'Sports scientist' used the Rabbits as guinea pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ross has already been successfully sued by St Louis linebacker David Vobora "after Vobora tested positive in an NFL drug test a few years back" after taking products provided by Ross that he thought were fine.
Doesn't necessarily mean Souths have been into the peps, but I definitely think it's a point of interest. Thanks for clarification!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well at least they are hassling Souths a bit now. We got blasted by the media in 2012 for everything and anything.
Aw the honeymoon is over. Now all the feel good crap is out of the way, welcome to the scrutiny that comes with success Souths haha.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well according to the article there is at least one NFL player who tested + to banned substances after using this guy's supplements and is now suing over it. I agree that this is not evidence of any wrongdoing on Souths' part and possibly the player just took banned substances and is using this Ross guy for his defence. I'm not crying protected species on this issue at this stage (I think Souths ARE a protected species in a general sense)

I can see why the article is triggering speculation and discussion. He may well just be a snake oil salesman. I'm not pretending to know but whenever an article like this comes out it is bound to generate discussion and some accusations of Souths' guilt. Supporter's forums are generally parochial places, nature of the beast.

Do you know much about this NFL guy 'a story just out of curiosity?
I had no problem with this conversation, fans will be fans and if I was less knowledgeable about this then I am I would probably also be blowing up, but this isn't the first time it has came up and no new evidence has came up since the last two or three times...

i still have years of study to go to get where I am hopefully headed, so am far from a phd level sport scientist myself so take what I say with a grain of salt haha but people I know who are phd level sport scientists all think very little of him. They basically think he is a smart guy, but rather than use his smarts to actually advance the field he instead takes advantage of people less knowledgeable in the field to fleece them of money and offers them nothing in return. They basically regard him as the sports science equivalent of a tv evangelist flogging rapture preparation kits for a quick buck.

i don't know of that case in particular, but I know he has been involved in multiple cases. He probably doesn't care because the average persons reaction isn't, wow he is getting in trouble for these because his product is bullshit and/or not what it claims to be. It is, he is going to court for these items so every product he makes must work or else why would they bother taking him to court. The fact people thinks his shit works is exactly what he wants.

there also has been no evidence that souths used the deer antler spray anyway to the best of my knowledge so it is a massive leap to associate these events with the St. Lois player...

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It did as in who is the chick in the beginning? I ****ing would lol
I would too but my wife would kill me.

Nano 10,000 plus posts congrads man, going strong :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I must be blind or something..

When shes doing the interview I thought I was watching Rick James interview him.

[video=youtube;RfWl7jPkTow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWl7jPkTow[/video]

The blokes huge... I wonder how much "Deer Antler Spray" has contributed to his size?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I had no problem with this conversation, fans will be fans and if I was less knowledgeable about this then I am I would probably also be blowing up, but this isn't the first time it has came up and no new evidence has came up since the last two or three times...

i still have years of study to go to get where I am hopefully headed, so am far from a phd level sport scientist myself so take what I say with a grain of salt haha but people I know who are phd level sport scientists all think very little of him. They basically think he is a smart guy, but rather than use his smarts to actually advance the field he instead takes advantage of people less knowledgeable in the field to fleece them of money and offers them nothing in return. They basically regard him as the sports science equivalent of a tv evangelist flogging rapture preparation kits for a quick buck.

i don't know of that case in particular, but I know he has been involved in multiple cases. He probably doesn't care because the average persons reaction isn't, wow he is getting in trouble for these because his product is bullshit and/or not what it claims to be. It is, he is going to court for these items so every product he makes must work or else why would they bother taking him to court. The fact people thinks his shit works is exactly what he wants.

there also has been no evidence that souths used the deer antler spray anyway to the best of my knowledge so it is a massive leap to associate these events with the St. Lois player...
Fair enough. Thanks for the detailed response. I'm not saying they used the antler spray. I just wonder why clubs continue to associate with guys like this. I mean a quick google search would have told them he's been connected to performance enhancing substances at least once before and using any of his products ...especially during a time when ASADA and drugs in sport are all over the headlines just seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth for a simple placebo effect.

Anyway, unless some sort of clear evidence emerges, I'm not going to accuse them of any cheating. I just have to shake my head and question the logic of some associations in the sporting world.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough. Thanks for the detailed response. I'm not saying they used the antler spray. I just wonder why clubs continue to associate with guys like this. I mean a quick google search would have told them he's been connected to performance enhancing substances at least once before and using any of his products ...especially during a time when ASADA and drugs in sport are all over the headlines just seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth for a simple placebo effect.

Anyway, unless some sort of clear evidence emerges, I'm not going to accuse them of any cheating. I just have to shake my head and question the logic of some associations in the sporting world.
Agreed. Other than the guy being sued and banned from trading in at least one state of America, it's just stupid to trade with any guy who has a bad reputation.

I'm sure if it was any club other than Souths then the NRL would be carrying out a witch hunt.

From my understanding of it, the NRL requested a sample of the products being used and found that the ice spray was no different to your usual ice therapy sprays and the chips didn't put anything into the body at all so both were found to be legal products.

So the NRL did their part but it still seems stupid associating with a guy with such a checkered past.

Reaction score
Some people need to grow up.

The two products that were used were cleared by the NRL who were in tight communication with ASADA at the time.

Whether or not they were complimentary is the only real story here, no question over South Sydney's brilliant performance.

It's a extremely weak story but some idiots will buy into it and this story will sell a few papers and get a few clicks, great work by the media outlet.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Would you trust a guy who looked this stupid?

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im trying to sell my vitamin enriched dildos to souths , ive told them the further you push the better results.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Im trying to sell my vitamin enriched dildos to souths , ive told them the further you push the better results.
I'm currently developing a gerbil juice enema spray. Guaranteed to make you run faster!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Agreed. Other than the guy being sued and banned from trading in at least one state of America, it's just stupid to trade with any guy who has a bad reputation.

I'm sure if it was any club other than Souths then the NRL would be carrying out a witch hunt.

From my understanding of it, the NRL requested a sample of the products being used and found that the ice spray was no different to your usual ice therapy sprays and the chips didn't put anything into the body at all so both were found to be legal products.

So the NRL did their part but it still seems stupid associating with a guy with such a checkered past.
Yeah I just don't see the sense in it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We should go into business. Supplements for ar$eholes. It has a nice ring to it!

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't he sell them (or, according to Souths, gave them to them because he loved them) those "chips" the media already covered that after the finals.

They are stickers...... not much need for the NRL to ban players wearing stickers. There is nothing wrong with Placebo's, if you believe it is doing something, then great.

Only story here really seems to me is that Souths are running out on the bill....... maybe just a marketing tactic to help their fans identify with the club better :p

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm currently developing a gerbil juice enema spray. Guaranteed to make you run faster!
Some notorious aussie con man finally got arrested like a month ago. The guy made millions on scam weight loss pills, he was dating models and had millions.

Modern day snake oil salesmen can still make a killing from ignorant people.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I just don't see the sense in it.
Placebos are way more common than you would think... From my experience it is one of the best methods to get athletes out of ruts, and even with athletes already performing well you can convince them they are capable of just a little more... If you can help trigger that first step back in the right direction people who have the talent to get the job done will. That is the sense in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.