Round 5 Team

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He hasnt even proven that hes ready enough to handle the speed of reserve grade in a halves position let alone fg.
Hes 20 years old, has only had 16 first grade games, does have some positive highlights from those 16 games (last year vs souths when lewis got knocked out) and he's working with a new coach.

Vs Newcastle was very very quiet, I'd put that down to being a 20yr old with only a handful of first grade games
Vs Penrith the whole team was garbage
Vs Brisbane he was hindered by flanaghan

This whole season is going to be a work in progress.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hes 20 years old, has only had 16 first grade games, does have some positive highlights from those 16 games (last year vs souths when lewis got knocked out) and he's working with a new coach.

Vs Newcastle was very very quiet, I'd put that down to being a 20yr old with only a handful of first grade games
Vs Penrith the whole team was garbage
Vs Brisbane he was hindered by flanaghan

This whole season is going to be a work in progress.
What im saying is the pace of reserve grade is probably better for his development

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What im saying is the pace of reserve grade is probably better for his development
I know and I do see that point of view as another correct path. I'm just trying to put things into perspective, that averillo has some positives in his 16 first grade games (not all of those games were in the halves), that as a supporter base we're probably putting too much expectation on his performances, he's no barba or burton but there is talent there.

I'm just saying let him find his way, long term hopefully it pays out

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if it's possible but this is what I'd go with

1. Averillo
2. Dwz
3. Schoupp
4. Allen
5. Cotric
6. Lewis
7. Flanagan
8. Thompson
9. Deitz
10. Hetherington
11. Elliott
12. Atoni
13. Jackson

14. Ogden
15. Topine
16. Doorey
17. Smith/hoppa

Snoop

Waterboy
Reaction score
I believe Doggies to win this game. This is purely based on the Rabbitohs game. I think we are slowly starting to gel. With the boys back from suspension should give us a boost and hopefully Lewis pulls through concussion protocols. It’s the small errors and decisions that the boys are lacking. They just need to keep things simple. There are players who over play their role when not required. Just do your job and stick to what you’re good at. Everything then will fall into place.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You say energy? Did you not see the first try when cook went through the middle? It was between Britt and Ogden. Obviously you don’t know your footy.
No energy mention from me man...

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe Doggies to win this game. This is purely based on the Rabbitohs game. I think we are slowly starting to gel. With the boys back from suspension should give us a boost and hopefully Lewis pulls through concussion protocols. It’s the small errors and decisions that the boys are lacking. They just need to keep things simple. There are players who over play their role when not required. Just do your job and stick to what you’re good at. Everything then will fall into place.
yeah i thought even when Lewis was replaced there was a period of composure and 14-0 at halftime was not a true reflection of the effort.
Unfortunately cohesion was lost in the second half and souths experienced game management was always going to get us.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the point of sticking with lewis? He has no future at the club, this has already been answered in previous seasons. Jake maybe does have a future. This season should be about building for the future and working out which players to keep by giving them a chance in 1st grade.

Jake's struggling with the speed of the game, ie speed of making decisions. He's not going to benefit from reserves, the games played at a slower speed.

Jake needs to learn to inject himself and that comes with more games, he's showed in the past he has a kicking game, he needs to learn to inject himself for kicking too.
Also there is no way Lewis will be cleared to play in 7 days after being knocked out a week ago. It's 12 days minimum which isn't a bad thing anyway. Playing Lewis is such a backward step.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The stats were even (obviously not scoring wise) but we completed better. Only had a few more missed tackles than rabbits. More kicks/ kick metres, more forced drop outs 4-1, higher % kick defusal, and less errors.
If we could have converted some of them opportunities into points it would have a been a close game. All comes down to inexperience in key positions.
We will get there. Maybe not this week but I just hope the boys dig in.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The stats were even (obviously not scoring wise) but we completed better. Only had a few more missed tackles than rabbits. More kicks/ kick metres, more forced drop outs 4-1, higher % kick defusal, and less errors.
If we could have converted some of them opportunities into points it would have a been a close game. All comes down to inexperience in key positions.
We will get there. Maybe not this week but I just hope the boys dig in.
I remember once Matty Johns was talking about a bad period they were going through and then one day everything just clicked together.

I think we're going to experience that this late this season, it's just going to click. This doesn't mean we start storming and winning games but just that our game play is going to click at some stage and then when we get Burton, JAC and hopefully some more forwards for next year, we should be in good stead for next season.

This season is purely about exploration and discover (of our players) for Barrett and I don't think we should expect too much this year and only aim for improvement game by game

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doorey has to play. I'd even start with him and Elliott on the edges. I'd also start with Topine at DH and maybe move him to backrow later, depending on how the game and his fitness are going. Schoupp needs to come in for Hoppa asap. Flanagan needs to start living up to his mouth. I don't think Thompson, without match fitness, will help much but great to have him back anyway.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1: Allan
2: Cotric (time to play him at his best position, right wing)
3: Averillo
4: Hopoate
5: DWZ
6: Lewis
7: Flanagan
8: Thompson
9: Topine
10: Hetherington
11: Elliott
12: Jackson
13: Renouf

14: Deitz (promote him. We need an attacking spark)
15: Doorey
16: Ogden
17: Waddell/Crapa
Strong team.. will lose by at least 30

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should start with Thompson and Ogden in the middle