Singing Anthum International Games.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is it only the optics on why people get upset from those not singing the anthem or is it the political statement by Aboriginal players? Many players have not sung the anthem for years. IMO, Australians historically have prided themselves on not being jingoistic patriots like the US. The crowd rarely sings at games. I don’t get the outrage TBH. I think a lot of the same people complaining voted No and ironically whinge about woke outrage culture.
I couldn't care less, a shy person won't sing especially in public, and shouldn't be bagged or branded unpatriotic..its a mood killer watching state of origin seeing them run out breathing fire and then oh lets have a sing along.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If we had any chance of being patriotic about out anthem, schools removed that. When you sing the anthem at school, there's no talk of pride in your country or anything like that. It's just, "murmur the words to this, don't worry about the 2nd verse, no one remembers that"

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe people would really comprehend how these people feel if they were actually in their shoes.

Say for example the original inhabitants of Britain made up a small minority of the population of England and the National Anthem had no representation of the Britons and was sung in Urdu.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
For me, free speech allows Cobbo the right to not sing it.
However I think just how ungrateful could he be?
Australia does so much for the Aboriginal population.
Aboriginal round. Welcome to country. Milllions and millions that are sunk in to the community and nothing in return. Aboriginal aid. Abstudy. Welfare bonuses. Even the premises of the yes/no vote shows the country is alway wanting to think of ways to help.
And he’s playing an English game.
I’m really sick of it.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
For me, free speech allows Cobbo the right to not sing it.
However I think just how ungrateful could he be?
Australia does so much for the Aboriginal population.
Aboriginal round. Welcome to country. Milllions and millions that are sunk in to the community and nothing in return. Aboriginal aid. Abstudy. Welfare bonuses. Even the premises of the yes/no vote shows the country is alway wanting to think of ways to help.
And he’s playing an English game.
I’m really sick of it.
1697449397950.gif

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meh... the anthem is uninspiring and the lyrics in no way identify with us as a people. It literally wastes the little time it has talking about recources and fucking geography.

I will sing it in respect, but we can do much better. I think I've brought it up before, but "I am Australian" from The Seekers is something I'll proudly sing anytime and identifies with the actual people that make it the best country.
Adam Hill's version livens it up.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The Australian anthem and we are Australian is high uninspiring.
Neither have visions of conquest or fighting or dominance to get passion flowing. It’s all hippie shit.
Compare to a real anthem:
343EA4EB-DD79-4970-A52F-FADDF6E3634F.jpeg

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You vill sink ze anthum in ze name of freedom, or you vill pay ze consequences, yah?