• Replace Tbaz with another coach at the end of the season

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • Replace Tbaz with Flanagan at the end of the season

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des destroyed us , he came to us i think 2012 were he inherited a great roster because of Moore , thats when we were at our best slowly we lost valuable players and started the downward spiral.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Whatever anyone’s feelings on Trent he will retain the clipboard for at least the start of 2022, so it’s a somewhat pointless debate at this time.

Whilst we still have a couple of key puzzle pieces to solve (9, 7), the 2022 squad looks significantly stronger than the current lot who have been very disappointing.

I’m willing to give Baz until Round 10 2022. If we have not shown significant improvement and are 3/7 instead of 7/3 (or similar) to start the year, the hangman’s noose will appear and you’ll get no argument from me then. Then the ‘Told ya!’ posts can begin :-).

In the meantime, roll on 1 November and a new pre-season with a clean slate.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Then the ‘Told ya!’ posts can begin :-).
Who gives a fuck about that... I would have thought the addition of another year or 2 of "rebuilding" and being miserable every weekend was more important.? You said the same thing about Pay mate, and then panic set in with the club administration and we knee jerk reaction employed the bozo you now want to give another season to wreck...

No Skelator..? Oh ok, you have spoken to Gould and Bennett about that...

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck about that... I would have thought the addition of another year or 2 of "rebuilding" and being miserable every weekend was more important.? You said the same thing about Pay mate, and then panic set in with the club administration and we knee jerk reaction employed the bozo you now want to give another season to wreck...

No Skelator..? Oh ok, you have spoken to Gould and Bennett about that...
And good morning to you too Baz :-).

What knee jerk reaction are you referring to?

As the results continued to go against Pay he was told the club would have to consider other coaches for 2021. He walked, as did Antonelli - hence Georgalis. He was off contract anyway. It wasn’t knee jerk at all. Was Barrett the wrong decision? Our results this year suggest yes but I don’t believe it’s the sole reason, no.

Regardless the club is not going to sack a coach after one year with two years remaining on his contract and I do know that with authority. Imagine what message that sends to prospective future coaches.

Skeletor has publicly said he’s moving back to Brisbane for family reasons. If that wasn’t true or has changed for whatever reason ie: the Ponies will support Walters for 2022 or the second Brisbane team is delayed beyond 2023 then maybe he stays in Sydney but I strongly doubt it’s at Belmore. Brad Arthur or Madge might have something to worry about there, but not Barrett - at least for the start of 2022.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And good morning to you too Baz :-).

What knee jerk reaction are you referring to?

As the results continued to go against Pay he was told the club would have to consider other coaches for 2021. He walked, as did Antonelli - hence Georgalis. He was off contract anyway. It wasn’t knee jerk at all. Was Barrett the wrong decision? Our results this year suggest yes but I don’t believe it’s the sole reason, no.

Regardless the club is not going to sack a coach after one year with two years remaining on his contract and I do know that with authority. Imagine what message that sends to prospective future coaches.

Skeletor has publicly said he’s moving back to Brisbane for family reasons. If that wasn’t true or has changed for whatever reason ie: the Ponies will support Walters for 2022 or the second Brisbane team is delayed beyond 2023 then maybe he stays in Sydney but I strongly doubt it’s at Belmore. Brad Arthur or Madge might have something to worry about there, but not Barrett - at least for the start of 2022.
Good morning to you as well mate :tearsofjoy: please excuse my aggressive greetings I am afflicted with a rare but treatable disease called pharkinbarrettitis which has symptoms similar to roid rage and chronic diarrhea...

However I digress, you know that I also know exactly the time frames of Pays demise and also Barrett's hiring along with the changes to both boards in the middle of it, we discussed all of it many times.

I am sure you recall me suggesting to you many times that time was of the essence and if we don't act we will miss out on the right coach. By the time the mob that was in charge at the time acted we had already wasted another season, missed on some good coaches and players that signed elsewhere. And then, out of literally nowhere we signed a failed FG coach who had 1 year as a assistant coach at Penrith but was somehow now the "attack God"...

Wayne Bennett said he was going home for family reasons because he was going to be involved with the second Brisbane team, but that's now not an option. I think Wayne would go back to his 1st wife before going to the mental asylum that is The Tigers and Parra have not recruited the players in the spine that can win a comp.

On the other hand we have recruited one of the fastest in the game in JAC, potentially a Freddy/Lockyer at 5/8 in Burton + Naden, TPJ, Vaughn, Thompson etc. and have BBO, Avo, Topine.... and have plenty of negotiating ability with players off contract this year and next.

He has already agreed with Gus once so the idea is not new to him and we are assembling a team of fairly big hitters in Khoury/Gould/Laundy/Hansen so I am sure somebody like Bennett who has the best man on man people skills in the game could squeeze the best out of the group and also attract a couple of players as well who could also see a premiership window..

Last edited:

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am sure you recall me suggesting to you many times that time was of the essence and if we don't act we will miss out on the right coach. By the time the mob that was in charge at the time acted we had already wasted another season, missed on some good coaches and players that signed elsewhere. And then, out of literally nowhere we signed a failed FG coach who had 1 year as a assistant coach at Penrith but was somehow now the "attack God".....
This is gold.

Yes, time IS of the essence.

We must learn from our mistakes and employ the right people for our club.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine if the Anderson’s were here (whom appointed Baz in the first place). Man, we’d probably get kicked out of the comp. Hell or high water would come before they asked Gould for help. I guess we can be thankful for that. Anyway, Barrett was terrible at Manly and had some pathetic excuses so I was never a fan. I remember thinking we was absolutely atrocious at Manly. Toovey would have been a much better option for them and is possibly one of the most hard done by coach’s of all time.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine if the Anderson’s were here (whom appointed Baz in the first place). Man, we’d probably get kicked out of the comp. Hell or high water would come before they asked Gould for help. I guess we can be thankful for that. Anyway, Barrett was terrible at Manly and had some pathetic excuses so I was never a fan. I remember thinking we was absolutely atrocious at Manly. Toovey would have been a much better option for them and is possibly one of the most hard done by coach’s of all time.
I'm not an Anderson hater but like you I'm very thankful they aren't here and Gould is. Every club needs someone who has unique abilities and ways to attract quality and success, even if they have different roles, like Politis or Bellamy, or even a player like Thurston. The Andersons don't have that in modern footy, but Gould is one of the best.

I'm not that worried about Baz. I reckon he'll either do much better or be punted pretty quick next year.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever anyone’s feelings on Trent he will retain the clipboard for at least the start of 2022, so it’s a somewhat pointless debate at this time.

Whilst we still have a couple of key puzzle pieces to solve (9, 7), the 2022 squad looks significantly stronger than the current lot who have been very disappointing.

I’m willing to give Baz until Round 10 2022. If we have not shown significant improvement and are 3/7 instead of 7/3 (or similar) to start the year, the hangman’s noose will appear and you’ll get no argument from me then. Then the ‘Told ya!’ posts can begin :-).

In the meantime, roll on 1 November and a new pre-season with a clean slate.
The other thing with those who want a new coach for 2022 - who? No, it won’t be Skeletor, so who is credentialed and available? I can’t think of a standout candidate, but happy to be corrected.
Not sure if you need my tick of approval :laughing: but this is pretty much what i would have posted and you have nailed it and saved me some time.

It is TOO soon and unworkable to do such a thing now some more patience is required, i also think Bennett isn't an option anyway.
So chill a bit is my advice also to those in the sack mentality corner(for your own mental health status as well), i will say i'll also be on board the coach has to go train if things aren't VASTLY better towards the middle of next year.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought he had a "thing" for Featherington now your saying it's Baz? :laughing:
Haha I don’t know who he likes and doesn’t like week to week but I’m only joking anyway. Coaching the dogs the last few seasons wouldn’t be good for anybody’s health.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What...? Seriously I know a few of you bloke want to give him a chance and he deserves a go and all that bullshit.. But FMD don't let a few facts get in the way of the story you are telling. I am as pissed off as anyone at Des (more so at the club management of the time for allowing him) to destroy our cap the way he did, but what a crock of shit to compare Barrett to Hasler as coaches..

One has coached 2 sperate teams to multiple Grand Finals (5 in total) winning 2 premierships and has a career coaching win percentage of 57%, the other is Barrett.

Trent Barrett will never coach us to a premiership...ever.
I’m not a Barrett Fan but Des isn’t even close to being on the great coaches list.

Dessies success across the years are all based on short term vision. With a Couldn’t care less about the fallout.

He ruined Manly for years with backend deals & then we took him and let him do the same with us.

His way is all about the now.Screw the consequences.

Stacking his roster. Paying players that are worth say $500k only $300k this year but in three years time we will pay you $900k.

From a Salary cap stand point it gives him a very short window with a stacked roster for success.

Because I’m a couple of years time he cripples the club. With a team full of hugely overpaid average players.

Des along with the administration that gave him the keys to our club at the time. Will go down in the Clubs history as one of if not the lowest times in our history.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m not a Barrett Fan but Des isn’t even close to being on the great coaches list.

Dessies success across the years are all based on short term vision. With a Couldn’t care less about the fallout.

He ruined Manly for years with backend deals & then we took him and let him do the same with us.

His way is all about the now.Screw the consequences.

Stacking his roster. Paying players that are worth say $500k only $300k this year but in three years time we will pay you $900k.

From a Salary cap stand point it gives him a very short window with a stacked roster for success.

Because I’m a couple of years time he cripples the club. With a team full of hugely overpaid average players.

Des along with the administration that gave him the keys to our club at the time. Will go down in the Clubs history as one of if not the lowest times in our history.
Yeah, they were so pissed off with him after he fucked our cap after fucking theirs, they took him back on a multi year contract…

Like I said, I am no fan of his time at our club but not because of the results. 2 x GFs in 5 years is good in anyones books. I am no fan because he ignored our junior program because of the short term focus he had to win at all costs. But, that was our boards fault for giving him that control and power.

Same at Manly, but make no mistake Des is a very very good coach. But he should never be allowed to have the power he had at the dogs and I am sure Manly learnt from the first experience.

You can spin it anyway you like 5 GF’s and 2 premierships is a CV very few coaches have.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah, they were so pissed off with him after he fucked our cap after fucking theirs, they took him back on a multi year contract…

Like I said, I am no fan of his time at our club but not because of the results. 2 x GFs in 5 years is good in anyones books. I am no fan because he ignored our junior program because of the short term focus he had to win at all costs. But, that was our boards fault for giving him that control and power.

Same at Manly, but make no mistake Des is a very very good coach. But he should never be allowed to have the power he had at the dogs and I am sure Manly learnt from the first experience.

You can spin it anyway you like 5 GF’s and 2 premierships is a CV very few coaches have.
The salty fans will always try and spin it and claim Des is a shit coach but the facts prove otherwise.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Good morning to you as well mate :tearsofjoy: please excuse my aggressive greetings I am afflicted with a rare but treatable disease called pharkinbarrettitis which has symptoms similar to roid rage and chronic diarrhea...

However I digress, you know that I also know exactly the time frames of Pays demise and also Barrett's hiring along with the changes to both boards in the middle of it, we discussed all of it many times.

I am sure you recall me suggesting to you many times that time was of the essence and if we don't act we will miss out on the right coach. By the time the mob that was in charge at the time acted we had already wasted another season, missed on some good coaches and players that signed elsewhere. And then, out of literally nowhere we signed a failed FG coach who had 1 year as a assistant coach at Penrith but was somehow now the "attack God"...

Wayne Bennett said he was going home for family reasons because he was going to be involved with the second Brisbane team, but that's now not an option. I think Wayne would go back to his 1st wife before going to the mental asylum that is The Tigers and Parra have not recruited the players in the spine that can win a comp.

On the other hand we have recruited one of the fastest in the game in JAC, potentially a Freddy/Lockyer at 5/8 in Burton + Naden, TPJ, Vaughn, Thompson etc. and have BBO, Avo, Topine.... and have plenty of negotiating ability with players off contract this year and next.

He has already agreed with Gus once so the idea is not new to him and we are assembling a team of fairly big hitters in Khoury/Gould/Laundy/Hansen so I am sure somebody like Bennett who has the best man on man people skills in the game could squeeze the best out of the group and also attract a couple of players as well who could also see a premiership window..
Pharkinbarrettitis-21!
Mate do I need a vax or have to wear a mask?? :tearsofjoy:.

The biggest issue I see with your Skeletor theory is Khoury. He was on the board that agreed to hire Barrett, even before he was Chair. You can be assured he’s going to give him every chance to succeed (or enough rope to fail) and Gus’ appointment is likely part of that. Remember that Gus’ agreement with Skeletor ended in him getting pushed out of Penrith, so I don’t see that scenario repeating itself - not yet anyway.

We’ll see mate. I’m not specifically pro-Barrett like I wasn’t pro-Pay in the sense that I want what makes the Bulldogs win. I just don’t believe in scapegoats when they are not the only issue. If Barrett can’t make us win with who we’ve recruited we’ll know sooner rather than later and obviously there would be a change lined up by that time. I just don’t see it happening for the start of 2022, end of.