Spend $3.5 Million on 8 Players

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No. He's infinitely more likely to stay as now he can play 80 minutes every week and doesn't have to look over his shoulder at someone taking his job.

It's between 8-12 months. So by the time Verillis and Radley are ready to play big minutes, it will be halfway through next season.
No.

NRL Physio said 6-9 months.

"Worst case scenario confirmed for the Roosters’ Victor Radley & Sam Verrills, with scans revealing the pair have suffered ACL injuries. Both will undergo reconstruction surgery, with a usual recovery time of 6-9 months. Wish both players the best with recovery process ahead"

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.5 mil Chase

Grant
Bateman
Rona or Koroibete
Welch
Burton

if we Get Rona, DWZ wing
If we get Koroibete, DWZ centre

I’d still have a sneaky look at Coates. Smith can play, but he’s lost his mojo and needs to be ON THE WING!

1 Averillo
2 DWZ
3 Hoppa
4 Rona
5 Smith
6 Burton
7 Foran
8 To’Omaga
9 Grant (or B Smith)
10 Welch
11 Jackson
12 Bateman
13 Thompson

14 Wakeham
15 RFM
16 Elliot (take what we offer or see ya. Bateman is a much better player)
17 Tolman (on reduced) or Napa

still have
Stimson (needs to get fit!!)
Ogden
Tass
Katoa (hooker)
katoa (Young Back)
Dooley
Smith
Britt
JMK
Lewis

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No.

NRL Physio said 6-9 months.

"Worst case scenario confirmed for the Roosters’ Victor Radley & Sam Verrills, with scans revealing the pair have suffered ACL injuries. Both will undergo reconstruction surgery, with a usual recovery time of 6-9 months. Wish both players the best with recovery process ahead"
Are you really arguing that Friend isn't more likely to stay after Verillis tore his ACL? Friend was about to re-sign before this happened.

Up to 9 months til they've recovered and are ready for full contact training without restrictions. Do you think they'll play huge minutes to start the season? Do you even know how teams manage players coming back from ACL's? They don't just throw them into a full workload straight away.

Plus this is Verillis' second ACL injury which is a huge red flag. Which makes having Friend around even more important.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Friend is still playing well. He is injury prone and can't play 80 minutes week in and out. The only reason why he's at the top of the list is there's next to nothing else available. Unless we're able to get someone contracted.
I know what you’re saying but after what we’ve been through I just think buying anyone who’s known to be injury prone and can’t play 80 is the wrong move. After Foz we have to be smarter (even though Friend would cost nowhere near the same money).

I’m not sure of the reason Katoa isn’t being used but there must be a reason and if we can’t get someone ‘next-gen’ for ‘21 then maybe we fill other key positions, keep what we’ve got and have a crack at a top notch 9 for ‘22.

We likely have to be realistic that we are not going to fill every position with our ideal candidate for ‘21, however we will definitely improve hopefully!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Are you really arguing that Friend isn't more likely to stay after Verillis tore his ACL? Friend was about to re-sign before this happened.

Up to 9 months til they've recovered and are ready for full contact training without restrictions. Do you think they'll play huge minutes to start the season? Do you even know how teams manage players coming back from ACL's? They don't just throw them into a full workload straight away.

Plus this is Verillis' second ACL injury which is a huge red flag. Which makes having Friend around even more important.
I still think 700k a year for two years is hard for someone like Friend to turn down. Roosters would be offering a lot less and only one year. He's still an option until he's re-signed imo. At some point Friend needs to look after himself too.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know what you’re saying but after what we’ve been through I just think buying anyone who’s known to be injury prone and can’t play 80 is the wrong move. After Foz we have to be smarter (even though Friend would cost nowhere near the same money).

I’m not sure of the reason Katoa isn’t being used but there must be a reason and if we can’t get someone ‘next-gen’ for ‘21 then maybe we fill other key positions, keep what we’ve got and have a crack at a top notch 9 for ‘22.

We likely have to be realistic that we are not going to fill every position with our ideal candidate for ‘21, however we will definitely improve hopefully!
I agree, I just don't want anymore JMK at hooker anymore :( We just need someone decent, it doesn't have to be Friend.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend ~700k (Brandon Smith if available, Grant too expensive, close to, if not, ~1m for us)
Cotric ~700k
Bateman ~800k
Welch ~400k (before Welch did his ACL he was reportedly about to sign for the Eels for ~500k, maybe that's what It'd cost)

Re-sign Elliott ~400k (pushing for more by the looks of it), Foran ~400k, Wakeham ~200k

Fill the rest with close to, if not, minimum wage.

View attachment 15566

Looks good :D
I disagree with re-signing Foran, too injury prone, Friend is getting close to retirement so I would cross him off too.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I disagree with re-signing Foran, too injury prone, Friend is getting close to retirement so I would cross him off too.
I personally want an experienced half next to Wakeham. If we didn't go down that road tho I'd like Burton. I agree with Friend, he's just a short term option as there's next to nothing else available. We've backed ourselves into a corner regarding hookers.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Don't bother lad

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally want an experienced half next to Wakeham. If we didn't go down that road tho I'd like Burton. I agree with Friend, he's just a short term option as there's next to nothing else available. We've backed ourselves into a corner regarding hookers.
Burton, definitely!!!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
We should pry away some of those raiders players under contract. imagine bringing klockstad, hodgson, cotric and bateman over.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Hookers off contract are Havili, Luke, Brittain, King, Peats, Watson, Mahoney and Friend.
All better than what we have but would prefer to throw big coin at Grant
I think Luke a shrewd purchase from there. No rep duties and experience.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Friend ~700k (Brandon Smith if available, Grant too expensive, close to, if not, ~1m for us)
Cotric ~700k
Bateman ~800k
Welch ~400k (before Welch did his ACL he was reportedly about to sign for the Eels for ~500k, maybe that's what It'd cost)

Re-sign Elliott ~400k (pushing for more by the looks of it), Foran ~400k, Wakeham ~200k

Fill the rest with close to, if not, minimum wage.

View attachment 15566

Looks good :D

yeah it does except time to say goodbye to jmk

reserve grade with lewis

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friend will never leave the Roosters and Uncle Nick won’t let him leave. End of story.

Tex Hoy won’t leave Newcastle, at least for the next couple of years, even if he stays on the bench. He doesn’t want to move away.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Friend will never leave the Roosters and Uncle Nick won’t let him leave. End of story.

Tex Hoy won’t leave Newcastle, at least for the next couple of years, even if he stays on the bench. He doesn’t want to move away.
You're probably right about Hoy. But with Ponga at fullback and Pearce at halfback long term that only leaves 5/8th and Mann is playing well there so he won't be dropped for a while.

The club should offer a big deal to Hoy, even if he's likely to stay. And if that fails, target Phoenix Crossland as even if Hoy eventually starts 5/8th, then there's nowhere for Crossland to play.

The club should be taking advantage of other clubs logjams and poaching their best youngsters.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should pry away some of those raiders players under contract. imagine bringing klockstad, hodgson, cotric and bateman over.
The Raiders are in their window for a premiership they wont be leaving anytime soon.
Anyone who has played the game knows this is the most important thing.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: all shit aside bulldogs have $3 mil set aside for 3 players