Sharks vs dogs trial

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new era starts now !
Let's hope Baz knows a first grader from a reserve grader and chooses the right players. Cook showed more awareness and skill in 40 min than JMK ever has and we finally have a rookie in Casey who knows how to defend positionally and hit hard as well. King is a big strong unit and has to be in our top 17. I think Thompson is not big enough for prop and should be in the 2nd row where his good leg speed and strength can power over smaller opposition away from the middle. He can rotate with Hetherington as it's too risky penalty wise to have both of them on the field at the same time.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's hope Baz knows a first grader from a reserve grader and chooses the right players. Cook showed more awareness and skill in 40 min than JMK ever has and we finally have a rookie in Casey who knows how to defend positionally and hit hard as well. King is a big strong unit and has to be in our top 17. I think Thompson is not big enough for prop and should be in the 2nd row where his good leg speed and strength can power over smaller opposition away from the middle. He can rotate with Hetherington as it's too risky penalty wise to have both of them on the field at the same time.
I am so disappointed, I was hoping Thompson would another Bupa,
He turned out to be a Powder Puff Prop :fearscream:

Reactions: ATT

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am so disappointed, I was hoping Thompson would another Bupa,
He turned out to be a Powder Puff Prop :fearscream:
He's only 102 kg and 6 foot tall so he's barely bigger than Schoupp. He looked good in uk super league where defence is not NRL standard and he made busts out wider with his pace. I don't know why Baz puts him in the front row when he doesn't have the size.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flegg trial against sharkies thtee good tries in first fifteen minutes. One off a Rajab pass one off a kick from other half ( forgotten name ) all scored scored by Eli Clarke.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's only 102 kg and 6 foot tall so he's barely bigger than Schoupp. He looked good in uk super league where defence is not NRL standard and he made busts out wider with his pace. I don't know why Baz puts him in the front row when he doesn't have the size.
Totally agree mate, some of us have been saying that he shoild be playing on the edge ever since he came to the club.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats rubbish, cleary plays both sides so does DCE, the good halves can do it.
That's because Cleary and DCE both have ball playing number 13's to free them up.

It's why we signed John Asiata.

Not all teams have the luxury of a third point of attack, hence the 6 and 7 predominately stick to their structured sides.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's because Cleary and DCE both have ball playing number 13's to free them up.

Not all teams have the luxury of a third point of attack, hence the 6 and 7 predominately stick to their structured sides.
Jackson was never moving from lock even with Asiata signing.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Flegg trial against sharkies thtee good tries in first fifteen minutes. One off a Rajab pass one off a kick from other half ( forgotten name ) all scored scored by Eli Clarke.
thanks for updates like hearing about what’s coming through. Hopefully you can stay to end and give us a further run down on who played well etc

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for updates like hearing about what’s coming through. Hopefully you can stay to end and give us a further run down on who played well etc
Didnt stay for all the game - left early second half - Doggies starting middles dominated and the halves stepped up. Pretty even after the starting props went off. Rajab did get an arm injury - dont know how bad - stayed on field though.
Sharkies had basically two full squads - Dogs only used 18.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have been saying this for a long time and got rubbished for it by some people who didnt know better.
He was always rostered as a prop in the UK, but he never played the traditional props game.
His skill with the ball and his great running is dented by having him play prop.
I hope Patolo steps up and Thompson can play in his best position.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been saying this for a long time and got rubbished for it by some people who didnt know better.
He was always rostered as a prop in the UK, but he never played the traditional props game.
His skill with the ball and his great running is dented by having him play prop.
I hope Patolo steps up and Thompson can play in his best position.
The prop rotation should be Vaughan, TPJ, Ava and Patolo.
2nd row/lock rotation should be Heth, Jackson, King and Thompson

alic

Kennel Established
Reaction score

These days you will find clubs without ball playing locks will have ball playing fullbacks .
So the dogs play a 3 half system if you notice Jake usually is running the middle third role and will be first receiver for majority of plays unless it’s a short side run .

so we go Burton left edge Averillo middle third and Dufty right edge .
Basically Dufty will be camped on the right edge when it comes to good ball attack .

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I honestly think we should have our rd 1 lineup play against the sharks.

Waste of a trial if we don't tbh
These days with the new rules trials are just another chance to get injured imo. I think they should mostly use trials to sort out our depth. This year maybe to sort out who starts at half as well.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
These days with the new rules trials are just another chance to get injured imo. I think they should mostly use trials to sort out our depth. This year maybe to sort out who starts at half as well.
You think Burton will play the full game, or half?

We need to see who plays best next to him but like you said, we can't afford injuries.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You think Burton will play the full game, or half?

We need to see who plays best next to him but like you said, we can't afford injuries.
The other school of thought is he could be injured 1st tackle in round 1, so i suppose does it really matter when we desperately need to see where we are at as a team? I think Barrett will be looking for any victorys and positive signs because his job bloddy depends on it.

I know I have been vocal about not being on the Barrett bus but time for excuses is now over, its not Andesons, Salary Cap, the board, the CEO, Dean Pay, Des Hasler, or lack of quality in squad anymore. All the ingredients are there its now up to him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
These days you will find clubs without ball playing locks will have ball playing fullbacks .
So the dogs play a 3 half system if you notice Jake usually is running the middle third role and will be first receiver for majority of plays unless it’s a short side run .

so we go Burton left edge Averillo middle third and Dufty right edge .
Basically Dufty will be camped on the right edge when it comes to good ball attack .
That's the plan but our execution it still really poor if we're going off the trial. Passing from dh is a big issue as it isn't fast enough or accurate enough and we're almost always receiving the ball flat footed with the inside defenders up in our face. It only then gets worse when we do have a forward step in at first receiver.

If Jake's going to be halfback then he needs to be running onto the ball, playing direct and reacting off that. He isn't a scheming ballplayer, he's an athlete and the threat comes from him when he's running at the defence and forcing them into making a decision. It could be as simple as him just preventing the defence from sliding and creating that extra time and space for our more creative ball players outside him to work with.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Jake's going to be halfback then he needs to be running onto the ball, playing direct and reacting off that. He isn't a scheming ballplayer, he's an athlete and the threat comes from him when he's running at the defence and forcing them into making a decision. It could be as simple as him just preventing the defence from sliding and creating that extra time and space for our more creative ball players outside him to work with.
This is exactly why Jake is a 5/8 or a fullback/centre and will never nail the 7 spot.