News Steve Georgalis talks of disappointment in Barrett not retaining him at the Bulldogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Steve Georgallis reveals disappointment at not being retained under Trent Barrett

Bulldogs interim head coach Steve Georgallis has spoken about his disappointment at being one of several staff members who won't be retained under the reign of Trent Barrett.

It was reported earlier this week a host of coaching staff at the Bulldogs, including Georgallis who has taken over as caretaker since the departure of Dean Pay, wouldn't be there in 2021.

Former Manly coach and current Panthers assistant Barrett signed a three-year deal and will head to Belmore at the end of this season.

Georgallis said it was a tough one to take given he'd copped a similar treatment when taking over as interim coach at Penrith following the departure of Matthew Elliott.

"It's hard to handle for the fact that you work really hard to get in a certain position as a coach, you work your way back after this happening to me in 2011, so it's taken me a while to get back to this position, but it's happened," Georgallis told reporters.

"I'm probably more equipped to handle it this time. What do you say? It's a hard pill to swallow."

Georgallis last week spoke of his wish to remain at the club as an assistant under Barrett, though it's now been confirmed an almost entirely new coaching staff will come in.

When asked if he'd been given the chance to speak to Barrett, Georgallis said he hadn't.

"Yeah, it's disappointing, but that's the decision that he's made so you've just got to live by it," he said, adding finding another job in clubland would be tough.

"In our game it's quite hard. Obviously a lot of clubs have a lot of coaches coming through their ranks as well that they would like to give opportunities to," he said.

"I'm hopeful that the experiences I've had and the junior competitions that I've won put me in good stead for someone else to look at me going to their club."

Long-term football department staff members Tony Grimaldi, Harry Harris, Brad Henderson, Tony Ayoub, Steve James and Garry Carden will all not be returning to the club next season.

"They were disappointed because they've probably been here longer than me, Tony Grimaldi and Harry Harris, Brad Henderson - one of the lower grade coaches has been here for seven years - and Tony Ayoub's been here for a while as well," Georgallis said.

"It's difficult. Morale wise, we're a pretty close-knit group so we'll all take it on the chin and understand the game we're involved in and how cutthroat it can be.

"It took one or two days to get over it but now we're looking forward to the game on Sunday."

Currently last with two wins, the Bulldogs take on Wests Tigers at Bankwest Stadium.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sort of sad but i guess no blame game if we perform poorly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Also make better selection choices. I don't know how Tolman is still in the side, let alone the interchange bench.
So true. Oposition clubs, and the league public in general, know of our malaise in picking the best 17. When they see a fill in coach continue on with that dumb tactic, although he hasn't been as stubborn or as clueless as Pay, then those watching on quickly dismiss the guys effectiveness.

He has a few weeks to show if he can offer something better and some improvement.

I thought he might get CCup but I'd say Barrett wants a clean slate and no one for the players to be gossiping with :grinning: RT is A SG player who he worked closely with and even that doesn't seem to have developed under his tutelage.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Steve Georgallis reveals disappointment at not being retained under Trent Barrett

Bulldogs interim head coach Steve Georgallis has spoken about his disappointment at being one of several staff members who won't be retained under the reign of Trent Barrett.

It was reported earlier this week a host of coaching staff at the Bulldogs, including Georgallis who has taken over as caretaker since the departure of Dean Pay, wouldn't be there in 2021.

Former Manly coach and current Panthers assistant Barrett signed a three-year deal and will head to Belmore at the end of this season.

Georgallis said it was a tough one to take given he'd copped a similar treatment when taking over as interim coach at Penrith following the departure of Matthew Elliott.

"It's hard to handle for the fact that you work really hard to get in a certain position as a coach, you work your way back after this happening to me in 2011, so it's taken me a while to get back to this position, but it's happened," Georgallis told reporters.

"I'm probably more equipped to handle it this time. What do you say? It's a hard pill to swallow."

Georgallis last week spoke of his wish to remain at the club as an assistant under Barrett, though it's now been confirmed an almost entirely new coaching staff will come in.

When asked if he'd been given the chance to speak to Barrett, Georgallis said he hadn't.

"Yeah, it's disappointing, but that's the decision that he's made so you've just got to live by it," he said, adding finding another job in clubland would be tough.

"In our game it's quite hard. Obviously a lot of clubs have a lot of coaches coming through their ranks as well that they would like to give opportunities to," he said.

"I'm hopeful that the experiences I've had and the junior competitions that I've won put me in good stead for someone else to look at me going to their club."

Long-term football department staff members Tony Grimaldi, Harry Harris, Brad Henderson, Tony Ayoub, Steve James and Garry Carden will all not be returning to the club next season.

"They were disappointed because they've probably been here longer than me, Tony Grimaldi and Harry Harris, Brad Henderson - one of the lower grade coaches has been here for seven years - and Tony Ayoub's been here for a while as well," Georgallis said.

"It's difficult. Morale wise, we're a pretty close-knit group so we'll all take it on the chin and understand the game we're involved in and how cutthroat it can be.

"It took one or two days to get over it but now we're looking forward to the game on Sunday."

Currently last with two wins, the Bulldogs take on Wests Tigers at Bankwest Stadium.
Cry me a fucking river.

Nothing against him, or any of the ex-coaches. Honestly mean them well, and wish them all the luck in the world in their future endeavours. I really do.

But all this carry on is petty. A new coach is coming in and he'll want to bring & create his own group of backroom staff. This is 100% completely normal at any top sporting team around the world, in whatever code you play in. It's crazy to think otherwise.

Especially in our case where these ex-coaches have been a part of an absolute shitshow of performances for the past 4+ years. What have they done to even deserve a discussion about staying on?

Get over it SG. Seriously.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry but Steve G has done nothing to justify his future employment with the Bulldogs... His selective dropping of dwz just validates he has no idea and is complimentary of Dean Pay..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm afraid if these guys were approaching anything like even half way top of their field, they would have offers coming in from other clubs.

The fact they haven't as yet says a lot.

Maybe they will and then it will be a good progression for their careers.

It seems like they got too comfortable and part of the furniture....thats not their fault entirely...that's Managements fault.

Everyone needs to be fighting for their spot or be the best and thats from the top all the way through to the players and ancillary staff.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid if these guys were approaching anything like even half way top of their field, they would have offers coming in from other clubs.
Exactly. I think Ayoub is the only one that will probably get snapped up.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Your rubbish just like Pay and the reason you won't be sought after is because of how shit of a coach you are, collect your paycheck and seeya, no club will look too hire anyone associated with a team that is running last and has not improved in 3 years.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
But all this carry on is petty.
I agree letting it play out publicly is poor form. Cop it on the chin, say nothing except ‘No I won’t be here in 2021, the club has made different choices’ if asked by a journo at the post game presser tomorrow, then get your CV polished and start looking elsewhere. Whatever happened to dignity?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree letting it play out publicly is poor form. Cop it on the chin, say nothing except ‘No I won’t be here in 2021, the club has made different choices’ if asked by a journo at the post game presser tomorrow, then get your CV polished and start looking elsewhere. Whatever happened to dignity?
It's a strange one really as he's done squat to suggest he should be kept. He clearly wasn't doing much as an assistant under Pay, and hasn't been setting the world on fire at the coach now. Not having a dig at the guy, just don't see why he had the balls to come out and suggest that he & others should've be kept. Very naive imo.

Don't hold anything against him, or others who were employed by us. No doubt they gave their all but we've moved on. Really excited for the future!

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Bottom line is this had to happen. We've been waiting for a clean out at this level to happen for a while now and I'm glad it's finally happening.

I'm not holding my breath on Barrett but I like what he's done so far.