Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Post Game Discussion Thread

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I got no idea why we signed him in the first place he’s always been a reserve grader. If Tracey isn’t fit yet put critta back there

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm shocked a few were left out TBH. Xerri did enough in the trials to get a run over Wilson. I would have had Criita at FB xerri in the centres and Tracey on the wing and Sexton in the halves. Ciro fucked us before we even ran on the field... He was happy with out defensive effort! We let in 26 points FFS. I get that para had the weight of possession but that was on us..
I’d say Crichton has always been planned at centre, ‘buying him as a fullback’ never made sense to me in the ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ kinda way.

Definitely agree that Xerri should have been there instead of Wilson but in the centres with Kiraz to wing, Kiraz is not a centre and never will be. Tracey is a much better player than Taaffe and should be playing fullback. Not sure about Sexton, I think it’s worth persisting with Hutchison for a while, he was pretty good defensively on Saturday and seems capable of being the organiser we need when Burton finally realises he‘s there for more than punting a kick.

All that said… of course Ciraldo will make a single change this week, Tracey or Xerri in for JAC.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this guy played fullback in a grand final.
They lost.

But Taaffe has been a good player. He had a loss of confidence in the Sharks trial game, and has been a bit delicate ever since. I don't think Ciro will put him up against the Sharks this week.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And watching him get completely man handled with ease.
I got no issue with Taafe apart from that... We cannot start our sets off on the back foot. He gets man handled far too easily and becomes a domino effect after that.

Considering we have no forward pack, we CANNOT afford this.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got no idea why we signed him in the first place he’s always been a reserve grader. If Tracey isn’t fit yet put critta back there
we got him
Before we purchased Tracey and let’s be honest even if taffe is a reserve grader he is still
Better then Perham.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They lost.

But Taaffe has been a good player. He had a loss of confidence in the Sharks trial game, and has been a bit delicate ever since. I don't think Ciro will put him up against the Sharks this week.
He looked good/great over the years at Souths (in both grades), he looked very poor in T2 and R1 though.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
we got him
Before we purchased Tracey and let’s be honest even if taffe is a reserve grader he is still
Better then Perham.
Perham would have been lucky to make last weeks Reserve Grade team, has Massey Cup not started yet?

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I got no issue with Taafe apart from that... We cannot start our sets off on the back foot. He gets man handled far too easily and becomes a domino effect after that.

Considering we have no forward pack, we CANNOT afford this.
With the rule changes Fullbacks are meant to get a better 'start' from the kick, but we were woeful the last two games (T2 and R1).

DFLWatto

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We all know Ciro will just keep picking him, apparently he’s a stubborn motherfker. If he makes proper changes this week, it will blow my mind.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the rule changes Fullbacks are meant to get a better 'start' from the kick, but we were woeful the last two games (T2 and R1).
He is great at getting to the ball and returning it time wise but once he gets tackled its a completely dominant tackle which helps the opposition set a line for the next tackle and tackle after that. We struggle with yardage which means bigger kick, which then means a longer chase and by the end of it the players are to buggered to make any impact in defense.

Cant have it.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perham would have been lucky to make last weeks Reserve Grade team, has Massey Cup not started yet?
I watched the reserves game on Sunday and I’m not solely blaming Perham but jeez that side got exposed in defensively. He wasn’t too bad with ball in hand.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I understand the appeal of a ball playing fullback. I can see why CC has tried to find his Edwards/Walsh type of fullback. He tried it players who were former halves (Averillo, Taaffe and Perham).

Taaffe’s confidence has been shot since the Sharks trial. He made some errors in attack in the Storm trial. I want use to try Tracey if fit and move Crichton to the right side to help balance the side.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
My team as well :grinning:
Love to see that next game. It has the look of experience in the right positions.
Skelton has a future in game, but he has to get his defence in order.
Positional play was terrible. Up too flat and could not turn and chase.
Parramatta ran all their plays at him and Perham and made Loizou look like a world beater.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listen I don’t think Crichton long term should be our FB. But when you have a crap team your best players need the ball. So just for the year I think he needs to be there

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I angrily reacted post game and cancelled Kayo. I just simply cannot understand how we have just not shown any improvement in attack in almost 10 years with so many different coaches (Potter exception).

I dont understand what they do all off season/at training? Ok defence improved a bit but wtf did you do to account for the small forward pack? Where was the attack plan? I dont care about the possession %. Im not the only one that stated (multiple pundits have) that we still looked like dog shit when we had the ball in hand and had it for a decent time.

We are still running one out bullshit, still Bitchton is lost as fuck thinking about the earth being flat, mahoney thinks he's jesus the savior, etc.

What is the problem? Is it Ciraldo? Is it Gus? Should we have signed Flanno?(hes got dragons looking sharp as fuck so far).

I dont want "fuck off and support another club" comments. I need some explanation, which is impossible anyways. Outside some voodoo doll Hasler curse, i dont see any other reason as to why we are still shit in attack.

Does Ciraldo actually have no idea? Its seeming so every week passes.

As you can see, if i didnt care about us i wouldnt be losing time posting and asking.

I know its round 1. But what were they doing to account for small pack? (Sorry ive gone and started on the loop again...)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't like any of our spine players tbf.

1. Taffee - reserve grade fill in FB or 14 at best.

6. Burton - has repeatedly shown his has no ability to talk or organise his edge / team.

7. Hutchinson - career utility who has never locked down a spot, plus another Roosters discard.

9. Mahoney - use to be good before his shoulder injury, gets bumped off and misses tackles regularly and he can't even pass off the ground now slowing us down. He also suffers from trying too hard and overplaying his hand.

In regards to ability and cohesion I think we arguably have the worst spine in the comp. Only team that rivals us there would probably be the Dolphins with Katoa/Nikorima and O'Sullivan in the halves.
Dragons and Tigers are above us with Hunt and Bula/Koriosau.