News Six Tackles With Gus Podcast

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the ‘clean slate’ thing from Gus is a bit of lip service. At this stage of the year and with 13 still off contract there’s simply no way that all of them will be considered for retention, so why bother saying that?
Because Gus loves to talk, he will say one thing in the media and something totally different behind closed doors. At least all the attention will be focused on him instead of others at the club, Gus can handle it and loves it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the ‘clean slate’ thing from Gus is a bit of lip service. At this stage of the year and with 13 still off contract there’s simply no way that all of them will be considered for retention, so why bother saying that?
Clean slate unless your name is Dylan Napa or William Hopoate who are both overpaid

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we won’t be at the level where we can beat Penrith, melbourne but we will definitely make the 8 with the side we have

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was talking specifically about whether a new player should be brought into the squad right now if available (that being TPG). Bring the new expensive forward into the fold at the same time as the other new signings, of which there are quite a few.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
we won’t be at the level where we can beat Penrith, melbourne but we will definitely make the 8 with the side we have
Yeah its all going to come down to how well the players sync in pre season, how quickly the combos start to happen. It is a matter of when, not if.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Why Dogs opted against attaining Tevita Pangai Junior immediately, footy boss Phil Gould reveals

41 minutes ago
The Bulldogs opted against snapping up Tevita Pangai Junior immediately so they could start the new pre-season with "a clean slate" and give those already on their roster a chance to "make a statement", new footy boss Phil Gould has revealed.

Canterbury announced this week that Pangai Junior had committed to a three-year deal beginning in November, giving the talented front-rower a home after he was told by the Broncos he was unwanted.

Nine's Danny Weidler is reporting that Pangai Junior will head to the Bulldogs via the Panthers, after agreeing to a short-term deal with Penrith for the remainder of this season.

Gould, who's less than a week into his job as Canterbury's general manager of football, explained the decision to not immediately sign Pangai Junior on Wide World of Sports' Six Tackles with Gus podcast.

"We would just like to start with a clean slate come November," Gould said.

"That's what we've budgeted for.

"At the moment we're in last position, I really want to have a look at the players we've got and one of my first priorities is to give all of these players (a chance)."

Tevita Pangai Junior crashes into the Titans defence in Broncos colours. (Getty)
The Bulldogs are now based in a hub on the Gold Coast and Gould said he had addressed the playing group in a Zoom call.

"I spoke to them by Zoom last night for the first time in camp up there in Queensland, just a short conversation to say, 'Hello, I'm here, if there's anything you need feel free to call'," Gould said.

"And [I was] virtually saying, 'Look, I'm wiping the slate clean with all of you, you've got a clean slate with me, you've got the last period of the competition to still make a statement about yourself, both as an individual and a team, and whether or not you want to be a part of the Bulldogs in the future'.

"And that's what football is. It's train hard, play hard, never give up and show your consistent performance.

"I said, 'Whatever's happened up until now doesn't interest me; I just want to see what you can do from this point on'. I want to see if we can get some sort of reaction from players that might on the fringe. I said, 'Whatever stage your career is in at the moment - doesn't matter how old you are or how many games you've played or where you think you're posted - tell me why a good finish to the season would benefit you at this stage'."

Tevita Pangai Junior as a Bronco. (Getty)
In the meantime, Gould has the opportunity to see how Pangai Junior fares in a new environment, as the Tonga international bolsters the Panthers in their pursuit of their first NRL premiership since 2003.

Gould understands Penrith's thinking behind attaining Pangai Junior on a short-term deal, noting depth and the former Bronco's enormous potential.

Front-rower James Fisher-Harris will return to Sydney after this weekend's clash with Brisbane for the both of his child and, despite the Panthers' request for him to be granted an exemption, the New Zealand international will need to spend two weeks in a Queensland quarantine hotel before rejoining the squad.

In an additional test of Penrith's depth in the forward pack, NSW State of Origin workhorse Isaah Yeo will need a break before the finals to freshen up, Gould says.

The rugby league guru believes the Panthers' short-term attainment of Pangai Junior was a smart call.

"It'll help the Panthers come into the finals pretty well refreshed and if they can pick up a damaging forward like Tevita Pangai Junior it just might be the difference between beating the Melbourne Storm and not beating the Melbourne Storm on grand final day," Gould said.

"Tevita may arrive at the Bulldogs as a premiership-winner come November, which would be a wonderful experience for him."

This definitely is the right way going about it !!!
But the challenge would be to move on the contracted players that aren't performing !!!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Really interesting to hear about Gus' squad valuation experiment. Get some to write down what they feel the market value of each player in a given squad is, and compare. If most people have your squad's market value at well below the cap, you have a problem and you need to do something about it. Seems obvious, but there is something about getting the decision makers to actually do the exercise that you can see would have an impact.
I literally did this with our team 48 hours ago placing Markst value on our players and whether they have provided +EV buy mods deleted it for some reason

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure he was talking specifically about whether a new player should be brought into the squad right now if available (that being TPG). Bring the new expensive forward into the fold at the same time as the other new signings, of which there are quite a few.
Possibly. But I agree there’s little point now.
With 13 still off contract there’s going to be more changes so a clean slate in November is the right approach. No point bringing a new player into a team that can barely remember how to win.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
gus is one of the best if not the best mind in the game. He will make some hard decisions and hopefully the best decisions. It is going to come down to the balance of the squad on who stays and who goes, he knows that better than anyone, some good times ahead

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a pyschological tactic and puts the onus on the players to pull their finger out and give their best. If some of the deadwood perform the club may think about renewing their contract at a discount rate.
If he says he's already made up his mind about all the players what motivation will they have to perform?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly. But I agree there’s little point now.
With 13 still off contract there’s going to be more changes so a clean slate in November is the right approach. No point bringing a new player into a team that can barely remember how to win.
Yes u r spot on,especially only limited time with some these players that are not going to be there next year,a pointless exercise.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I literally did this with our team 48 hours ago placing Markst value on our players and whether they have provided +EV buy mods deleted it for some reason
Didn't you also raise questions about our cap? I don't think that is the purpose of this exercise. This is about gathering opinions about market value (MV).

So, for example, it is widely reported that Napa is on about 600k a year. But most of us would probably place his MV at around 150k right now. MV is not about estimating where teams are with the cap, it is about estimating each squads current real value. Contracts are usually at least 2 years, many are 3 or more. But within that time a player's MV will shift around.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So true, it’s a marathon not a sprint. As if a few good games when nothing counts means anything. Lip service at best

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine Gus could trade Elliot to the raiders and we got Tapine.

There could be no Gus doubters left after that
I would expect water from wine next if he could pull off that miracle!!

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Listening and watching how he talks and the difference with what he did starting at the panthers, they were in a massive hole, financially and nearly kicked out of the comp, and he didn’t know what the roll was when he took over, here we are financially in a good place and have a salary cap he can work off, I also think during his time with this club he will want a premiership while he’s there, so he may go harder than he did at the panthers and feel a lot more free to do so!!
Need to start getting all the blue and whites to get there memberships in next yr people, let’s get support from everywhere for this club!!!!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Being at the level of Melbourne/Penrith is very much determined by how our new signings perform as well next year, but exciting times ahead. Next year we will have strikepower across the field and if they find their sync earlier than expected then we could give it a real shake up.

Still making the 8 next year would be an achievement in itself for 2022