Slow Recovery for RFM

Malla

Reaction score
You just cannot rely on him to make any meaningful contribution with his injury record. If it’s not this foot injury he will get injure something else. If he plays more than a handful of games it’s a bonus.
Agreed
He should just bulk up a little more and play in the front row.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Feet are complex organs, there are 26 x bones, 30 x joints and over 100 x muscles, tendons and ligaments in each foot. A stress fracture is most common in the 2nd or 3rd metatarsal as they are thinner and longer than the 1st metatarsal. They don't get a lot of blood flow which also means longer recovery time. My understanding is, as per normal practise, we tried the nonsurgical treatment, the usual RICE protocols (Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation) plus anti-inflammatory medication and using crutches to keep weight off his foot until the pain subsides which can take up to 6 weeks. This wasn't successful, the fracture didn't heal and as a result I believe we resorted to surgical treatment, internal fixation, which involves supporting the bone/s by inserting a fastener/s, pins, screws, and/or plates. Recovery time is commonly 4 to 8 weeks, again this wasn't successful. So we resorted to an autogenous bone graft, commonly taken from the tibia, with a recovery time of around 10 weeks. This is not a "no risk" procedure, as the tibia can be weakened by the bone removal.

A quick add 6 + 8 + 10 = 24 weeks plus add in assessment time before and after each step and it's easy to see how long it has taken. Of course it would be easy, in hindsight, to say we should have gone for the bone graft straight away, but that's not the usual process, particularly if the patient shows no previous history of slow bone regeneration.

Always a Bulldog
Didn't know the foot was an organ...
You're bang on the money though, poor vascular supply to the bones makes healing difficult.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sure id risk him for round 1, if he has no trials under his belt.

Reggies might be the way to go to start. Get his confidence back - it’ll be pretty much a full year in my mind before we see him in FG
We won't rush him back, But Twin Turbos Info says about 24 weeks,His operation was about 12 weeks ago. So fingers crossed he's available closer to the start,than the end of the season

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope he can make a successful comeback. He deserves to after his miserable last 2 years and the work he's put in.

I've always liked Ray, from the time we swapped him for Lane. Hopefully we'll be able to tune into Raymond FM again lol.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agreed
He should just bulk up a little more and play in the front row.
I don’t reckon he needs to bulk up. When he was coming off the bench in the middle he was a beast. He looked awkward to tackle, high knees and his elbows going everywhere. Edge he can’t be considered at all. Bloke can’t pass, can’t run straight and he’s a shirt grabber.

shame about his injury but he should be moved on. The only instance where he should be extended on minimum wage is if he makes it back for 10 games or so next season, kills it in reserve grade and then a few first grade games at the end.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on a decent salary to be honest, 300kish. That’s good money to spend elsewhere.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Feet are complex organs, there are 26 x bones, 30 x joints and over 100 x muscles, tendons and ligaments in each foot. A stress fracture is most common in the 2nd or 3rd metatarsal as they are thinner and longer than the 1st metatarsal. They don't get a lot of blood flow which also means longer recovery time. My understanding is, as per normal practise, we tried the nonsurgical treatment, the usual RICE protocols (Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation) plus anti-inflammatory medication and using crutches to keep weight off his foot until the pain subsides which can take up to 6 weeks. This wasn't successful, the fracture didn't heal and as a result I believe we resorted to surgical treatment, internal fixation, which involves supporting the bone/s by inserting a fastener/s, pins, screws, and/or plates. Recovery time is commonly 4 to 8 weeks, again this wasn't successful. So we resorted to an autogenous bone graft, commonly taken from the tibia, with a recovery time of around 10 weeks. This is not a "no risk" procedure, as the tibia can be weakened by the bone removal.

A quick add 6 + 8 + 10 = 24 weeks plus add in assessment time before and after each step and it's easy to see how long it has taken. Of course it would be easy, in hindsight, to say we should have gone for the bone graft straight away, but that's not the usual process, particularly if the patient shows no previous history of slow bone regeneration.

Always a Bulldog
Thanks for the explanation... top post :grinning:

Hopefully he can get back to post injury form soon. Age is ticking away for him.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
The one bloke I really wish for a speedy and uneventful recovery. On his best day, he's up there with one of the best 2nd rowers in the comp.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I sat behind him/willie m and reni m at dogs v parra game watching they absolutely love the dogs were so pumped when we were doing well depressed when not ,hope he recovers soon

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those rumours a few months back of near retirement for RFM do not sound too far off the mark now.

Damaging player when on the park - hopefully he will have a good season on the park. Despite his limited games with us, he’s a player pencilled in for our 17 at full strength.
I still blame Des for releasing Shaun Lane in order to sign RFM....

Nice guy RFM but we really havent got anywhere near our share of value out of him. Hope he gets a chance to play again.