Sio Siua Taukeiaho Signed

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Particularly when he admitted he was done with the NRL some months / year or so back. Body was no longer up to it. So what has changed in the meantime……$$$?
Things change though mate. Maybe he meant he was done for in the short term. Maybe he was thought he was but then realised his injury wasn't as serious as he first thought.
Considering all of this Gus and CC MAYBE thinking if we can get 15-20 games from him he would be a great mentor for Iverson Matalavea-Booth and the young forwards coming through. As reported he maybe getting paid overs- maybe that's why?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Things change though mate. Maybe he meant he was done for in the short term. Maybe he was thought he was but then realised his injury wasn't as serious as he first thought.
Considering all of this Gus and CC MAYBE thinking if we can get 15-20 games from him he would be a great mentor for Iverson Matalavea-Booth and the young forwards coming through. As reported he maybe getting paid overs- maybe that's why?
That's the only logical reason he was signed

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I mean that is a huge reason. You can see with Mann salmon critta xerri Curran Hutchinson Turpin they are all blokes that from my view appear to at worst be fucking very hard trainers. Many have points to prove. Critta obviously the exception. Sst like some of the above has played at elite level been involved at premierships, international and at worst busts his ass and training would be good compared to whinging about it being to tough. That with the fact we have fucj all props he’s a good shot for a role this year.

At best him he provides a lot more than what we have. Helps train the kids and change culture and maybe gets in some other ears (afb) at worst he’s a flop injured at half the price that Thompson was and probz a 2 year deal based on how things gone.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really hope I'm proven wrong
But seriously, looks like a huge risk to me.

At his age, surely he just using us for a ticket back to Australia and a top up on his duper fund.
It's a risk no doubt. He was very good in the NRL for a prolonged period though. Even his last year at the Roosters was solid. Hopefully if he's signed he can get back to that form but it's understandable to doubt whether he can after his injuries/comments and the wear and tear he's had on his body.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's the only logical reason he was signed
Not necessarily. Maybe Gus is confident he can be pretty well injury free. We all have to remember we aren't privy to his injury history nor do we know whether someone is capable of continuing there career.
I do think Gus though is using him as a mentor role. But maybe he thinks he can also play most of the season.
What I do like about the SST signing is he will show them total professionalism!

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't mind signing Taukeiaho but the salary mentioned is a worry as are his injuries/age/mileage.. But there's no way on earth we should be giving them any compensation to get him. Unless we can dump an unwanted player like RFM in the process..
Yeah but I think we can get the 200k veteran allowance for him so really would be like 300k towards the cap wouldn’t it?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah, it's an uncomfortable signing.
Just goes to show how desperate we are for forwards and how much of the bottom of the barrel we need to scrape just to create a forward pack.

I never thought I'd see the day when the dogs of war couldn't field a top line forward pack
Used to be our thang and what the club was built on.
Been chihuahuas instead for a few years :grinning:
Hoping we are building to the kind of super 2004 etc pack again but it's gonna take time and that's all about hard work and some wins to regain confidence, resilience and winner attitude.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A hefty transfer fee, figures numb skull. You are reading the papers and coming on here and stating as fact. The papers are wrong with every players contract. SST apparently signed for 500k than reported for 350k. Move the dart board closer next time you may hit the target .
Hahaha plz tell me the source of this mythical 350k numbskull

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hahaha plz tell me the source of this mythical 350k numbskull
It was reported other clubs offered SST 350k a year for 3 years, never us. I'm pretty sure that was made up from a user on here.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With our obvious weakness at prop, and with what is off contract for 2025, I'm hoping we go hard for Hamlin-Uele from the Sharks.

Big unit, aggressive, experienced, would be our alpha prop

IF.....AFB becomes available next year we have to go all out and virtually make him an offer he can't refuse. He is 27 years old and would be in my opinion worth offering a 5 year , $5 million deal....he is definitely in the top bracket of props with Hass, Tino and JFH

A front row of AFB and Hamlin-Uele sees us back in business...definite Top 8

Terrell May would be another target and with Patolo, King, Knight as well as plenty of others off contract at the end of 24 and with available salary cap I can't see why 2 if not all 3 would be possible

Hopefully Isaac Matava Booth will have had a solid year of football this year and will be starting to break through as well as other young guns Todd and Hipoi

This would then turn our prop weakness into a strength

I have a gut feeling we won't be spending big money on Luai or Deardon but rather wait for our next 7 to emerge from within. Gus has created a halfback academy within the club and from reports he is very hands on with it. He has been stacking the lower grades with possible future number 7's

We have Sexton, Hutchison and Taafe for the next 2 years and I wouldn't be surprised if the plan is to ride out the next 2 years with them at 7, and after that hopefully in 3 years time one of the youngsters eg. Woods or O'Neill etc are ready to step up. The perfect scenario would be that Burton by then has turned into the 5/8 we all know he can be and he will have the experience to help a young half step up

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mind signing Taukeiaho but the salary mentioned is a worry as are his injuries/age/mileage.. But there's no way on earth we should be giving them any compensation to get him. Unless we can dump an unwanted player like RFM in the process..
Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s a factor in it taking a while to close the deal. They might be seeing if they can do a swap for RFM or something.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We just have to hope he can get back to even 80% of his previous NRL quality but I don’t like the chances based on what people have said about his time in Super League. You never know though.
Mate I'm skeptical too, but hopeful nevertheless

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With this signing still to be confirmed, there's little point in worrying about what we're supposedly paying according to what a journo asked his magic 8 ball.

The club knows what they need. They know how much cap space they have. Their jobs rely on them not flushing money down the drain. In some cases they'll possibly overpay based on the laws of supply and demand. In this case I wonder if SST wanted badly to return to Aus where he's not continually having to look for subtitles because they're mostly speaking French. They might have gotten a bargain for him. The media have NFI.

If we get SST and he gives us 8 good games and is injured the rest of the season, so be it. If there were riper fruits falling off trees we'd be picking that up. If he's signed we'll just need to hope for the best from him.