Opinion Skelton

Bullfrog2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He appears to be a coach who picks effort players who are predictable and won’t “lose you a game” rather than guys who are unpredictable, with X factor make the odd mistake but can win you a game with a moment of brilliance.
Yup they can win a game for you as long as they don’t let in 4 try’s in the process!
You look at the top teams and it’s all about effort and not making mistakes!
We have the X factor with Taaffe and if he makes three mistakes and lets in 3 tries, everyone wants him crucified.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Obviously he's not getting into our FG lineup any time soon as we're stacked in the backs and there are a few others not playing that are ahead of him..

But Skelton had 321 metres against Newcastle with 121 of them post contact.. That's his second 300 plus metre game in a few weeks..

He's too good for Reserves and eventually another club will snap him up.. It would be a shame to lose him but at the same time, he deserves an opportunity somewhere..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Obviously he's not getting into our FG lineup any time soon as we're stacked in the backs and there are a few others not playing that are ahead of him..

But Skelton had 321 metres against Newcastle with 121 of them post contact.. That's his second 300 plus metre game in a few weeks..

He's too good for Reserves and eventually another club will snap him up.. It would be a shame to lose him but at the same time, he deserves an opportunity somewhere..
He needs to be turned into a utility Super Sub...there'll always be injuries. Maybe then we can keep him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He needs to be turned into a utility Super Sub...there'll always be injuries. Maybe then we can keep him.
The only problem with that is he could only really play winger. I doubt they trust him in the 2nd row but then again, Okunbur started a bunch of games there when he is way worse, was a shocking defender and has a tenth of the talent of Skelton, so it may be an option eventually..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only problem with that is he could only really play winger. I doubt they trust him in the 2nd row but then again, Okunbur started a bunch of games there when he is way worse, was a shocking defender and has a tenth of the talent of Skelton, so it may be an option eventually..
Seems like the only way to fit him in. He could be really outstanding for us and offer a huge point of difference. Such a raw boned thing and does deserve an opportunity.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It may be that his value to us will be highest as a player we can trade!

Which club needs a back and has a front rower they may be prepared to swap??
I mentioned that earlier and believe he'll either bide his time and sneak into the team, or be bartered off. Same way we bartered of Gabrielle for Tracey.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shift him from wing to the backrow for 20 minutes in reggies for a few games .... see how he handles the defensive load.

If he goes well, he could be handy off the bench .... having someone to cover for an outside back/edge who can provide big meters with impact could be very useful moving forward .... he is big and tough enough.

To my eye he is twice the player he was 12 months ago .... the club has nurtured him very well.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He appears to be a coach who picks effort players who are predictable and won’t “lose you a game” rather than guys who are unpredictable, with X factor make the odd mistake but can win you a game with a moment of brilliance.
Or lose you a game with a moment of stupidity.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It may be that his value to us will be highest as a player we can trade!

Which club needs a back and has a front rower they may be prepared to swap??
Good point and for the RIGHT player for sure .... However, i would be very disappointed to lose him as i mentioned above he has improved out of sight.

I think we could have a VERY good player on our hands .... much better than i initially thought.

That no look pass the other day was brilliant and his carries are brutal .... looks extremely fit and very willing to get stuck in.

I have heard Gus say he thinks center will be his best position .... edge is only one spot in and he definitely has the size and toughness .... just saying.

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
Skelton as an impact sub is a good idea. There's no room in the backs for now and if we don't put him in the side, I can easily see a team like the cowboys picking him up. We will regret losing him.

Some people don't realise that a guy that can get you 300m a game and multiple tackle breaks is a UNICORN. Last year he got 181m against the Broncos and 197m against the Panthers. That alone is pretty unbelievable. Averillo got only 122m and 88m in those same matches coming from fullback. Skelton craps all over Averillo in attack, isn't fearful of doing the hard hit ups like Averillo was and on top of that Averillo is one of the worst defenders in the NRL but yet was adored by many on this forum.

Put it this way - he would give us way more value than Patalo who is made of glass and can only last for 15 minutes. Rather than wasting a bench spot on Patalo give it to Skelton.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Skelton as an impact sub is a good idea. There's no room in the backs for now and if we don't put him in the side, I can easily see a team like the cowboys picking him up. We will regret losing him.

Some people don't realise that a guy that can get you 300m a game and multiple tackle breaks is a UNICORN. Last year he got 181m against the Broncos and 197m against the Panthers. That alone is pretty unbelievable. Averillo got only 122m and 88m in those same matches coming from fullback. Skelton craps all over Averillo in attack, isn't fearful of doing the hard hit ups like Averillo was and on top of that Averillo is one of the worst defenders in the NRL but yet was adored by many on this forum.

Put it this way - he would give us way more value than Patalo who is made of glass and can only last for 15 minutes. Rather than wasting a bench spot on Patalo give it to Skelton.
Maybe we could turn him into a middle. But that would take a long time. Most likely an off season. Defensively he could cost us currently.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good point and for the RIGHT player for sure .... However, i would be very disappointed to lose him as i mentioned above he has improved out of sight.

I think we could have a VERY good player on our hands .... much better than i initially thought.

That no look pass the other day was brilliant and his carries are brutal .... looks extremely fit and very willing to get stuck in.

I have heard Gus say he thinks center will be his best position .... edge is only one spot in and he definitely has the size and toughness .... just saying.
Barring a spate of injuries,I don't see how he gets in the side now unfortunately. It's gonna suck to see him running out for someone else, which seems the way it's headed. I'd be surprised if he hasn't received some interest already

Last edited:

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Losing good players because they want to go somewhere better is a sign of a failing club.
Losing good players because your FG side is too stacked for them to break in a sign of a successful one.

We have to get used to losing good players. When your recruitment is on point and your pathways are healthy, it becomes an inevitability.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Losing good players because they want to go somewhere better is a sign of a failing club.
Losing good players because your FG side is too stacked for them to break in a sign of a successful one.

We have to get used to losing good players. When your recruitment is on point and your pathways are healthy, it becomes an inevitability.
100% We just need to keep the right ones. I like Skelton but not sure where he fits in our current list.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Very true. Skelton's still a player I'd like to keep if we can afford him. I doubt we can though if he's playing wing in NSW Cup and making 200m a game. Unless he can gets a bit of time in the backrow and can handle the defence, he'll be picked up as a back by another team, or rugby. I'd have him in front of Wilson myself, but he still doesn't make our top backline, or the bench without more versatility.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Skelton/Wilson/Taaffe for Wiremu Greig/Emre Guler/Mathew Croker.

Any one of those 3 backs for one of those props would help our team.