News Shane Flanagan puts his hand up to lead the basket case Bulldogs

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope you're right. But I think that should be part of the deal. You can coach but your son won't be at the club. It creates unwanted distractions and storylines and avoids any conflict of interests.
If Kyle was wrapped up in a long term contract than I would agree with you. But Kyle only has one year to go on his contract, which would co-incide with Shane's hypothetical first year. Basically it would give Shane & Kyle 1 year to make it work and if it doesn't than I am sure the club would have no hesitation in not renewing Kyle's contract. There are positives out of this situation; it creates a do or die situation for Kyle.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Couldn't see the link earlier but for those who want a listen here is the link.
Shane is talking very candidly, seems as like a handshake had definitely been done.
Using terms in the media at the moment like DNA (how he would get it back) etc and also when he talked
about the Tigers game on Friday just seemed as if hes going to coach them very shortly lol.
What are we waiting for, he's literally the only option...

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE
Shane Flanagan has opened up on coaching the Bulldogs... and what he would fix

NRL premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan has told the Fox League Podcast that he wants the vacant Canterbury Bulldogs job.

Flanagan last coached Cronulla in 2018 and has been linked to the Dogs since Trent Barrett fell on his sword last Monday.

Canterbury have appointed Mick Potter as their interim for the remainder of the season, and they’re expected to sign their 2023 coach in the next fortnight.

Flanagan, who spent eight seasons at the Sharks and has been a Blues and Kangaroos assistant, told the Fox League Podcast he still has the fire in the belly to be a head coach.

“There’s only 16 jobs in the competition and some of those are definitely going to be out of the reach of me so I’ve got to look at what’s available. The Bulldogs job is available,” Flanagan said.

“They know I’m out there. I’m sure Gus or whoever is in charge of that responsibility, if they’re interested come and give me a ring over the next couple of weeks and we’ll go from there, but at the moment I’ll just sit back.”

Flanagan copped a two-year ban from head coaching at the end of 2018 after the NRL found he’d breached the terms of his 2014 ban following the supplements scandal.

The 56-year-old was an assistant to then-Dragons coach Paul McGregor in 2020, and he rejoined the club this year as their recruitment manager.

“I’m enjoying my role at the Dragons, it’s been fantastic and part of my family don’t want me to change what I’m doing at the moment,” Flanagan said.

“I go home every afternoon stress free and go to work most days enjoying it totally. Part of me thinks of them but I’ve got some unfinished business in the coaching business.

“I’d like to do it but if they’ve got another agenda I just get on with life.”

The Bulldogs won the wooden spoon last season and are last on the ladder after 11 rounds.

But they have big-man recruits Reed Mahoney and Viliame Kikau joining the club next season and Flanagan said he’s attracted to the job because the club oozes potential.

“(It’s) where they could be, I think obviously a club down at the bottom of the competition, there’s a lot of things that could be fixed up and I’m not saying that Trent did a bad job at all, it’s just the situation he was in, they weren’t winning,” Flanagan said.

“When I first went to the Sharks, the Sharks needed to decide what sort of DNA they wanted to be and obviously back then our DNA was revolved around the type of players I had in my squad.

The captain and the leader in that club was Paul Gallen, his leadership and his DNA rubbed through onto the club and I was lucky to get Mick Ennis and James Maloney and Wade Graham and then we discovered our DNA and we measured it.

“We measured it weekly, what are we, we knew what we had to per game to live up to our DNA and that’s measurable.

“You can’t just say we’re going to be a tough team, or we’re going to be a good team, you need things you can measure in a game whether that’s offensively or defensively.”

Flanagan also discussed on the podcast his son and Bulldogs halfback Kyle, and the lessons he’s learned along his coaching journey.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get him in there now so he can start mulling over what he wants to do.
No shit bro. That’s why I’m not happy with potter. Gus should have Bought Flanno Straight in and let him sort through what we wants, and experiment etc, would have given us the upper hand next year. I don’t get it !! Ridiculous decision letting potter take over for the remainder.!!

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No shit bro. That’s why I’m not happy with potter. Gus should have Bought Flanno Straight in and let him sort through what we wants, and experiment etc, would have given us the upper hand next year. I don’t get it !! Ridiculous decision letting potter take over for the remainder.!!
This year's a right off so I get the interim coach, saying that get Flanno in now so he can observe without input and get half a year advantage.

He wants the job and is the best person for it, if we miss the chance plenty of people will have the shits.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan has done two press runs and his son has also been quoted

Gus might look at it as desperate and hire someone else (Freddy or Green)

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
then flannigan isnt the obvious coach or flannigan said no to the idea and wants to start fresh at pre season, have you thought of that scooby doo

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just listened to that podcast and he is the obvious candidate. But I just get a feeling he won’t get it.

Gus rarely makes a decision that people see coming. Sacking Cleary was unexpected. Hiring Griffith was unexpected. Sacking Griffith was unexpected, etc , etc

No inside info whatsoever but I reckon our next coach will be someone not even mentioned as a candidate.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
You have to remember Flanagan has other commitments, he would also need time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Flanagan wants this job he'd be wise to shut the fuck up about it for two seconds. The more he campaigns for it or gets the Fox crew to lobby for him, the more likely he is to talk himself out of the job.

And if it is essentially already his, I doubt Gus, Khoury and the board would appreciate him being in the press so much talking about the role before it's been confirmed.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Flanagan wants this job he'd be wise to shut the fuck up about it for two seconds. The more he campaigns for it or gets the Fox crew to lobby for him, the more likely he is to talk himself out of the job.

And if it is essentially already his, I doubt Gus, Khoury and the board would appreciate him being in the press so much talking about the role before it's been confirmed.
My thoughts exactly plus he’s responding to random people on IG

Screams desperate

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly plus he’s responding to random people on IG

Screams desperate
Exactly. He's the most qualified coach, so he should let his resume speak for itself and stay silent til it's announced. I can't see how constantly commenting about it for weeks on end does him any favours.

One of my concerns about Flanagan was his ego maybe clashing with Gus'. If Flanagan can't control himself before he's got the job, how much of problem will it be if and when he does get the job?