Sharks vs dogs trial

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah I think Moylan still has something to offer at 6 but I just dont see Hynes as a 7.

They are like us. 2 five eighths in the halves.

I am actually just listening to the Matty Johns podcast and joey was talking about our trial last week. Said we looked really strong but like everyone he is worried about our halfback. He rates Averillo but not as a halfback. Said its a position you need to play your whole life. He said even though Flanno has "limitations" he still thinks he is the best fit because we have strike everywhere and dont necessarily need a strike halfback. We just need someone to steer us around the park.

Also said some of our last tackle options were very ordinary last week. Used the old Warren Ryan quote "A good kick can save a bad set. A bad kick can ruin a good set". The problem with Flanno though is that his last tackle kicks were terrible in 2021 and thats what people like Joey dont really remember (we all do). Thats one of the main reasons he lost his spot. Jake's last tackle kicks are ordinary but so were Flanno's.
In theory if Flanagan could steer us around, do the basics to an average level (his kicking game and passing options weren't good) and cut out some errors he'd be a good option (I was happy when we signed him). I'm just not confident that he can from what I saw last year (and his development has gone backwards). I don't think he's a player with a lot of talent individually either for him to build confidence from. I think both Averillo and BBO as players need to be in the team too. If Flanagan can show anything in reserve grade maybe he gets another chance. I remember Cronk saying previously if a half can get their running game right and defend well everything will flow off the back of that but both are an issue for him, especially running.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely they have all trained along side him, so Barrett should know which one is the better fit.
He shouldnt need another 20 mins to see who fits. He has made his mind up by now you would think but it doesnt look like going to plan. Avacado and others are on notice.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You very well know the uncertainty surrounding the 7 is the biggest problem TBaz is facing, without directing any criticism at him, would a much more experienced coach have already figured out who is going to be ?
Who knows, he might already know but not letting on !
He has already decided though, fans just don't agree with his decision.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fark! Baz picking Okunbor again in the full strength team confirms that oku is locked in for round 1. Sigh...

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fark! Baz picking Okunbor again in the full strength team confirms that oku is locked in for round 1. Sigh...
His fkn shite I didn’t even watch the trial based of last year his below average. Burns for me is a better option was decent at south’s

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lumelume and Allan are unavailable so don't neck up just yet Moe?! Hopefully a change for Rd 1 unless he turns around the first game form, though not a LOT of options really..
We had a very good(albeit very pricey)winger "nah dont need the ****" was the cry all of a sudden its a big problem.. #missyouNic :tongueclosed:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The modern game needs a left and right side half. There is no place for the old game set up with the 7 being the dominant half.
The game has evolved. Burton will be the dominant player whichever side he plays on.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yea and I keep hoping he comes good. A unit his size is what we need out wide. Back to the halves, Barrett should know what to look for considering he was one. But your right, he looks to have no clue.
just because our halves don’t have the talent it doesn’t mean barett has no clue.

he had a clue to sign Burton while Cleary the premiership winning coach chose Jerome.

Reactions: J_B

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They lost no one that they wanted to keep. Hynes is an upgrade on Johnson. Finucane and McInnes are great buys. Halves will be Moylan and Hynes. Trindall not a starter. Brailey still shits on someone like JMK for e.g. Roosters have Verrills at hooker and most people have them coming top 3. The Sharks top 17 roster on paper is VERY nice (seriously... Kennedy, Mulitalo, Tracey, Ramien, Katoa, Moylan, Hynes, Finucane, Brailey, Rudolf, Graham, Nikora, McInnes, Trindall, BHU, Fifita, Talakai...). They've pretty much been top 8 gatekeepers the last few years and they've strengthened roster and coaching wise.
You really think Hynes is an upgrade on Johnson? I feel like he's the typical player who will struggle outside of the Storm system. I don't see too much in him. I've been wrong plenty of times though

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The modern game needs a left and right side half. There is no place for the old game set up with the 7 being the dominant half.
The game has evolved. Burton will be the dominant player whichever side he plays on.
I've said before, I have no problems having 2 five eights Burton and Averillo in if we have an organising hooker in the team, maybe Cook certainly not JMK.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My hope for the doggies spine is that the forwards do their job provide go forward and quick play the balls. Let the halves play from that. If a team is well coached and everyone is doing their jobs the halves don't have to worry about organising.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said before, I have no problems having 2 five eights Burton and Averillo in if we have an organising hooker in the team, maybe Cook certainly not JMK.
There’s already too much pressure on Burton to be the organiser and primary playmaker and kicker. Barrett needs to find him the perfect 7 to take a bit of pressure off him. He can’t do it all on his own. Burton is probably one of the best players we will see in a bulldogs jersey. The last thing we want to do is turn him off the place cause he has no support.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There’s already too much pressure on Burton to be the organiser and primary playmaker and kicker. Barrett needs to find him the perfect 7 to take a bit of pressure off him. He can’t do it all on his own. Burton is probably one of the best players we will see in a bulldogs jersey. The last thing we want to do is turn him off the place cause he has no support.
I agree, but unless by a miracle one of the halves rises to the challenge the only way we can play Averillo at 7 is by having an organizing hooker.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
all the talk of averillo will be better with burton playing should be decided within 20-30 min mark if he isn’t clicking he should be hooked for good. He has had way to many chances to prove him self in the team. Barrett needs to open his bloody eyes and see it how it is. 15 other teams know we have nothing on last tackle if averillo has the ball in hand

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I think Moylan still has something to offer at 6 but I just dont see Hynes as a 7.

They are like us. 2 five eighths in the halves.

I am actually just listening to the Matty Johns podcast and joey was talking about our trial last week. Said we looked really strong but like everyone he is worried about our halfback. He rates Averillo but not as a halfback. Said its a position you need to play your whole life. He said even though Flanno has "limitations" he still thinks he is the best fit because we have strike everywhere and dont necessarily need a strike halfback. We just need someone to steer us around the park.

Also said some of our last tackle options were very ordinary last week. Used the old Warren Ryan quote "A good kick can save a bad set. A bad kick can ruin a good set". The problem with Flanno though is that his last tackle kicks were terrible in 2021 and thats what people like Joey dont really remember (we all do). Thats one of the main reasons he lost his spot. Jake's last tackle kicks are ordinary but so were Flanno's.
IMHO to steer the team around a half needs to have a good kicking game, and on 2021 form I thought that Averillo was slightly better than Flanagan in that department. Which of the 2 is picked will be a worry, our saviour in that department might be Burton.
A good coach might be able to work out a way to use Averillo's running game to best complement Burton.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They were playing way too flat they need to be deeper to give them more time.
Im hoping Gus has a whisper in Trents ear and tweaks a few things.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
all the talk of averillo will be better with burton playing should be decided within 20-30 min mark if he isn’t clicking he should be hooked for good. He has had way to many chances to prove him self in the team. Barrett needs to open his bloody eyes and see it how it is. 15 other teams know we have nothing on last tackle if averillo has the ball in hand
Invested the whole off season in him just to give him half a game…. Nah.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Want a funny stat? Last season Jake forced as many dropouts as Adam Reynolds, had 3 less kick errors, kicked the ball dead 4 less times and had 12 less attacking kicks.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will be camped on a potent left edge which should be seeing plenty of ball.