'Sports scientist' used the Rabbits as guinea pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...e-rabbits-as-guinea-pigs-20141121-11r6y8.html

A highly controversial "sports scientist", who was at the centre of an NFL storm after he provided players with "deer antler spray" that they allege contained banned substances, is in dispute with South Sydney over the supply of "products" to the premiership-winning team in 2014.

Mitch Ross, who, among other things, also once sold products in America that he claimed – no, really – "can reverse the effects of post-concussion damage to the brain", turned up at Souths this year. My informant says he provided Souths "all sorts of substances", and he says the dispute now is that Souths won't "pay him ... for his services".

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson strongly denies this, saying: "The club has never entered into any contract either written or verbal with Mitch Ross ... Conversations have taken place with [coach] Michael Maguire where he agreed with Ross to 'experiment' with two of his products on a complimentary basis. These two products were cleared by our testing agencies, as well as by the NRL. The only invoice we have received has been for around $6000 – for products which were supposed to be 'free' – which we have refused to pay as no purchase order has ever been raised or approved. The club has no intention of purchasing any products from Mitch Ross in the future."

Watch this space, sports fans, it might get interesting. My central query is why, most particularly in the current ASADA environment, would you not run screaming from the room, and burn the clothes you were in at the time, when made an offer to provide "products" by such a man when a simple Google turns ups allegations that Ross has already been successfully sued by St Louis linebacker David Vobora "after Vobora tested positive in an NFL drug test a few years back" after taking products provided by Ross that he thought were fine.

"There's not a lot positive about this guy," Vobora is quoted as saying.

Seriously, with allegations like that, how on earth could he be let within a bull's roar of Souths?

I originally posted about this in the lead up to the GF last year, seems it was even dodgeyer (is this even a word?) than was first mentioned....if that's possible. You would think that due to Souths winning a GF under a "supplement program shadow" than they would pay the bloke the 6k to avoid waves and stay quiet? The tight arse pr*cks! Hope he burns them.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...e-rabbits-as-guinea-pigs-20141121-11r6y8.html

A highly controversial "sports scientist", who was at the centre of an NFL storm after he provided players with "deer antler spray" that they allege contained banned substances, is in dispute with South Sydney over the supply of "products" to the premiership-winning team in 2014.

Mitch Ross, who, among other things, also once sold products in America that he claimed – no, really – "can reverse the effects of post-concussion damage to the brain", turned up at Souths this year. My informant says he provided Souths "all sorts of substances", and he says the dispute now is that Souths won't "pay him ... for his services".

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson strongly denies this, saying: "The club has never entered into any contract either written or verbal with Mitch Ross ... Conversations have taken place with [coach] Michael Maguire where he agreed with Ross to 'experiment' with two of his products on a complimentary basis. These two products were cleared by our testing agencies, as well as by the NRL. The only invoice we have received has been for around $6000 – for products which were supposed to be 'free' – which we have refused to pay as no purchase order has ever been raised or approved. The club has no intention of purchasing any products from Mitch Ross in the future."

Watch this space, sports fans, it might get interesting. My central query is why, most particularly in the current ASADA environment, would you not run screaming from the room, and burn the clothes you were in at the time, when made an offer to provide "products" by such a man when a simple Google turns ups allegations that Ross has already been successfully sued by St Louis linebacker David Vobora "after Vobora tested positive in an NFL drug test a few years back" after taking products provided by Ross that he thought were fine.

"There's not a lot positive about this guy," Vobora is quoted as saying.

Seriously, with allegations like that, how on earth could he be let within a bull's roar of Souths?

I originally posted about this in the lead up to the GF last year, seems it was even dodgeyer (is this even a word?) than was first mentioned....if that's possible. You would think that due to Souths winning a GF under a "supplement program shadow" than they would pay the bloke the 6k to avoid waves and stay quiet? The tight arse pr*cks! Hope he burns them.
So they only won by using banned and illegal substances? Farr no wonder we lost

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
1) There is no chance this will go any further as it involves "the pride of the league" (said completely ironically)
2) there is no point 2 - it is all just bulls#%T and it disgusts me

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1) There is no chance this will go any further as it involves "the pride of the league" (said completely ironically)
2) there is no point 2 - it is all just bulls#%T and it disgusts me
Souths r a protected species unfortunately

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There won't be anything in it. The supplements have already been found to have no benefit illegal or otherwise and no contract was signed. Even if he did have a legal agreement with Souths they could just raise the case of false advertising since the products are placebos.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Are they talking about that antler velvet crap?i gather IGF-1 would be banned here? Though i think WADA lifted it?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My understanding of the review process was this

NRL to Souths - Is there anything illegal in this?

Souths to Mitch Ross - Is there anything illegal in this?

Mitch Ross to Souths - Naaah

Souths to the NRL - Naaah

NRL to Souths -

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
My understanding of the review process was this

NRL to Souths - Is there anything illegal in this?

Souths to Mitch Ross - Is there anything illegal in this?

Mitch Ross to Souths - Naaah

Souths to the NRL - Naaah

NRL to Souths -
Thanks for this Ecca. It gave me a good laugh and deserved a thumbs up.

I think the NRL review process is not as thorough as you have detailed.

You could probably leave out lines 3 and 4 to simplify it even more.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Talk about a MOJOR *the 2014 Premiership will be forever laden in controversy. First the sharks get done by ASADA, now the Bunnies get caught up in their own drug scandal!!! There is a sense of poetic justice here :grinning:

View attachment 22123

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Talk about a MOJOR *the 2014 Premiership will be forever laden in controversy. First the sharks get done by ASADA, now the Bunnies get caught up in their own drug scandal!!! There is a sense of poetic justice here :grinning:

View attachment 22123

Sadly, there will not be a * next to it, and by rights, if accurate, the should be stripped of the premiership

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sadly, there will not be a * next to it, and by rights, if accurate, the should be stripped of the premiership
Going by all reports before and after the game and the fan fare that followed, as far as I'm concerned there will always be an astrix next to the 2014 Premiership.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And hand it to us like they do in the Olympics where if first place is caught cheating then they give the gold to the guy who ran second.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jesus Christ how many times do we have to talk about this shit... I am pretty sure as Jacobshade has said about 15000 times now the guy was prohibited from selling his product in (atleast one state in) the USA because he couldn't provide evidence it worked and provided an article on it demonstrating this was the case... All the bullshit he compares his product too are proven to not work and be only placebo effects. The chips that they used aren't even prohibited under wada rules and their is no evidence they used the deer antler spray (which has caused some problems in the past) other than that they were talking to a guy who sells it...

it it has nothing to do with it being souths. At this point it has everything to do (based on the evidence that has got out in the newspapers etc.) with the fact souths did nothing wrong.

i am studying a form of sports science and have been lucky enough to meet some guys who are actually at the top of the field. Mitch Ross is a snake oil salesman... Seriously it's not even difficult to figure out that...

just give it a rest.

also: some journalists opinion isn't worth shit. Unless he has a phd in either kinesiology or sports medicine.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well at least they are hassling Souths a bit now. We got blasted by the media in 2012 for everything and anything.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Jesus Christ how many times do we have to talk about this shit... I am pretty sure as Jacobshade has said about 15000 times now the guy was prohibited from selling his product in (atleast one state in) the USA because he couldn't provide evidence it worked and provided an article on it demonstrating this was the case... All the bullshit he compares his product too are proven to not work and be only placebo effects. The chips that they used aren't even prohibited under wada rules and their is no evidence they used the deer antler spray (which has caused some problems in the past) other than that they were talking to a guy who sells it...

it it has nothing to do with it being souths. At this point it has everything to do (based on the evidence that has got out in the newspapers etc.) with the fact souths did nothing wrong.

i am studying a form of sports science and have been lucky enough to meet some guys who are actually at the top of the field. Mitch Ross is a snake oil salesman... Seriously it's not even difficult to figure out that...

just give it a rest.

also: some journalists opinion isn't worth shit. Unless he has a phd in either kinesiology or sports medicine.
Well according to the article there is at least one NFL player who tested + to banned substances after using this guy's supplements and is now suing over it. I agree that this is not evidence of any wrongdoing on Souths' part and possibly the player just took banned substances and is using this Ross guy for his defence. I'm not crying protected species on this issue at this stage (I think Souths ARE a protected species in a general sense)

I can see why the article is triggering speculation and discussion. He may well just be a snake oil salesman. I'm not pretending to know but whenever an article like this comes out it is bound to generate discussion and some accusations of Souths' guilt. Supporter's forums are generally parochial places, nature of the beast.

Do you know much about this NFL guy 'a story just out of curiosity?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

just give it a rest.

PS not being a smart ar$e. I'm more than willing to admit I don't have any background knowledge on this guy and if you've heard of him you obviously know more about him than I do.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Well according to the article there is at least one NFL player who tested + to banned substances after using this guy's supplements and is now suing over it. I agree that this is not evidence of any wrongdoing on Souths' part and possibly the player just took banned substances and is using this Ross guy for his defence. I'm not crying protected species on this issue at this stage (I think Souths ARE a protected species in a general sense)

I can see why the article is triggering speculation and discussion. He may well just be a snake oil salesman. I'm not pretending to know but whenever an article like this comes out it is bound to generate discussion and some accusations of Souths' guilt. Supporter's forums are generally parochial places, nature of the beast.

Question also applies to Jacob Shade or anyone else who has more knowledge of the guy's background than me.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ross has already been successfully sued by St Louis linebacker David Vobora "after Vobora tested positive in an NFL drug test a few years back" after taking products provided by Ross that he thought were fine.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And hand it to us like they do in the Olympics where if first place is caught cheating then they give the gold to the guy who ran second.
No because we didn't technically win the premiership. Manly didn't get given the 2007 Premiership neither did the Eels get the 2009 premiership after the Storm were stripped of both and we were laughing at them at the time for requesting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.