Singing Anthum International Games.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's come up in the media and it's tge off season
This type of things gets great discussion on the Kennel.

I want to discuss specifically players singing the national anthem before international rugby league games.

Not state of origin
Specifically when representing your nation.

The Samoans were very proud and emotional when singing their anthem.
It was really great to see.

Many of our Australian players also were seen singing our anthem.
I point out big Tino seemed to be singing it with bit more effort than most who were just mumbling it by the looks haha.
And then there was Selwyn Cobbo staunch faced not singing at all tight lipped.

Now, it's no secrete why he wasn't singing it.

My question is based on the story in the paper where it's been proposed if you are representing Australia you need to sing the Anthum.

There is a lot of discussion points in this.

Love the kennel to express their views.

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can see both sides of the coin here. For some the genocide will never be forgotten..and rightly so.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Won’t sing the national anthem but happy enough to take all the other benefits that come with living in a great country like Australia. If these people continue to play the victim card for something that happened generations ago then they won’t move forward as a people.
If you’re not proud to wear the green and gold and sing the national anthem that represents all Australians then fuck off to the Koori Knock Out.. fuckin sooks.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love the anthems, but wish it was before players ran out. They ran out of sheds all pumped up and then have to go through anthems.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it only the optics on why people get upset from those not singing the anthem or is it the political statement by Aboriginal players? Many players have not sung the anthem for years. IMO, Australians historically have prided themselves on not being jingoistic patriots like the US. The crowd rarely sings at games. I don’t get the outrage TBH. I think a lot of the same people complaining voted No and ironically whinge about woke outrage culture.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
or is it the political statement by Aboriginal players? Many players have not sung the anthem for years. IMO, Australians historically have prided themselves on not being jingoistic patriots like the US. The crowd rarely sings at games. I don’t get the outrage TBH. I think a lot of the same people complaining voted No and ironically whinge about woke outrage culture.
Payne Haas & Staggs never sang it as well. Unless they were in solidarity with their Australian team mates. (Cobbo & Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow)

I don't see the point of singing the national anthem every single game.

Edit: Typos.

Last edited:

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
If you don’t it’s up to you but it makes for a better atmosphere. And you are only playing footy. Just sing Dickhead.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meh... the anthem is uninspiring and the lyrics in no way identify with us as a people. It literally wastes the little time it has talking about recources and fucking geography.

I will sing it in respect, but we can do much better. I think I've brought it up before, but "I am Australian" from The Seekers is something I'll proudly sing anytime and identifies with the actual people that make it the best country.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Meh... the anthem is uninspiring and the lyrics in no way identify with us as a people. It literally wastes the little time it has talking about recources and fucking geography.

I will sing it in respect, but we can do much better. I think I've brought it up before, but "I am Australian" from The Seekers is something I'll proudly sing anytime and identifies with the actual people that make it the best country.
For me New Zealand have the best Anthem I don’t actually pretend to know any of the words but it’s powerful that kids know and have been taught to sing the Māori verse.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
this gets brought up so often over and over, each to their own i suppose, me personally id like to see every player singing proudly but it doesnt worry me if they do or dont, if im asked to stand for the national anthem i always will stand and sing quietly to myself i dont care what the person beside me

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
this gets brought up so often over and over, each to their own i suppose, me personally id like to see every player singing proudly but it doesnt worry me if they do or dont, if im asked to stand for the national anthem i always will stand and sing quietly to myself i dont care what the person beside me
Same.
If players dont want to sing it thats their right.
Its unfortunate but its just the way it is and will probably never change.
Personally I love it on the world stage during the Olympics, Soccer etc, sometimes brings a tear to my eye.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Poms sang Jerusalem at the ESL GF and they tend to favour I vow to thee my country at big union games. I am fine with the national anthem being sung at internationals, but it is totally inappropriate at all-Australian events like the GF and SOO. When the anthem is played at the wrong time, it cheapens it.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me New Zealand have the best Anthem I don’t actually pretend to know any of the words but it’s powerful that kids know and have been taught to sing the Māori verse.
Agree, I also reckon the South Africa Anthem during springboks games is beautiful to listen too. All the players really get into it.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep I love NZ’s anthem recognising the Maori’s language. Be great if we could include Indigenous Australians as well each time it’s sung, there is just so many dialects. However, it has been performed at a sporting event..Wallabies vs Argentina 15/12/2020 Western Sydney Stadium. The Indigenous language was the Eora language. To their credit the Aussie players know the lyrics..

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does that mean it's OK for people to ignore and not acknowledge any of this welcome to country ceremonies, or any other ceremonies that are not part of my cultural heritage?
Gotta admit I had so much respect for Justin hodges when he said he didn't agree with the anthem but sung it out of respect for people that died defending this country...
I personally don't have an interest in 'welcome to country' but follow Justin's lead and show respect and acknowledgment ....

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By the way, noticed Staggs won't sing the anthem but had no trouble performing in the Tonga haka vs new z last year.....
A country he's prob spent no more than 2-3 days in his entire life....
Yep.... That'll do me