Say goodbye to the Upset

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nrl has sadly become way too predictable and you can say Goodbye to the upset in the game.... looks like the same hand full of teams will always be on the top and the rest fighting for crumbs, the way the game is played nowadays.
The gap between the top and the bottom is fucking disgusting, Putrid.
It’s touch football now,it’s what the nrl wanted.blow out scores.the arm wrestle is gone.miss the 90s footy was still tough but it was a competition.nowadays Ref blows six again and defences are shot.not to mention the injuries with how fast the game is now.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s touch football now,it’s what the nrl wanted.blow out scores.the arm wrestle is gone.miss the 90s footy was still tough but it was a competition.nowadays Ref blows six again and defences are shot.not to mention the injuries with how fast the game is now.
I feel like coaches should come out and speak out against this

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely mate. The 6 again has changed the game too much, and given referees too much influence. I’m bitter we are shite, but anyone who has watched the game over any length of time can see it’s crap now. Glorified touch football
Mate agree 200%,ive really switched off this year,apart from watching the dogs,the rest of the games,are all the same,it’s like rewind and play,it’s become such a bore,this 6 again for me has ruined the game and given the referees more influence than they already had.

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny how the week after the media and public start highlighting the one sided blowouts we see 3 upsets this round

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The six again isn't ruining our play , it's the lack of hard hitting forwards..softest forward pack in history. There's also a lot of dumb looks .. they need to buy proper forwards .. men should be playing not school kids or reformed shitheads like napa.. Napa needs to go
Agree, six again is a good concept, the game is rolling, great spectacle, definitely not the reason we are 0-5. We saw what a difference one hard man joining the team did for us with Thompson’s return, imagine we had 3 or 4 of the same.... 2022 can’t come quick enough

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
To be fair I remember a few years ago refs were trying their best to ensure penalty counts were fairly even and I hated that, bad teams would often be reffed back into a game and often it was against us. I'd rather the scoreline reflect the actual game, if one team is much better than the other so be it.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Last night we already saw Melbourne starting to manipulate the rule by holding on even longer in the ruck the tackle after the set restart is given.

They have realised that giving one extra tackle to ensure their line is set for the rest of the set is more important and they have slowed the offensive team down... NRL is a joke, rule is a joke..

They should have just kept the system but implemented a 5min sin bin for constant offending.
Agreed Klil......Storm players consistently held players down for extended time......result; No penalty/No 6 again. Dogs hold someone down and 6 again straight away. I was surprised none the less that the Doggies won the penalty count 5/2, which is the first game this year that we have won the penalty count. Not that these matter so much these days as the total count is often less than 10 penalties in the game.....it is the 6 again that kills us (or at least the referees interpretations of the rule)

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, six again is a good concept, the game is rolling, great spectacle, definitely not the reason we are 0-5. We saw what a difference one hard man joining the team did for us with Thompson’s return, imagine we had 3 or 4 of the same.... 2022 can’t come quick enough
A formidable forward pack has always been the crucial ingredient for any successful NRL team...it's like cooking a Bolognese sauce with cream and not tomatoes . Our forwards are young and strong but lack aggression , ball handling and are further hindered by the choir boy ideology our club instills in them . They know they're not going to cop a spray like Graham would do for f'ing up . I miss the days when our forwards would come on and destroy the first player who touched the ball from kick off...

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the 6 again rule, there is definitely more injuries as a result of it, which in turn affects the weaker teams more than the stronger teams who have much more depth in their squad. Also if you haven't got a few superstars in your team you will struggle much more than before, an average footballer can handle a superstars much better before becoming fatigued hence the score blow outs towards the end of games, (no use blaming it on the players lack of fitness).
My theory is that the NRL wants to reduce the number of teams with 4, 5, max 6 teams in Sydney, I'm sure that this is what Politis wants, and if he isn't already he will make V'Landys his puppet.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And then comes the sh!t fight.... who goes and who stays. Is V'Landys prepared to lose a bucketload of supporters from Sydney if he takes that route. The fact is no team wants to relocate, merge or dissolve.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't like the 6 again rule, there is definitely more injuries as a result of it, which in turn affects the weaker teams more than the stronger teams who have much more depth in their squad. Also if you haven't got a few superstars in your team you will struggle much more than before, an average footballer can handle a superstars much better before becoming fatigued hence the score blow outs towards the end of games, (no use blaming it on the players lack of fitness).
My theory is that the NRL wants to reduce the number of teams with 4, 5, max 6 teams in Sydney, I'm sure that this is what Politis wants, and if he isn't already he will make V'Landys his puppet.
Interesting you could be right

Malla

Reaction score
Since this thread was created there were literally 2 upsets in one day lol

Fuck off back to your couch

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Since this thread was created there were literally 2 upsets in one day lol

Fuck off back to your couch
And there will be some more upsets this season, because weaker teams will make some adjustments and sometimes have a good day, and stronger teams will sometimes have a bad day.

None of that overturns the core observations in this thread.

And in terms of upsets, the three being referred to are hardly mind blowing.

Malla

Reaction score
And there will be some more upsets this season, because weaker teams will make some adjustments and sometimes have a good day, and stronger teams will sometimes have a bad day.

None of that overturns the core observations in this thread.

And in terms of upsets, the three being referred to are hardly mind blowing.
The core observations of this thread is that upsets don't happen anymore because of new rules.

That is completely wrong.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The core observations of this thread is that upsets don't happen anymore because of new rules.

That is completely wrong.
I see the reference to "upset" as being more the headline than the core observation. The headline is technically incorrect, and headlines usually are. Expressing things in black and white terms rarely works well, but again, that is how headlines roll. The core observation has to do with the rule changes and their effects. A more accurate description of an outcome of that core observation is that there is less likelihood of an upset than previous to the rule changes. This doesn't sound as clear and hard hitting, but it is more accurate.

The increasing numbers of extreme odds that are showing up in the betting markets support this observation.

Malla

Reaction score
I see the reference to "upset" as being more the headline than the core observation. The headline is technically incorrect, and headlines usually are. Expressing things in black and white terms rarely works well, but again, that is how headlines roll. The core observation has to do with the rule changes and their effects. A more accurate description of an outcome of that core observation is that there is less likelihood of an upset than previous to the rule changes. This doesn't sound as clear and hard hitting, but it is more accurate.

The increasing numbers of extreme odds that are showing up in the betting markets support this observation.
You are reading into it way too much man

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You are reading into it way too much man
Maybe, although the majority of the posts in this thread address the 6 again in some way (against it, indifferent, pointing to other possible issues, etc), so it seems like most recognise the 6 again as the core topic for discussion.