's expected with jobs like this

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having read all of the direct quotes, it sounds like he's copped it on the chin with a degree of dignity and expressed some sympathy for the rest of the outgoing staff. He hasn't rubbished the club in anything he said directly. Whoever wrote the article has manipulated the tone of the article in my opinion. It's to a far lesser extent than the articles virtually accusing us of being ***** for sacking Pay.

So rather than go on a binge of sledging SG, read the quotes alone objectively and contemplate the possibility that anything said surrounding the quotes can be used to shape how people view them. I based numerous essays on this strategy while I was a university student.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Having read all of the direct quotes, it sounds like he's copped it on the chin with a degree of dignity and expressed some sympathy for the rest of the outgoing staff. He hasn't rubbished the club in anything he said directly. Whoever wrote the article has manipulated the tone of the article in my opinion. It's to a far lesser extent than the articles virtually accusing us of being c*** for sacking Pay.

So rather than go on a binge of sledging SG, read the quotes alone objectively and contemplate the possibility that anything said surrounding the quotes can be used to shape how people view them. I based numerous essays on this strategy while I was a university student.
I agree. SG's comments would have been exaggerated by journos if they could make a negative Bulldogs headline out of it.

I just judge on his selections now as to how much knowledge he has to put the best team on the park. This vital aspect has been an on going problem at the club and not been fixed by the Admin.

Picking Montoya, Holland not good.

A clear change up by not selecting mistake riddled players would have done more for his credibility and career IMO, however, to be fair we don't know how hampered both him and Pay were. With rumours of Anderson or the Board picking the team or insisting that Lewis get picked. Who knows?

Lets hope Barrett wont be burdened with the same apparent? interference and its the new competent, professional beginning we all hope for.

Reactions: ATT

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cry me a fucking river.

Nothing against him, or any of the ex-coaches. Honestly mean them well, and wish them all the luck in the world in their future endeavours. I really do.

But all this carry on is petty. A new coach is coming in and he'll want to bring & create his own group of backroom staff. This is 100% completely normal at any top sporting team around the world, in whatever code you play in. It's crazy to think otherwise.

Especially in our case where these ex-coaches have been a part of an absolute shitshow of performances for the past 4+ years. What have they done to even deserve a discussion about staying on?

Get over it SG. Seriously.
Imagine if Bennett or Bellamy had been coming in. Would they of retained any of the staff connected to our last 5 years? I seriously think not. A coach needs his own people around him, otherwise the stress of achieving performance objectives is intolerable. Also Barrett is not walking into this appointment blind. He has learnt from his mistakes and needs clean air at Belmore to achieve success.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Imagine if Bennett or Bellamy had been coming in. Would they of retained any of the staff connected to our last 5 years? I seriously think not. A coach needs his own people around him, otherwise the stress of achieving performance objectives is intolerable. Also Barrett is not walking into this appointment blind. He has learnt from his mistakes and needs clean air at Belmore to achieve success.
bennett and bellamy is one thing, but barrett comes in after almost getting manly the wooden spoon so he maybe he should start doing the exact opposite of what he wants and that could help him improve, like if he wants to sack all the bulldogs staff then he should keep them all

so hopefully his initial feeling was to keep SG and sacking him is the opposite move

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like Georgalis but not as a coach, he has made no impact on the team, he needed to show some outside of the box thinking because all we are getting is the same as what we had with Pay, so it only makes sense to clean out the old mentality !

Dogsarnthavingaparty

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Steve Georgallis reveals disappointment at not being retained under Trent Barrett

Bulldogs interim head coach Steve Georgallis has spoken about his disappointment at being one of several staff members who won't be retained under the reign of Trent Barrett.

It was reported earlier this week a host of coaching staff at the Bulldogs, including Georgallis who has taken over as caretaker since the departure of Dean Pay, wouldn't be there in 2021.

Former Manly coach and current Panthers assistant Barrett signed a three-year deal and will head to Belmore at the end of this season.

Georgallis said it was a tough one to take given he'd copped a similar treatment when taking over as interim coach at Penrith following the departure of Matthew Elliott.

"It's hard to handle for the fact that you work really hard to get in a certain position as a coach, you work your way back after this happening to me in 2011, so it's taken me a while to get back to this position, but it's happened," Georgallis told reporters.

"I'm probably more equipped to handle it this time. What do you say? It's a hard pill to swallow."

Georgallis last week spoke of his wish to remain at the club as an assistant under Barrett, though it's now been confirmed an almost entirely new coaching staff will come in.

When asked if he'd been given the chance to speak to Barrett, Georgallis said he hadn't.

"Yeah, it's disappointing, but that's the decision that he's made so you've just got to live by it," he said, adding finding another job in clubland would be tough.

"In our game it's quite hard. Obviously a lot of clubs have a lot of coaches coming through their ranks as well that they would like to give opportunities to," he said.

"I'm hopeful that the experiences I've had and the junior competitions that I've won put me in good stead for someone else to look at me going to their club."

Long-term football department staff members Tony Grimaldi, Harry Harris, Brad Henderson, Tony Ayoub, Steve James and Garry Carden will all not be returning to the club next season.

"They were disappointed because they've probably been here longer than me, Tony Grimaldi and Harry Harris, Brad Henderson - one of the lower grade coaches has been here for seven years - and Tony Ayoub's been here for a while as well," Georgallis said.

"It's difficult. Morale wise, we're a pretty close-knit group so we'll all take it on the chin and understand the game we're involved in and how cutthroat it can be.

"It took one or two days to get over it but now we're looking forward to the game on Sunday."

Currently last with two wins, the Bulldogs take on Wests Tigers at Bankwest Stadium.
Your just shit you need the sack you make wrong choices just look at players your not picking our best up coming stars chris Smith should be playing this is why your getting soaked you don't know what your doing dumb dumb

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Steve would have seen the writing on the wall the minute Pay was sacked. Any incoming coach would want his own support staff.

Georgallis should be thankful he gets to coach a dozen or so FG games this season and if he's good enough he should have no problem getting another job as an assistant elsewhere.